Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightbulbie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Hi, I'm looking for an upgrade from my little GT 220 video card and I only have a 450w PSU. Should I upgrade my PSU and card or just get a new card? I'm a gamer and I'm just looking for something to run newer games.

Specs

AMD Athlon II x4 ( 2.6 )
8GB DDR2 @400mhz
Pegatron m2n78-la motherboard
Nvidia GT 220 1GB DDR2
WD Green 1TB @7200rpm
5 fans-1 200mm, 2 80mm, 1 PCI dual-fan @80mm

I've been told to just make a whole new system, even though my CPU works extremely well for being 3 years old and abused. (Flew off the heatsink and landed in the sink, works better after that for some reason.)

NOTE: I don't care for 100+ FPS on Ultra; I'm fine with 60fps on medium setting so nothing huge.

Solution
Although it's not in the top tier of supplies it'll be plenty for your system, including any card that uses a single PCI-E connector.
Looks like you're good to make a decision.
Given your requirements' I'd suggest the GTX650Ti (the Ti is importaint) over the HD7770.
This looks nice: Factory overclock, good warranty and EVGA seem to offer some of the best customer support around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839
Do n't worry about the the PCI-E revision, they're forward and backward compatable, so pretty well any card you want will run in it without issues.
But, there are powersupplies and there are powersupplies: Some are good, some excellent and some barely worthy of being paperweights. With that in mind, please give us the exact make and model of yours.
Assuming you're not powering the system with a paperweight ;) Simon12 makes a good suggestion but if you want to stay with Nvidia the GTX650 Ti is a little faster.
Anything much more powerful is likely to be held back by the CPU, and will almost certainly require a powersupply upgrade.

Although it's not in the top tier of supplies it'll be plenty for your system, including any card that uses a single PCI-E connector.
Looks like you're good to make a decision.
Given your requirements' I'd suggest the GTX650Ti (the Ti is importaint) over the HD7770.
This looks nice: Factory overclock, good warranty and EVGA seem to offer some of the best customer support around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.