Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MSI 680, 2GB or 4GB?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • MSI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 27, 2012 12:42:22 PM

I'm juggling between these two MSI cards:

2GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm currently playing on a 1920x1200 monitor, and I know 2GB is all I need for that resolution, but I also like to downsample from 2880x1800 when I'm able to along with adding SGSSAA for pristine image quality, so I'm thinking that 4GB would be very helpful with that.

Is it worth going to 4GB or is it recommended to stick with the ~$80 cheaper 2GB? I'm not going to be doing any triple-screen gaming, and while I may get a 2560x1440 at some point, it won't be any time soon. I'd ideally like to keep the card for a few years so I'm heavily leaning towards 4GB so it's more future-proof, but I figured I'd get some extra opinions.

Thanks.

More about : msi 680 2gb 4gb

October 27, 2012 12:50:05 PM

personally,
I'd go with a HD7970 if you think you want more than 2GB of memory, cost less than a standard GTX680 and performs on par with the latest drivers
otherwise, I'd go with the 2GB model
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 1:19:06 PM

Well unlike others that will no doubt be trolling your thread trying to sway you to go with a 7970 i am going to stay on topic and try and be helpful go for the 2gb model i am not sure there is a valid reason at this time that can justify a price increase like that just to have the 4gb i think somebody was smoking something they should not have been when those were priced anyway just my 2 cents good luck!
m
0
l
Related resources
October 27, 2012 1:54:58 PM

I think I will go with the 2GB version. Seems like a better deal for my purposes.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 2:36:25 PM

I will second Bigcyco1's opinion and say that in this case you will see much more value with the 2GB card...

but that being said, in MY computer I run an overclocked 7970 :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 2:43:38 PM

+1 7970
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 3:17:48 PM

Just get a msi 680 lightning,there's no comparison.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 3:33:49 PM

IMHO, The 7970 should be your primary choice, thanks to the driver update that boosts its performance compared to Kepler GPUs. Not to mention, the higher overclockability!

Kepler GPUs are pretty bad Overclockers compared to ATI's Tahiti 7000-series! The only reason you should go for the Kepler series is because of its Power saving features. And, Ironically.. these very features reduce the OC'ability of the Kepler-series.

I myself have a 660ti, But the only reason i picked it over a 7950 is because i was getting a free copy of Borderlands 2 at the time. But now and then, i feel like i should have picked the 7950 (or the 7870 even!)

I'd suggest going with the 7970 because at its current price..
its got One Major Blessing:

Horribly Amazing Value!!
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 3:52:37 PM

I a big fan of future proofing which would steer me towards the 4gb version - however- I've read a tek review (dont remember where, maybe here) that said that the 4gb variant is actually slower then the 2gb version when gaming ... so i went went with the 2gb version for speeds sake
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 4:18:41 PM

Well if you're a fan of future proofing why don't you just go with a HD 7970 OC/GHZ Edition instead?They are faster (with the latest drivers ofc), overclock better, have a higher memory capacity, take a smaller FPS hit when using AA and cost less.
It's a win win really.
Here's a link to one of the best HD 7970's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But if you must buy a Nvidia card because of CUDA or just personal preference i'd highly suggest going with a 2GB GTX 680.The 4GB variants use higher latency memory which actually makes them slower than the 2GB versions, when playing games that require no more than 2GB of memory.
And here's one of the best GTX 680's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's a really beastly card and im sure you'll be happy with it but it's not really worth the extra 130 dolars compared to the HD 7970.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 4:40:44 PM

A card with that much memory is really for if your running multiple monitors, if thats what your planning on doing then I would also have to recommend the 7970 on account of Eyefinity. If your not going that way than 2 GBs is fine.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 8:48:52 PM

Kamen_BG said:
Well if you're a fan of future proofing why don't you just go with a HD 7970 OC/GHZ Edition instead?They are faster (with the latest drivers ofc), overclock better, have a higher memory capacity, take a smaller FPS hit when using AA and cost less.
It's a win win really.
Here's a link to one of the best HD 7970's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

But if you must buy a Nvidia card because of CUDA or just personal preference i'd highly suggest going with a 2GB GTX 680.The 4GB variants use higher latency memory which actually makes them slower than the 2GB versions, when playing games that require no more than 2GB of memory.
And here's one of the best GTX 680's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's a really beastly card and im sure you'll be happy with it but it's not really worth the extra 130 dolars compared to the HD 7970.



7970 faster ? check this bf3 info
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
October 27, 2012 9:05:13 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well unlike others that will no doubt be trolling your thread trying to sway you to go with a 7970 i am going to stay on topic and try and be helpful go for the 2gb model i am not sure there is a valid reason at this time that can justify a price increase like that just to have the 4gb i think somebody was smoking something they should not have been when those were priced anyway just my 2 cents good luck!



Lol you are so dead on man. Look at all the posts after you honestly if he wants a 680 get a 680 the 7970 is good but some people just want what they want he didn't ask what card to get he asked what amount of memory he should get jaysus
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:16:46 AM

shadoolaw said:
I'm juggling between these two MSI cards:

2GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm currently playing on a 1920x1200 monitor, and I know 2GB is all I need for that resolution, but I also like to downsample from 2880x1800 when I'm able to along with adding SGSSAA for pristine image quality, so I'm thinking that 4GB would be very helpful with that.

Is it worth going to 4GB or is it recommended to stick with the ~$80 cheaper 2GB? I'm not going to be doing any triple-screen gaming, and while I may get a 2560x1440 at some point, it won't be any time soon. I'd ideally like to keep the card for a few years so I'm heavily leaning towards 4GB so it's more future-proof, but I figured I'd get some extra opinions.

Thanks.


Read what he said hes not asking for your 2 cents on which is better amd or nvidia he's asking 2 versus 4 gigabytes and I think a bit earlier he decided that 2 gigabytes was better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:46:58 AM

gee thanks captain obvious. it is still relevant though. when you can get a better card for less money it is worth mentioning
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:59:35 AM

I just think that it is essential to stay on topic with what he is asking unless he asks otherwise. If he were to ask about cards between nvidia and amd you could go into a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of each of the brands. Also every thread goes 7850 or the 7970 without really reading what people are wanting or asking.
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 4:02:15 AM

Go for the 2gb!! that price for 4gb is ridicules!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 6:32:28 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I just think that it is essential to stay on topic with what he is asking unless he asks otherwise. If he were to ask about cards between nvidia and amd you could go into a discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of each of the brands. Also every thread goes 7850 or the 7970 without really reading what people are wanting or asking.


thats your 3rd post about it. who is off topic now? ;) 

infact, you haven't added any relavent information at all. in 3 posts all uve done is rant about the same thing. which are all *completely* off topic. at least suggesting a 7970 over a 680 pertains to the ops post. stay on topic

if users can suggest better hardware, for a cheaper price, they should do so. it may help the op
m
0
l
a c 135 U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 7:36:06 AM

Its just about every thread on this site that annoys the piss out of me and I think that's why the gentlemen higher up suggested before others put there 2 cents in about what card they make love to here is what I'd suggest. And I should stop feeding the trolls.

There are plenty of articles that talk about memory on video cards. And there was a article that I read recently that was talking about ram and how there is little to no difference at the high end. The guy again probably found something similar and saw that 4 gigabytes of ram on his card would of been a un needed extra cost and hopefully he enjoys whatever version of the "gtx 680" he decides on.

Found the Quote and reasoning.
Quote:
but the contemporary High-End graphics cards are anyway too slow in these games even with 4 GB of video memory. In the rest of our games we could hardly see any difference between GeForce GTX 670s with 2 and 4 GB of memory in 3240x1920 and no difference at all in 2560x1440. So, purchasing a 4GB card wouldn't be worth the investment unless you've got a triple-monitor configuration.

Xbitlabs
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/evga-...
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 2:56:43 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Lol you are so dead on man. Look at all the posts after you honestly if he wants a 680 get a 680 the 7970 is good but some people just want what they want he didn't ask what card to get he asked what amount of memory he should get jaysus
:lol:  i am not shocked at all.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:07:51 PM

its true, cards dont really have enough power to push anything that would use 4gb. however, dual or triple sli/crossfire might in the future. "future proofing" never really works out how people think though
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:10:19 PM

I don't believe in future proof who the hell can see in the future anyway i sure can't lol.
m
0
l
!