Floppy Drive-missing

I just updated from ME to XP professional and I no longer
can access my floppy drive. When I go to my computer it
is not even listed. When I go to device manager, the
floppy drive is listed however, it has a yellow
exclamation mark on it. When I click on the drive it
says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this
hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code
39) I have tried un-installing and re-installing but to
no avail. I have also tried windows updates and that did
not work either. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

When you say uninstalling, is that the driver or the
device? The driver is almost certainly the generic XP
floppy driver.

Try removing the floppy controller from the device
manager after removing the floppy drive, then scan for
hardware changes. If the devices redetect but the drivers
still show up bad the floppy drive may well be bad. (I've
seen several of those lately in late model IBMs, but I
don't recall the make of drive.) Do verify that the
floppy is turned on in the CMOS (BIOS) if it doesn't
detect at all - ditto for the controller.

Mike