Windows 7 startup error missing HDD

wooshna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Yesterday my system had a BSOD when i wasn't home and my wife just restarted the my PC. When i got home about 4 hours later i had another BSOD but did not have time to see what it was. Now my system wont boot into windows. Trying to use startup repair does nothing since it tells me that the error is that the registry is corrupt but it can't fix it. something like rollback registry failed corrupt registry. So i googled the issue and tried everything that i could find from the windows 7 forums. used command prompt to search for my drive but i can't find it (windows is in C: drive but it doesn't show up only my external HDD and cd drive shows up. Tried using windows 7 installation cd to repair but it can't save the changes because there is no hard drive with windows operating system installed. Checked my bios yesterday and my internal hdd was still showing up in bios but it was like the 3rd in line to be used for booting. tried restoring from a system image and it wont let me because windows can't find a windows operating system to restore. i unplugged all my cables except for my HDD and tried booting it only to go back into repair startup screen but i can't do anything there also. Tried doing sfc/scannow but it says a repair is in process and that i need to repair and reset to use that command, same goes for all other commands like bootmgr and so on. My brother in-law says that it may be because i have bad drivers so i updated them with a usb using windows installation load drivers but nothing happens then he said that back in the past there were issues with 6gb sata cables and certain HDD so i pulled out an old 3gbs sata cable and still can't boot. changed ports nothing happens can't even boot to safe mode to scan the drive. umm... can't do a fresh install because windows doesn't see the drive so now i'm posting here spent the better half of last night and this morning trouble shooting everything i can think of to fix this issue. Now when i turn on my pc my internal HDD is not being shown in the bios could it be that my HDD was dying and now is dead? any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system:

MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ (bios version 0901)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131736

CPU: AMD FX-8120 3.1ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103961

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (currently running at 1333mhz)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233143

PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 760W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817703030

GPU: XFX Radeon 5850 BE

Internal HDD: seagate(ST3750630AS) Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s NCQ 750GB 16MB Cache Hard Drive

Solution
I will try using hirens boot cd but the thing is that how do i check my HDD when windows won't even see it plus now my bios doesn't see it. i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and post the results.

Hirens boot CD does not need Windows to load, once you have downloaded the ISO you burn the image to a CD, you then select in the BIOS to boot from the CD. and set the SATA controller to IDE mode. You then restart the computer and boot from the CD drive. Then select the hard disk utilities and chose the manufacturer of your hard drive and run the tests. If the utility cannot see the hard drive then either the hard drive is faulty or the interface is faulty. You can then either try another hard drive to confirm or try the hard drive...

wooshna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I will try using hirens boot cd but the thing is that how do i check my HDD when windows won't even see it plus now my bios doesn't see it. i'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and post the results.

Hirens boot CD does not need Windows to load, once you have downloaded the ISO you burn the image to a CD, you then select in the BIOS to boot from the CD. and set the SATA controller to IDE mode. You then restart the computer and boot from the CD drive. Then select the hard disk utilities and chose the manufacturer of your hard drive and run the tests. If the utility cannot see the hard drive then either the hard drive is faulty or the interface is faulty. You can then either try another hard drive to confirm or try the hard drive on another computer.

Solution