Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best Windows for gaming.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 28, 2012 3:36:48 AM

I recently bought a new pc.It's specs are- i3 2100 with asus p8h61 mlx 4gb crossair, seagate 1 tb and a 8600 gt(from my old pc)..............now I just need the pc for gaming...............so should i go for ultimate 64 bit since the pre installed 32 bit recognizes only 2.92 gb of my ram???

More about : windows gaming

February 28, 2012 3:53:03 AM

64 bit would allow you to use all 4gb, but actually runs best on 8gb ram. The Home Premium OEM version is a lot less expensive than Ultimate and works just as well.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 4:10:42 AM

Above poster is right. Unless you need the ability to switch languages on the fly in Windows and want Windows XP mode (which btw Virtual Box can do just as well) Windows 7 Home Premium 64 is the best option. A lot of hardcore builders like to have Ultimate more for bragging rights rather than actual need.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 4:38:55 AM

tlmck said:
64 bit would allow you to use all 4gb, but actually runs best on 8gb ram. The Home Premium OEM version is a lot less expensive than Ultimate and works just as well.

lol how does windows 7 run better on 8gb over 4gb ram lol
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 28, 2012 4:39:52 AM

Win 7 home premium 64bit is good for gaming. You dont need Ultimate 64bit.

64bit will give you more responsive system when multitasking, like when gaming, you can switch to another program more quickly. Also you can use lots of memory intensive program at same time smoothly.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 4:41:00 AM

Boopoo said:
lol how does windows 7 run better on 8gb over 4gb ram lol

Search for the Tom's article where they proved it in testing.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 28, 2012 4:53:27 AM

But 4gb is still not fully utilize by windows 7. Even when i play BF3, it dont use more than 3.2gb. Few program can use 3.5gb. So 8gb is useless unless there is high memory intensive program.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 5:25:26 AM

mubin said:
But 4gb is still not fully utilize by windows 7. Even when i play BF3, it dont use more than 3.2gb. Few program can use 3.5gb. So 8gb is useless unless there is high memory intensive program.

I was not really referring to how much ram is used. I was referring to how Windows 64 bit works faster and more efficiently with 8gb ram.

Once again, search Tom's. You'll find at least two articles that discuss this in detail. One even as far back as Windows Vista which would still apply since Windows 7 is basically Vista underneath. The other is something like "Memory 101" or some such. There are a few other interesting facts about ram, such as speed being overrated etc.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 8:12:24 AM

tlmck said:
I was not really referring to how much ram is used. I was referring to how Windows 64 bit works faster and more efficiently with 8gb ram.

Once again, search Tom's. You'll find at least two articles that discuss this in detail. One even as far back as Windows Vista which would still apply since Windows 7 is basically Vista underneath. The other is something like "Memory 101" or some such. There are a few other interesting facts about ram, such as speed being overrated etc.

Well I use Linux so ya and it's faster than Window with 8gb and I am on 4gb in Linux
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 8:27:16 AM

Boopoo said:
Well I use Linux so ya and it's faster than Window with 8gb and I am on 4gb in Linux

You want fast Linux, try Peppermint OS One or Lubuntu.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 9:04:31 AM

tlmck said:
You want fast Linux, try Peppermint OS One or Lubuntu.

I am almost brand new to Linux I am getting my feet wet in 11.10 Oneric Ocelot and if I could just get all my games playing decent I would be happy 100% do you which GPUs run OpenGL the best ?
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 9:15:39 AM

Boopoo said:
I am almost brand new to Linux I am getting my feet wet in 11.10 Oneric Ocelot and if I could just get all my games playing decent I would be happy 100% do you which GPUs run OpenGL the best ?

Nvidia works best on OpenGL and Linux in general. The drivers are light years ahead of AMD.
m
0
l
!