ATI OR ASUS

G

Hey everyone.

Wow. I didn't know THG had a forum. this is cool. Ok, I have a Hercules Geforce 3 at the moment but am looking for something that will have more hardware.

so, at the moment, I'm looking at the ATI AIW Radeon 8500 and the Asus V8200 Deluxe (based on the GF 3)

which one is better? I read somewhere that ATIs Input quality was better. But I also play games so I don't want to lose a lot of PC gaming quality.

If I get the Asus, I would have to get the Asus TV box as well because the card alone does not come with a TV tuner. How is the quality of that box compared to ATIs built-in TV Tuner.

I also have the option of just keeping my Hercules and getting the nvidia personal cinema? how is that? is the quality good? Which companies actually make this product or is it directly made by nvidia?

Thanks alot everyone.

My baby:

AMD (rocks!) 1.2 GHz 266MHz Thunderbird OCed to 1.4GHz
256MB Crucial 266MHz DDR ram
Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo AMD 761 northbridge
LG 12x7x32x Burner
Panasonic 44x CD-Rom
Diamond 30GB ATA100 HDD
Soundblaster audigy X-gamer
Hercules GF3 64MB DDR
Enermax 350W power supply
6 FANS!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dream_theater84 on 12/14/01 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Several reviews state that ATI's card does much better in the multimedia department than NVidia. Mainly because ATI has been doing the AIW line since 97-98 and NVidia is just now starting to offer muiltimedia features. The AIW 8500 is fairly fast, only losing about 10% preformance to its faster 8500 Brother and should play your games fine. With the additional features, it is well worth the expense.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
I tend to agree. I decided to buy the 8500 AIW card a few weeks ago. Very impressed with all the features. Capture quality is very good. I'm not a hardcore gamer so I've been more than satisfied with the card's capabilities. A little dissapointed by the bugs in ATI's software bundle.

In the end for a top of the line TV/capture card you can't go wrong with ATI.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
you'll not lose PC gaming quality with the ATI AIW Radeon 8500 & it has a good quality tv tuner.

note:
for now there is a little loss of game performances because of its driver but it will be certainly fix with the next release.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy. :cool: