Sign in with
Your question

Will a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7770 work with my mobo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2012 10:11:01 PM

I've got a MSI K9N6PGM2-V mobo and a 500W Codegen power supply... Now i'm about to buy a SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 GHz EDITION OC 1GB GDDR5. It will suit me good cuz i have a 1366x768 monitor and i researched for some benchmarks and it had good results on 1080p and i was impressed :) . Can i plug this GPU into my Mobo without frying it? I know it uses a direct power supply, but still i am very scared of doing something wrong because once i bought a high end GPU(back in the days) and i plugged it into the mobo and it worked fine for a year or so but then it died and the guy that was repairing my pc said that the mobo pci was something like 1.5(not sure) and that card needs 3.0 or something like that... So i lost a lot of money...

Can somebody just tell me if it will work as it should or are there some things that don't match?

Here are the links so you can compare:
-MSI K9N6PGM2-V
-SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 GHz EDITION OC 1GB GDDR5 (Hit the "System Requirements" tab)

Thanks in advance!
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 10:28:07 PM

MadDog121 said:
I've got a MSI K9N6PGM2-V mobo and a 500W Codegen power supply... Now i'm about to buy a SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 GHz EDITION OC 1GB GDDR5. It will suit me good cuz i have a 1366x768 monitor and i researched for some benchmarks and it had good results on 1080p and i was impressed :) . Can i plug this GPU into my Mobo without frying it? I know it uses a direct power supply, but still i am very scared of doing something wrong because once i bought a high end GPU(back in the days) and i plugged it into the mobo and it worked fine for a year or so but then it died and the guy that was repairing my pc said that the mobo pci was something like 1.5(not sure) and that card needs 3.0 or something like that... So i lost a lot of money...

Can somebody just tell me if it will work as it should or are there some things that don't match?

Here are the links so you can compare:
-MSI K9N6PGM2-V
-SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 GHz EDITION OC 1GB GDDR5 (Hit the "System Requirements" tab)

Thanks in advance!

Looks like it has a 1.0 PCI Express X16 slot which is equal to a 2.0 x8. So that's fine, slight performance loss but nothing drastic about 2-3 frames.

I would say get a 7750 for now, it would offer nice performance at your monitor's resolution without needing a new power supply and start to save money for an upgrade.

The main problem would lie in the processor that the motherboard has, old x2 athlon, max 2 gb ram as well...

October 27, 2012 11:09:37 PM

maxalge said:
Looks like it has a 1.0 PCI Express X16 slot which is equal to a 2.0 x8. So that's fine, slight performance loss but nothing drastic about 2-3 frames.

I would say get a 7750 for now, it would offer nice performance at your monitor's resolution without needing a new power supply and start to save money for an upgrade.

The main problem would lie in the processor that the motherboard has, old x2 athlon, max 2 gb ram as well...

But i'm using an x3 phenom ii 710 and 4 gb of ram... It isn't that bad :) 
And as for the performance, i want to play bf3 with good graphics and avg of 50-60 fps.. and i looked up for the 7750 and i saw that it didn't perform very well... and i don't need a psu upgrade because the gpu comes with an adapter from the old 4 pin plug to the new 4 pin(or 6) im not entirely sure, but i am sure that it comes with an adapter and the wattage is enough for running it.

so if it has a direct power source from the psu like the 6 pins, it doesn't use any power from the pci e slot? and the different PCI E slot versions don't matter about the gpu's health, right? i just don't wanna fry it ;) 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2012 2:31:49 AM

MadDog121 said:
I found that my MoBo(K9N6PGM2-V) has a PCI Express 2.0 x16.. Does that match with the GPU i want?

Source:
http://compareindia.in.com/specification/motherboards/m...

Ok, that's good then. 2.0 x 16 is great, 3.0 is fully backwards compatible so that's fine.

4 gb ram and a x3 phenom 2 710, cool.

From the previous website on your motherboard I was looking at I presumed you had 2 gb of ram and a athlon x2. :pt1cable: 

OK, so your target is 50 - 60 in BF3 at 1366 x 768.

Single player you should hit 56 fps average comfortably with no AA at that resolution.

You will need to overclock your processor for online play though, as it is a lot harder on the cpu.

October 28, 2012 8:46:21 AM

maxalge said:
Ok, that's good then. 2.0 x 16 is great, 3.0 is fully backwards compatible so that's fine.

4 gb ram and a x3 phenom 2 710, cool.

From the previous website on your motherboard I was looking at I presumed you had 2 gb of ram and a athlon x2. :pt1cable: 

OK, so your target is 50 - 60 in BF3 at 1366 x 768.

Single player you should hit 56 fps average comfortably with no AA at that resolution.

You will need to overclock your processor for online play though, as it is a lot harder on the cpu.

Thanks for the info, i am planning to OC my CPU and adding a water coolant!

thanks again! :D 
!