Sigma 18-50 f/3.5-5.6 DC

Hi-

Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC?
I'll be using it with Canon 10D.

I'm more interested in bang for the buck, than ultimate performance.

Also- will it work with a film body? I realize the picture will have
dark corners. Still, It might be an interesting effect.

Cheers
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about sigma
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    I've read many reviews and opinions that Sigma 18-50/3.5-5.6 DC is a little
    sharper than Canon 18-55 and better built. But if you have already the
    Canon's with a kit, then I think it's better to get something like
    55-200/4-5.6 DC which also have good reviews and it's only $160.
    Actually, both lenses are sold now as a set for $260 at B&H, Adorama...
    I have Canon 18-55 and didn't test it long enough, but I've seen very very
    nice images of others.
    I'm considering right now a few not expensive lenses, like
    Sigma 28-200/3.5-5.6 Compact Hyper Zoom Aspher. Macro...or Canon
    80-200/4.5-5.6 II...or Sigma 55-200/4-5.6 DC...or Sigma 28-80/3.5-5.6
    Aspher. macro(Popular Phot. magazine tested it and says "impressive
    results")....or Canon 28-105/4-5.6 USM IF - it's not the more expensive
    one, but according to Pop. Phot. magazine, it produced very sharp slides...
    So...I'm still thinking...
    Zal

    "Michael Beacom" <mbeacom03@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC?
    > I'll be using it with Canon 10D.
    >
    > I'm more interested in bang for the buck, than ultimate performance.
    >
    > Also- will it work with a film body? I realize the picture will have
    > dark corners. Still, It might be an interesting effect.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Mike
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Michael Beacom <mbeacom03@earthlink.net> wrote in news:mbeacom03-
    0F8F60.02455615052005@news1.east.earthlink.net:

    > Hi-
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC?
    > I'll be using it with Canon 10D.
    >
    > I'm more interested in bang for the buck, than ultimate performance.
    >
    > Also- will it work with a film body? I realize the picture will have
    > dark corners. Still, It might be an interesting effect.

    I have this lens and I have seen a photo from a film camera taken with it.
    The affect on a film body is boring and it is not a case of dark corners,
    but dark edges too!

    I don't think it is a very good lens, but it is cheap. I bought it because
    I rarely use wide angle and I didn't want to pay very much at all for the
    rare times I would use it. I find that it works and costs little, if you
    actually use wide angle quite a bit and want good quality then you should
    look at the Canon 17-40 f4L (I have a friend who uses this on his 10D).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    In article <mbeacom03-0F8F60.02455615052005@news1.east.earthlink.net>,
    Michael Beacom <mbeacom03@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > Hi-
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC?
    > I'll be using it with Canon 10D.
    >
    > I'm more interested in bang for the buck, than ultimate performance.
    >
    > Also- will it work with a film body? I realize the picture will have
    > dark corners. Still, It might be an interesting effect.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Mike

    Thanks for the replies!

    I was at the camera store the other day, and found a nice looking Tokina
    19-35mm f 3.5-4.5 for $110, in the "used" case. Looked good, nice zoom
    range, and the price was right, with no shipping costs. Took a chance,
    and bought it. The first pictures look good, I think it's a keeper.

    Cheers
    Mike
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    I just bought a Rebel XT with a Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC. I was
    originally looking at buying the Rebel XT kit but they were sold out,
    so the dealer offered the Sigma 18-50 for the same price. Based on what
    little I knew, plus the 'feel' in store (better manual control), the
    Sigma appeared to be a better choice in this instance. Henrys' also has
    a 50% flat exchange for the purchase price of individual lenses should
    I decide to upgrade within 12 months, whereas the Canon kit lense is
    worth almost nothing even as a trade-in.

    I have a few days to get a complete refund so if anyone feels strongly
    that this was a bad move (Sigma for Canon kit lense) let me know here
    and I'll get my money back. I'm assuming at worst its a wash, and at
    best its marginally better.

SLR Photo Cameras