Computer Shuts Down While Installing XP on second HDD on laptop

I have a Dell Studio 1735 laptop 17 inch that came with Vista Home Premium. I updated Vista to Win 7 Ultimate with no problem. The PC came with 320gb sata 2.5 HDD and 4gb of ram. I put another 320gb sata 2.5 HDD so I could install win xp pro OS on the second HDD. The computer is reading both drives in Computer and Bios. While trying to install win xp pro I get an error message, Quote: The computer is shutting down to prevent it from being damage. The new HDD has being formatted and install correctly. Where the first HDD is in C:, the second HDD is in F:. Question: Is it possible to have two operating systems on two different HDD on one laptop. I don't want to partition the first HDD and put 2 OS on one HDD and when I boot, will I have a choice on which Operating System I want to work with? HELP!
1 answer Last reply
More about computer shuts installing laptop
  1. 1. many people downgraded Vista to XP when vista first came out. See if Dell had instructions on installing XP. This sounds like a driver issue.
    2. Win7 has good compatibility. Why the XP install ?
    3. Since you have win7 Ultimate, consider running win7 XP mode. I think this is a full copy of XP launched by win7 but I've never run it. here is a link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Laptops Windows XP Computer Windows Vista Hard Drives Systems