Ivy Bridge Graphics + Discrete Graphics Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchful Raven

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hello All,

This is something I've been wondering for a while. I have a Z77 board with an 3570k cpu, which has integrated graphics. On that same board, I have 2 Nvidia GTX 680s in SLI running and they run great. Windows Updates keeps wanting me to install the driver for my CPU graphics. My question is this: If I install the graphics driver for my Ivy Bridge CPU, will my system shift to that graphics driver or will the CPU simply just take some heat off my discrete cards with them running as well? Does my system switch to the integrated graphics or does the CPU graphics run along with the discrete? I don't wanna switch my system to integrated graphics. I'm just wondering if I do install the driver if that will run some of my graphics so my 680s don't have to.

Thanks in advanced guys!

Solution
By installing the driver you're just, well, installing the driver. The motherboard bios decides (by you) which to use, integrated or discrete. It's either one or the other, not both.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
By installing the driver you're just, well, installing the driver. The motherboard bios decides (by you) which to use, integrated or discrete. It's either one or the other, not both.

Solution
I think it is more complicated than that.

There were some issues associated with SB iGP and a discreet. Discreet drivers and the Intel HD iGP would barf and effectively shut off the iGP (and stop your use of things like QuickSync)

With Ivy, you need a functioning iGP for things like OpenCL.

Do the install - it likely will not harm you. If you have an issue, simply revert to your previous restore point.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Didn't know that, good looking wisecracker

I would disagree. Amd drivers had issues running with other display drivers causing driver issues for both. But running off the igpu with the amd card disabled was fine even with amd drivers present. I run my hd 3000 perfectly fine with my 560ti since day 1 when z68 came out. Also opencl can be used by any modern gpu.

Unless you are running virtu your igpu will be disabled with no monitor plugged into it. Virtu is also the only way for any graphics work to be offloaded from any discrete cards.

PS: Discrete and discreet are different words/meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.