Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel MOBO and CPU, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Yes, but not much

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1600

Additional Comments: I want to run all games on highest settings for about 2-3 years on my 2560x1600 monitor

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Lag on some games with max resolution
9 answers Last reply
More about gaming build 2560x1600
  1. Sorry dude. If you want to max out modern games with that massive monitor, it's 3 X Crossfire 7950's.
  2. You could slide with just one GTX 670 if you don't run Anti-Aliasing on most games.

If you want the best performance, then 2 GTX 670's is your only choice.
  3. I read that with that high resolution its best to go with the 4gb version, is that correct? Also, would the upgrade to 680 not be worth it?
  4. Dugalle1987 said:
    I read that with that high resolution its best to go with the 4gb version, is that correct? Also, would the upgrade to 680 not be worth it?

NO! It is common knowledge that the 7970 GHz is far stronger than the 670, and the gap only widens at high resolutions,

Also the 4GB version is a complete waste. After 2GB, the 670/680 bottleneck because of there bus size (256 instead of AMD's 384).
  5. i would get 2 7970 matrix/vapor/msi lighting at that res a i5 3570k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/588?vs=585

that's not even the ghz edition and probably old drivers not sure
  6. Yes. At that high of a resolution, even 3gb's and 4gb's didn't make a difference.

A lot of people can argue that Captain Tom :D

With over $100+ to upgrade to the 680, and only about 5% increase in performance, many say it's not worth it.
  7. Some good suggestions, i'll give mine :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sHPP

If you don't need the cooler just remove it from the list, also the galaxy 670 gtx 4GB is at 359$ so i don't see no reason why not get it.
    I prefer SLI setups, and the 670 gtx performs about the same as the 680 gtx, but costs much less.
    Also for gaming an i5-3570k will be the best cpu.
  8. daeder said:
    Yes. At that high of a resolution, even 3gb's and 4gb's didn't make a difference.

A lot of people can argue that Captain Tom :D

With over $100+ to upgrade to the 680, and only about 5% increase in performance, many say it's not worth it.

No 3GB didn't make a difference with the GTX cards. 3GB does make a difference on AMD. I have already used 2.2 GB before, and most games use 1.2-1.6 GB now! In one year 2GB will start to run out.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems