Solved

Pc build questions

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2012 1:46:29 AM

my system will be built purely for the purpose of gaming. I do not intend on video encoding, nor photo shop. I am looking for real world performance. I will game at 1080p resolutions.

before i ask my first question i understand that the intel 1155 chipset dose perform better then AMD cpu's/apu's.

question
would there be a substantial difference in terms of game performance between using a phenom II 965 as opposed to a intel I5-3750k, if the fps difference between them is +/- 5, id rather spend less money. i guess i am asking is the price of 3750k worth spending the $120 or so. i realise that a bottleneck would occur in the future, so i would deffiently overclock either cpu to eliminate the problem. i would push either to 4.0ghz to eliminate a bottleneck, and thermal design power really is not an issue i am concerned about, unless i should be?

* also from what i have read and understand phenom II do just as good in games as the newer AMD cpu*

also, since most games do not utilize more than 2 cores, i find that that by the time games do use more, would be in years to come.

also, i realise the argument could be made that an i3-2120 being a very viable option, but in real world performance, would it be worth the $30 or so extra on that cpu. and is it not crippling in other areas to have those 2 cores being used while i could have an amd quad core?

and i need a motherboard to go along with the cpu, i was considering asus fromula z for amd( i know it seems a bit rediculous spend almost triple the amount for a motherboard then a cpu), and the msi mpower for intel, but would it be overkill for gaming?, i know that better caps = better power dlievery etc, so would this benefit me or should i just save myself a the money and get gigabyte ud3's, or other?

based on benchmarks in the future i may xfire my 7870, depending price/performance vs getting a new card.

More about : build questions

December 17, 2012 2:58:24 PM

"my system will be built purely for the purpose of gaming"

Purely for gaming there is no better then 3570k

even i7 does the same in gaming xD
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 17, 2012 5:47:44 PM

T91 said:
my system will be built purely for the purpose of gaming. I do not intend on video encoding, nor photo shop. I am looking for real world performance. I will game at 1080p resolutions.

before i ask my first question i understand that the intel 1155 chipset dose perform better then AMD cpu's/apu's.

question
would there be a substantial difference in terms of game performance between using a phenom II 965 as opposed to a intel I5-3750k, if the fps difference between them is +/- 5, id rather spend less money. i guess i am asking is the price of 3750k worth spending the $120 or so. i realise that a bottleneck would occur in the future, so i would deffiently overclock either cpu to eliminate the problem. i would push either to 4.0ghz to eliminate a bottleneck, and thermal design power really is not an issue i am concerned about, unless i should be?

* also from what i have read and understand phenom II do just as good in games as the newer AMD cpu*

also, since most games do not utilize more than 2 cores, i find that that by the time games do use more, would be in years to come.

also, i realise the argument could be made that an i3-2120 being a very viable option, but in real world performance, would it be worth the $30 or so extra on that cpu. and is it not crippling in other areas to have those 2 cores being used while i could have an amd quad core?

and i need a motherboard to go along with the cpu, i was considering asus fromula z for amd( i know it seems a bit rediculous spend almost triple the amount for a motherboard then a cpu), and the msi mpower for intel, but would it be overkill for gaming?, i know that better caps = better power dlievery etc, so would this benefit me or should i just save myself a the money and get gigabyte ud3's, or other?

based on benchmarks in the future i may xfire my 7870, depending price/performance vs getting a new card.

In my opinion unless you have more than say 1500$ to spend the best thing you can do is to find the parts that will give you the most bang for the buck..which parts you need to spend more on depends on the purpose for the build..for a gaming system it makes more sense to spend more on a good gpu..
December 18, 2012 2:56:11 AM

my thanks goes to nix327, and aquendix for your replies.

I have decided on an i5- 3750k paired with the Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard.

thanks for the links, and your opinions it is appreciated!
m
l
January 6, 2013 3:52:53 AM

actually ended up getting the mpower motherboard :) 
m
l
January 6, 2013 3:53:25 AM

Best answer selected by T91.
m
l