Sign in with
Your question

Is my GTX 580 done for?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2012 2:35:43 PM

Hey everybody,

So the story is I downloaded the latest driver for my EVGA GTX 580 today, version 306.97. I have rarely had trouble with NVIDIA drivers in the past so didn't think twice about installing it. Unfortunately the process failed so I immediately attempted to re-install the previous version (301.42).

This also failed and it was at this point that I realized my system no longer recognized my GPU.

So I opened up the case to find there was a small patch of what looked to be an oily substance that may have seeped out of the join on the side of the card. This has me worried that the GPU may have overheated leading to the malfunction.

Anyway I took the card out and gave it a good clean (the fan had a fair amount of dust on it but not enough to block the air-flow) with some compressed air from a can and plugged everything back in.

Booting up I find that my 580 is still not being recognized but it's fan is spinning normally and is transmitting image to my 1440p display (although now limited to 1600x1200).

I tried the NVIDIA site again but the automatic detector could not find the gpu in my system.

The ambient temps here are getting warmer but not that warm and I havn't been gaming or have done anything GPU intensive for a while. That and the fact that the card crapped out at the very moment I tried to update the driver has me thinking that it's more than a coinciedence.

I am just about ready to clean install W7 as my system has been buggy lately anyway but I don't know if this will even help with my graphics problem.

Can anyone help me understand what may have happened to my card?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

More about : gtx 580

October 26, 2012 2:58:22 PM

Try Removing the card and see what that " oily substance " is. I don't think its software related.
m
l
October 26, 2012 3:06:10 PM

I have had a look and it's basically a dark patch of what looks like some kind of oil. It's mainly dry so i can't really be 100% sure that's what it is but that's how I would describe it.

The card isn't water cooled or anything - what could it really be and why would the GPU decide to malfunction right when I tried to update drivers?

Thanks for your input.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 6:00:02 PM

Hey good news!

I just did a clean install of W7 and while the GPU still wasn't showing up, the process cleared out all the crap that was slowing the system down and made things more responsive...

Anyway I happened to stumble across the original cd that came with the 580 and thought hell I'll give it a go so installed the drivers from the disc and now i'm back to full native res and 3GB memory!

A bit scared now to upgrade to newer drivers again but the original issue probably arose from the buggy mess that was my system before the clean install so I should be right to go.

So I guess it's all good!

Thanks for reading :D 
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 6:40:54 PM

Some of the latest drivers don't work very well on older cards so keep that in mind when you decide to update. Wait for a while and search around for any complaints or bug issues that other users report before upgrading to the latest drivers.
m
l
October 26, 2012 6:52:29 PM

Go to evga.com/forums and do a search for driver uninstall and reinstall there is a very good one put together by manic.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 6:57:20 PM

Sounds like something overheated and the solder/flux has melted and burned the card to me. If it is under warranty, send it back immediately. If not, remove the heatsink and snap some photos for us to look over.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 9:24:19 PM

maestro0428 said:
Sounds like something overheated and the solder/flux has melted and burned the card to me. If it is under warranty, send it back immediately. If not, remove the heatsink and snap some photos for us to look over.

Most def op u should do this even tho you fixed it software wize..Your card shouldnt of been anything oily so get that checked out as well..
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 9:47:16 PM

maestro0428 said:

+1 i know your happy right now because it's working again and that's great i am glad for you but honestly snap us some pics if possible
m
l
October 27, 2012 5:24:40 AM

Ok first up thanks for your all of your input, really appreciated.

The card is still under warranty and I havn't done anything to void that so sending away for a replacement is an option.

For all interested here's a photo that should show you the stain I have mentioned.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5528/staino.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality but you get the idea.

Thoughts?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 6:18:59 AM

Hard to tell from the pic, is it a big stain running from above the "EVGA" to above the "GTX".

Flux is the only oily thing I can think of that would come from a card, but there seems to be a lot of it there
m
l
October 27, 2012 6:27:21 AM

Yeah it's in that area. Bit of a worry, hey.

I think i could RMA the card but the problem is that EVGA may not have stock of this particular model any more - perhaps only kepler now.

I would be pleased to upgrade to 6xx series if it were only for games but my 3D work applications do not yet fully support kepler architecture. It's a complex issue.

Anyway I'll see how it pans out.

Cheers.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 7:00:05 AM

They will still have 580's, like I said though it would take a lot of flux to run down and drip off the edge of the card, but maybe its showing up more cos its black...

Either way if it definitely came from the card, I would be RMAing it.
m
l
October 27, 2012 11:43:09 AM

Good to hear that I should get a similar replacement if that's what it comes down to.

I can't see where else the substance would have come from. Perhaps I'll ask on the EVGA forums and see if it's happened before.

Thx.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 6:49:01 PM

Yea best to at least raise the issue with them now, that way you'll have a record if it does lead to RMA
m
l
!