Sign in with
Your question

$3500-$3999 budget, need advice

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2012 10:03:23 AM

I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and plan to do a full upgrade when I get back. My question is should I wait for the next generation Hardware or will it be worth it to start buying components now so when I get home sometime in 2013 I have everything ready to go.
Also would it be better to go 1156 or 2011. I have heard that Intel is retiring the 2011 socket. Is that true?
I am upgrading from my current Rig which is in my public profile. Money really isnt an option but try to keep it under $4000 so go nuts.

Approximate Purchase Date:Sometime in 2013

Budget Range: $3500-$3999 after everything is said and done

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Benchmarking, Movies, surfing the net

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:
Cpu: Intel

Gpu: Preferably Nvidia but I am open to AMD. 2 or more

Mobo: Open to suggestions. I have had a lot of luck with my asus though
Ram: Again I have had a lot of luck with g-skill but open to suggestions.

Cpu Cooling: Water Cooling. Not an all in one unit.

Gpu cooling: More than likely air but if you can fit it into the budget, water.

HDD: I will probably keep my 1TB Seagate barracuda for storage. But may add at least another TB

SSD: Atleast 256MB possibly 2 for Raid

Disk drive: Will use my current

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA Gaming Super Tower

Psu: My 1000W Kingwin lazer if possible

Monitor: 24" LED backlit

Keyboard: no

Mouse: Yes
Do you need to buy OS: no

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Frozencpu

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, or Better

Additional Comments: I know it will be overkill but I have the money and nothing else to spend it on. I love overclocking and pushing everything I can to the limit for Benchmarking. I know it accounts for nothing but I love doing it.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Cause I can and want to

Again I still have about 6 months left in this deployment so if the latest and greatest will be released before I get back just let me know and I will wait. I am also open to any suggestions for any piece of hardware.

Thanks
December 15, 2012 4:43:29 PM

The latest and greatest will be out before you get home. Please be responsible with your money. There is no reason to spend more than $2000.
December 15, 2012 6:24:18 PM

Well if in 2013, later or sooner there'll be some new stoff.
But well:
Buy some recent plain stuff + well... its hard to say
Gpu: Any 690, for that budget
Cpu: 3770k would be enough for everything.
Cooler: nh-d14 will do exelent.
Mobo: Well, buy a good one, for future sli/x-fire ready <sorry i dont know mobos too good>
Case+Psu: buy enough big psu and a good case.
Ram: you dont need more than 8gb, but well 16 is you really are gona spend some monay. And maybey Low profile for the huge cooler.
Ssd: buy a 240gb one, maybey the newest one in 2013 when you are going to buy Pc
hdd: Buy 1.5tb, same as ^ssd^
Related resources
December 15, 2012 6:46:07 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
The latest and greatest will be out before you get home. Please be responsible with your money. There is no reason to spend more than $2000.

Depends on if you want some really nice monitors, and how high of a resolution you game at. That could easily add up tow 4k with all of the peripherals.
December 15, 2012 7:28:31 PM

ok then, this is what you dont need

-x79 because you are not working
-32gb of ram because you are not working
-fast ram because it voids your warranty
-a 690 because there are better cards that are less overkill
-raid because it has no noticeable differences other than in benchmarking (benchmarking is nothing more other than to show off) and in work

get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sDLs

you can keep the lazer and if you have a blackhawk ultra, keep that too. other wise dont get one

and this watercooling kit will do it for the CPU
http://www.crazypc.com/products/xspc-rx240-93812.html
!