how do you turn off boot/sys. start drivers??

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
preamble: I have an MSI 6380 (k7t266 pro-r) mb with built in promise (lite) raid.
The bios (award 1.6) i'm using has a disable raid feature.
I have NO hdd on the raid controllers. I have only 1 hdd.
I want to disable raid because it ties up system resources and it takes an extra 5-9 seconds at boot while it looks for a non-existant array.

problem:
after "disabling raid" in bios i get this message in the system log file.......

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Evian (evian is the promise raid driver)

Usually, within 72hrs of disabling raid, i will get at least one BOOT FAILURE. To correct this, i re-enable raid and the system then boots up fine.

Both MSI and Promise have failed to tell me how to fix this problem. So now i am here asking ...

how do i turn off boot/system devices if they are not being used?

TIA :)

G

Try this:

Enable the RAID in BIOS, boot as normal, then in W2K, under Device manager, remove the device (then try whatever else you know to physically remove the Evian drivers from system, good luck though with W2K's File Protection or whatever you want to call it). Then reboot, go in BIOS, disable RAID.

It seems to me that W2K keeps reserving resource and referring/calling to this device while it is no longer connected to the system through BIOS. I/O devices are always a pain and often would cause the boot failure. It's like disconnecting a USB device under W2K, u have to "soft" remove it first before physically remove it.

Good luck.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
hi :)

Thanks but i have already tried it that way too.

that way...i just have to get out my promise disk when i end up being forced to re-enable the raid.

G

OK,

This is by far a long shot, but try it anyhow:

Enable the RAID, go in W2K's Sys Info (start > programs > accessories > system tools) and find out what IRQ the RAID controller and all its related components are using, see anything being shared with it? If nothing ELSE other than the RAID and its component(s) is/are using a particular IRQ, then you [could be] lucky, remember or write down that IRQ number.

Then use W2K's Services manager (start > programs > administrative tools) and find all the services that is related to the RAID. Make sure that no other service(s) depend(s) on them, then disable them all. Remove the RAID device from Device Manager.

Reboot, go in BIOS. the IRQ u noticed above is not being shared by other components not related to the RAID, then disable that IRQ (this is by far a long shot, but if you feel like it, try it). Then disable the RAID. Reboot and see what happen.

If this does not solve your problem, then I don't know. You should really try to contact your mobo manufacturer and Promise. I know you have tried before and I know how MSI is bad with tech support (I have a MSI mobo too, I've sent them several emails at different times for question, NOTHING), but at this point if all of my methods fail, that's all I can think of next. You'll probably have better luck with Promise, although I have not have experience with their tech support yet.

Good luck

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
that's another problem too -- in that the registry describes evian as a service but there is no sign of it under services.

the irq is 11 and is shared by most everything else 'cause
of the way power management is handled now.