Overburning problem

G

I am trying to overburn to about 82 minutes onto an 80 min CD-R, using a Plextor PW121032A and Nero 5.5.2.4. Nero says the burner supports overburning, and it seems to work, but both times I tried it failed right as it was finishing the lead-out track, NOT during the actual burn... Anyone know what causes this? I tried at 4x and 1x speed... Could it be my media?

P3 800, 256 MB, ASUS CUBX, Plextor 12x burner, WinXP Pro.

Cheers,
G

-- All flea markets start from scratch. --

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, that plex will overburn. You will have to drop down to at least 8x to successfully overburn to the limit of the disk. I have a 16x, and I can overburn a little over a minute at 12x, and real close to 4min at 8x.

It all depends on the quality of the disks you're using.

I use Memorex 80min 16x from good ole' Wally World, with gold bottoms (cyanine and gold). Memorex used to give me almost 4 extra minutes, but they've changed the look of the labels, which means they've either switched plants or have changed the manufacturing process. The two times I've tried to o/b the new batch, I couldn't get the 736meg that I could with the old batches. And that 736 wasn't exact; I might have gotten 738 or 739, but I tried 743 one time and it failed. That load of Memorex ruled...

I've not wasted anymore checking to see the maximum burn time yet. I have heard Feurio will do a simulation burn and give you an exact time that the laser won't reflect, but I haven't gotten around to buying a copy of it yet.

G

You can get a shareware version of feurio from <A HREF="http://www.feurio.de" target="_new">http://www.feurio.de</A>, it's pester-ware, but there's no time limit, and it will test a CD's capacity for you. It seems that my burner hangs on finishing the lead-out track... My DVD-ROM drive seems to read the discs badly. Yours burns fine all the way through though?

Cheers,
Marc

-- All flea markets start from scratch. --

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep, I have several cdrom's sucessfully burned with 736 meg on them, mode 1. No errors; by definition, it you pop an error on an overburn, it is an unsuccessful overburn. And to top it off, Nero will do a 'verification' (byte comparison) for you on the data.

I think it would do just a little more, because I still had time for a leadout (3sec is plenty for the leadout; that's the normal 1st gap on an audio cd).

Some drives just can get the tracking mechanism to go out that far.

I just got 82:06 on this new batch, which means I can get right at 82min without popping a write error. That's not terrible, but far from the last batch. Some damn bean counter probably found out their tolerances where too high, and probably ended up saving the company $30 million a year by cutting down on the groove time.

G

That sounds like the exact same problem I'm having--- it fails during lead out. However, if I try to burn a longer CD (like 85-90 minutes), it fails before it gets to the leadout. I'm using a Yamaha 2200E drive, which according to several articles I read is supposed to be able to overburn up to 90+ minutes. I've tried both 99-minute CompUSA discs and 90-minute discs from www.inc-tech.com. Both fail at 81.5 minutes. I have everything in Nero set properly. I can't believe both batches of these long discs won't go past 81.5 minutes, so is it my CDRW drive that's the problem? I can burn successfully as long as my compilation doesn't exceed 81.5 minutes. (See my post in the "Writing" forum http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=30348#30348 If anyone can figure this out, I'd be very appreciative!