Mister_Salty

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I have bought a new case, motherboard, memory and cpu. I plan to take the hardrive with OS (vista 32 bit) from my old machine and use it in my new build. My plan was to use vista-32 with my new build then purchase the Windows8-64 upgrade that MS is offering, the offer ends at the end of January, so was planning to do the upgrade sometime in the between now and then.

My old box I purchased from Dell, so I don't have OS on DVD or anything to reinstall (I don't think, maybe I need to dig through all this junk in my desk).

Can anybody tell me if this will work? I don't know if I can just use my old HD with vista-32 in my new build, that is my main question. I think if that step of my plan works, then it should be no problem to do the Win8 upgrade.

Here is a list of my new components:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szrJ

Thanks in advance for any help.

te100

Distinguished
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation