Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
I just upgraded to a 7870 GPU and a 650W PSU.

The card that I got came with a program similar to MSU Afterburner that allows you to overclock the card, and it also monitors the card temperature and power status. Since I got the new components, I have noticed it seems really warm underneath my desk, and my computer has been freezing while gaming. Its not just the game either, I cannot alt+tab and get back to windows, the whole comp freezes and I have to turn the system off.

I opened the overclocking window to check the card temperature, and its under 40 degrees Celsius. I opened my case and the card is ice cold, however it seems like its the PSU that is overheating, this is where all the heat is coming from. The overclocking program dosent monitor the temp of the PSU, but the icon turns red. Is the PSU overheating and this is causing the crash? Do I need to open the case and put a house fan up next to it?

I asked the community here for advice on a GPU and PSU before I upgraded, and was told a 550w PSU would be enough for what I play (pretty much just WOW). I had some extra cash and got a 650w just to be safe. Why would it be overheating?

The only thing I can think of is my previous PSU had the fan on the rear blowing out the back of the tower and then new one has the fan on the bottom..... could this be the problem?

I never had a problem running games before I upgraded from a 5500 series GPU and a 350w PSU.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

which type of psu (Brand) you have?? and can you please tell your full spec of your system..

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
ok your PSU is preety decent one...crashes doesn't attribute to your psu..actually those psu with bottom mounted fan draw outer cooler air inside they don't blow hot air inside(i was thinking the same when i had temperature issue with my CPU ,had upgraded my stock cpu cooler now it runs fine)

first put your GPU on stock speed..and see how it ends..you also have to monitor your cpu temperature when your are playing..crashes can occur due to overheated cpu..are you overclocking your cpu????

is your system crashes if you don't stress it??(i mean apart from gaming)

i am not biased for your gpu but friend i had HIS 7850 ICQ X 2 gb...it was giving me problem since day 1..RMA ed twice and after 1 month got refund....and i bought sapphire one working like a charm...so what i want to tell you that HIS products are giving a lot of trouble......so work fast..identify the culprit of your problem..and if all thing well except your gpu i would recommend RMA your card...

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
I have always kept the GPU on stock speed, I simply used the overclocking screen to look at the power status and the card temperature.

I have done nothing to overclock the cpu.

The system never crashes unless I am gaming.

What steps should I take to diagnose the problem? How can I see the temp of my cpu?

So Im not really familiar with RMA ing. I got the card through newegg, would I send it back to them or the actual HIS company? I have also been told by people that I should have an Nvidia instead of a Radeon for my system.... is this true?

Poor ventilation is a probable cause, as Swifty_Morgan says, the temporary solution is to remove the side panel and see what happens.
BTW, if the GPU is cool enough, have you checked the CPU temperature?
Also, try using GPU-Z as a monitor for the card and run a stress test with that, it may be the software that came with the card is reporting high voltage regulator temperatures rather than poor power supply.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
The tower is not sitting on the carpet, its on built in shelf that is fully open on each side, decent airflow.

So just a guess as to what would be causing the crashes???? CPU? PSU? Is it even due to something overheating?

I just opened up a game in windowed mode and then brought up the overclocking screen for my card. When the game is minimized the power monitor is green, and when I have the game up it turns red....

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

ok you can check you temperature via this software..CPUID hardware monitor...can download free ...google it...another thing are you having this problem since day 1 or occurring recently???i mean after updating your amd driver problem is occurring ???
if so then it might be the driver issue....and yup you have to maintain adequate airflow in your case..try adding side case fan decent one(you can get cooler master fan around 8 to 10$)then reverse it so it can draw outer cooler air inside your case..and all hot air will be removed via exhaust.
you have to send the card directly to the HIS if you have reached that 30 day limit ..search by your self about nearest HIS service center and tell them your problem...

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

that case doesn't have bottom mounted PSU design in case you missed that point