First new system - Windows or hardware error?

I just built my first new system as a Christmas present for my brother. I have tried to install Windows 8 multiple times and keep getting an error or some sort. The screen goes crazy for a few seconds and then black. The monitor then acts like the computer is off or in sleep mode. Any ideas? I have tried chkdsk and get an error that says cannot lock the drive. I did get Windows to start in safe mode once, but have not been able to repeat.
3 answers Last reply
More about first system windows hardware error
  1. Sorry, but no help without any specs of your system and the EXACT error message.
  2. There is no error message. The What happens is what is shown in the picture. The specs are as follows:
    Asus M5A99x Evo
    OCZ Fata1ity 750 watt
    AMD 8-core FX-8150
    16 GB Corsair DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000dm003 1 TB HDD
    LG DB Combo
    Windows 8
  3. Forgot to add the video card. It is a EVGA GTX560DS. Anyone have any ideas? I'm leaning towards video card. My brother had tried to put it into a different computer and had issues. He figured it was from having too small of a power supply. I can't even install windows at this point. It gets to the point where it restarts and when it restarts that screen comes up. I've tried it on both a LCD monitor and a TV via HDMI. I can't get into safe mode anymore because Windows is not fully installed anymore.

Anyone have an idea?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Hardware Systems