Sign in with
Your question

Get an additional Nvidia Card or a new, powerful one?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2012 11:37:08 AM

Hello People,

I am currently running with the following setup.
MB : Gigabyte 970A-DS3
RAM : 8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance PC1600
GPU : ATi HD5770v2 1GB
CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE (4x3,4 GHz)

And nothing special else, no SSD or anything fancy. And i am currently planning on adding a card plainly for PhysX to my Setup, to be able to enjoy the Experience of PhysX. I was thinking to either add a cheap Nvidia Card to run for PhysX only to my HD5770. Is this worth it or is the other way, buying a new Nvidia Card, like the GTX660, more efficent? I am currently trying not to buy a GTX660, as i experienced only negative aspects when i was running an only-nvidia-gpu system. Also, their price is far too high for the performance they are giving.
Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
AkumaSlayR
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 12:33:55 PM

I'd say sell your HD 5770 for around $80 and put that money towards a GTX 650 Ti.

And running any single-GPU setup is always better than SLI or CrossfireX - and much better than trying to hack your PC to get two different brands to work together.
October 26, 2012 1:29:20 PM

Budget? Also which games you are planing to play and at which resolution/quality? And when do you want the card?
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 26, 2012 1:30:57 PM

Go for the 660. A much more efficient upgrade.
October 26, 2012 1:54:18 PM

It's better to buy the best single GPU you can afford, rather that running 2 lesser cards in SLI or CrossFire.

I believe PhysX is a nVidia technology, and if you're buying new I'd go with PCIe 3.0 cards, which is the GTX 600 series for nVidia.
a c 141 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 26, 2012 11:07:10 PM

PhysX is an Nvidia proprietary technology. You can get a low end Nvidia card as a PhysX card and use an AMD card as your main GPU using a hacked PhysX driver if you don't want to go with just an Nvidia card.

Really PhysX has not taken off. We're down to a slow trickle of games coming out that even support it. Borderlands 2 and the upcoming Hawken are the only major titles this year that supports GPU accelerated PhysX. Click here to see a list of games that support PhysX, only the ones that support GPU will work with an Nvidia card. A number of those games will only work with the now defunct PPUs from Ageia. If you don't actually play any of those games, no point in worrying about PhysX.
October 27, 2012 5:41:24 PM

Supernova1138 said:
PhysX is an Nvidia proprietary technology. You can get a low end Nvidia card as a PhysX card and use an AMD card as your main GPU using a hacked PhysX driver if you don't want to go with just an Nvidia card.

Really PhysX has not taken off. We're down to a slow trickle of games coming out that even support it. Borderlands 2 and the upcoming Hawken are the only major titles this year that supports GPU accelerated PhysX. Click here to see a list of games that support PhysX, only the ones that support GPU will work with an Nvidia card. A number of those games will only work with the now defunct PPUs from Ageia. If you don't actually play any of those games, no point in worrying about PhysX.

I Do want to play both Hawken and BL2. I dont really need PhysX, but it does look neat, indeed. I do not intend to go for a primary Nvidia Card, since they are pricewise way higher than their AMD counterparts. I did intend to buy a good, new ATi with a 50-100€ Nvidia Card as PhysX Contributor, all i was asking about is if it is worth the costs or if i should invest the money in a single Nvidia, even though i prefer not to do so.

Thanks for the reply!

Also, i just upgraded both my RAM and my MB. My RAM is now 8 GB DDR3 1333 and my MB is now the Asus M5A97 R2.0. Hope this could help you help me :p 
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 27, 2012 11:48:27 PM

I'm going to stick with the 660.
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 12:07:06 AM

Definitely GTX 660.
October 28, 2012 7:40:20 AM

jessterman21 said:
Definitely GTX 660.

The normal one or the Ti Version?
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 11:11:17 AM

Well, if you can afford the Ti, then definitely that - it's a good 15% better, but it may not be worth the extra $75.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 11:28:08 AM

AkumaSlayR said:
The normal one or the Ti Version?

Whichever suits your budget. Since you told me about the 660 before, go get it.
October 28, 2012 12:45:24 PM

I could actually get the Ti Version, my budget allows that, i could even get the 670, but if i really need it is the other question, since im running everything i play smoothly on maximum settings with my HD5770 already, the Nvidia Card would be for PhysX Purposes only. :p 
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 12:55:51 PM

Then the 660. I know it seems nicer if you can buy a Dedicated PhysX card, but In my opinion it's not. You can get performance boosts with getting a 660 which lets you stay with it for a quite a long time.
!