PC Lost Power and Won't Reboot

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Here's my system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQLk and just a few minutes ago I launched Arma 2 and as soon as I got in game my PC shut off. I flipped the power switch off and unplugged and replugged the power cable and every time I do this, the PC gets power for just a second (I can see the exhaust fan start to turn) then it shuts off. I have to unplug the power cable every time I do this.

I've been on this rig for about two months and I have no idea what happened, help?

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Your power supply died!
Can you hear it crackling.. And odor of hot electronics?

Also.. if hot.. Once cooled and it runs fine for a bit and does it again.. Then it would be your CPU fan stopped.. Fan dirty.. etc.
Systems will shut off if really hot to stop from frying your CPU.

:)

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Actually, check your CPU fan first.. Don't let it get hot again. HOT = BAD hehehe

If fan is fine then you have a dead power supply. Anywhere from 30 to 100+ bucks depending...

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Yeah I hear it pop when I turn it on but it's nt hot at all. I clean out all the dust monthly (cleaned it three days ago). I also have two intake and two exhaust fans as well as an aftermarket CPU cooler so I doubt anything overheated.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Fml

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Clearly then, it is your Power Supply...

I recommend 500Watt or more...
Best Buy CompUSA where ever.

Rule of thumb.. Remember where the wires go... Never get the cheapest one and,
Take you old one with and be sure it has all the doohickey wires needed.

:D

PS: What is "fml" and Many places will test it for ya.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thanks, it's an 850W by the way.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

What is "fml"? F*** My Life?

So ya know.. I've built 1000's of systems. Was head bench tech for 7yrs, worked at Lexis Nexis Data Center. Have an associates in CIS and Bachelor in CS. Was blowing up 8088's back in the mid 80's.

I'd bet 99.9% you have a bad P/S.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Was peeking at your system and something you may consider is partitioning your 1TB to about 300GB for C-Drive and remainder for D-drive. Keep anything you use for installing, important files etc on D-drive and if ever you need to Fdisk/Format C-Drv you will have D-drive handy for reinstalling and recovering your important docs/pics/music/movies etc.

I redo my C drive at least once every couple months and having all the stuff handy on D-drv (Better yet a large External Drive), it only takes about 2 hours or so to have clean system.

I prefer just reinstalling than using backups.. Takes about the same amount of time and backups many times put problems right back on your system.

Leda

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Okay guys, I figured out the problem and it WASN'T the PSU.

So I went ahead and shipped my PSU off to XFX the other day (costed me $17) and went home. I went to Best Buy today and bought a cheap replacement power supply to see if it was actually the problem. I went home and installed it and was having the same results as on my old PSU. I should have tried this before I actually spent money on shipping my old PSU.

So after trying out a bunch of different things I figured out that is my graphics card that was causing the power problems. So now that I have successfully turned on my PC I'm wondering if my graphics card went out or if I turned the power up too high on it (I overclocked the card and put +%20 power on in the catalyst control center)

Is there any way to reset the graphics card settings to factory default while it is unplugged from the PC?