Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Need some help on a new case.
My build consists of:

Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Corsair Dominator GT 2133 (4x4gb, CL9)
Corsair AX850
EVGA GTX680 - willl be adding a second on in 6mos or less.
Unsure on CPU cooler, thinking about going to the H100, but until I decide on a case, holding off on that part of the build.

Need a case for this stuff, would like to start with air cooling, but have the option to play with some liquid cooling down the road.

My current rig is
Rampage Formula x48
E8400 @4ghz (oc)
EVGA 480GTX
Zalman GT1000 case.

I really like my current case, but its loud and the cooling is so so, also on air. I bought it because I really like the looks of it. Looked into moding it a few times and going all liquid on it, but its not really friendly for that and didn't want to have a lot of radiators hanging outside of it.

I've considered gutting the Zmachine GT1000, and putting the new build in that with some new fans, but am concerned about the new MB fitting into it, although I have tons of room for any cooler i'd like in it.

Am also going to keep the old machine together as a spare gaming, folding, video machine. So also hesitant to tear it all apart because it still works great, just getting long in the tooth and doesn't do video encoding all that fast. Should I use the Zmachine GT1000 for the new build, and put the current pieces in a different case, less expensive?

With all that said, I like simple elegant looking cases, all of this sits in my living room and would rather not have a screaming ugly looking case.

So looking for recommendations, currently am considering the following:
Corsair 800D - really like the looks of it.
Thermaltake level 10 - afraid its going to be just too cheap feeling, mixed reviews
NZXT Phantom - again afraid of its feeling really cheap.

Weight is not a concern, rarely gets moved, just don't want a really loud case. Back in college I didn't care about that and would use house fans with open cases to keep everything cool, but am beyond that now and want something that looks sharp and doesn't scream boy racer.

Can I start with air cooling on the 800D and will it do a good enough job? Can I put the H100 cpu cooler in the 800D with extensively moding it? What would be the best closed loop cooler for that case? Not concerned about cost (to a point) as I seem to get a really long lifespan out of my machines. I really like the original Thermaltake Level 10, but the cost is unreal and can't seem to find any for sale other then used ones, which still are obscene in price.

Looking for some help here, thanks everyone!

Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146095#top

Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Gun-Metal CA-SW810-G1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBRID Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146094#top

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225#top

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
The 800D can easily accommodate a 3x120mm rad, so yeah, your H100 will be fine. Personally, if I was going to put watercooling into my system, I would NOT buy a closed loop system, it's just too expensive. Besides, for CPU cooling, a good air cooler (Thermalright Silver Arrow and Noctua NH-D14 in particular) performs on par, or even better than the H100. Not to mention they're also noticeably cheaper.
The 800D is actually quite a large case and also pretty expensive. You may want to look into it's cheaper counterpart, the 650D.

Lunchman

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

*nods* was just looking at the 650D - really like the looks of it. Searching now on some reviews and what people think of it. I really like that Zmachine because every part of it is quality, granted its not the greatest case for cooling, but nothing on it feels "cheap" and everyone who see's it, goes nuts about it. The damn 92mm fans in the front though screw it all up. Too much noise and no options for putting anything larger in.. Grrr.

Also looking close at the silverstone cases.. are they worth the money?

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Silverstone..
Dunno, I haven't seen too many people with Silverstone cases, but the Raven series may be worth looking into as well, though you may or may not find them attractive.
Edit: And for that case you linked, yeah the I/O jacks appear to be on top of the case.

Lunchman

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Had about $2200 into the last build, X48 and did that 5 or 6 years ago now.. So if I divide that out am out like $400 per year.

Looking at the new build, am going to be into it for $2500 or so, and don't see why I can't get the 5 years out of it. In all honesty, its over kill for my uses, but so was the last one.

Infact, that X48 @4ghz with the 480gtx still plays everything I want to run. Not so great for encoding, but still gets the job done. The new machine is just a toy to play with and the wife says I've got clearance from the tower to spend $500 a year on computer gear. ;)

Plus she's really hip on the idea the x48 system will now become her defacto gaming system (or so am told). /chuckle

I find her gaming on mine all the time when am away and it will be a really nice upgrade vs the machine is currently on, AMD X2 w/9800GTX. She won't let me spend anything for her's, but is more then happy to use mine when she see's fit. =)

btw, whats the deal with these rampage iv extremes? Newegg has me really nervous.

Lunchman

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Well, really nervous as far has problems with the boards, about a 3rd or more people are having issues? Is Asus having quality issues or are people not knowing what they are doing?

I honestly believe people not knowing what they are doing.I am sure a few might had legit issues.It happens sometimes with any manufacture the boards are sold in bulk so it's not uncommon for some to have issues.I personally have never had any issues with any Asus motherboard( knock on wood)