Checking compatibility for first-time build

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hey everyone! I'm getting the components to build a new PC for Christmas and I've got a list of parts ready. They're in my Newegg cart right now, but I'm getting really paranoid that it won't all work well together. I've posted on Reddit but stuff there just gets buried, so I decided to post here as well if that's okay... Here's my PC Parts Picker build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $753.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-16 00:27 EST-0500)

1. Will it work together basically?
2. Will it all fit in the case? If it does or doesn't, do you recommend a better case? I liked that one for the USB 3.0.
3. Will I be able to use Dual Monitors if I ever want to down the road?
4. Is that Power Supply ok? That was the one part that I really couldn't figure out what I was doing with/what good brands were/etc.
5. Am I set to OC in the future if I decide to do so (and buy an extra cooler)? Just curious, I'm not too worried about this.

Thanks for taking the time to look over this!

EDIT: I just changed the Power Supply to one with better reviews for same price and from what I understand is a more reliable manufacturer.

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Should be all good, it will fit in the case. I would suggest a different hard drive, wd black if you can spare the extra cash. Plenty of headroom for dual monitors. Yes that PSU is fine. Yes, you will be able to OC.

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Wow, thanks a ton for the fast and detailed reply man! So I edited the op with a different Power Supply before I read your post. Is the Antec one I added good as well or should I go back to the old one? The Antec one had better reviews, etc.

What's the difference with the WD black as opposed to the blue I selected already?
Also, if you're up for it, what's your stance on SSD? I hear they're ridiculously fast, but I just dunno if I can work with that much smaller storage space. My laptop I'm replacing has a 280gb hard drive and I've used like 200 of it, so to fill that I'd need a pretty expensive SSD...

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I wouldn't go with an Antec Basiq supply, they're not reliable from what I've seen. I'd stick with the corsair at that point.

The difference with a WD black I believe (Don't quote me on this) is a higher cache, overall increased speeds, increased reliability from what I've seen and I believe it's 3 year warranty instead of one year. If you're going to get an SSD you can pick up a 64gb for your OS installation and a few major programs such as word etc. Think of it as a primary drive and think of the terabyte as a data drive.

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Good to know on the Antec, thanks.

So would it work if I JUST got the SSD as the primary and then relied on another 2TB external drive I have as the "data" drive?

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
It would be unbearably slow especially over a USB 2.0, by data drive I mean programs that aren't used as often, or games that aren't used as often. A 64 gb SSD can be found for less than 50 dollars these days, which is a good deal.

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Ok I gotcha. So would the case fit an SSD and an HDD comfortably as well then? Is there anything special I need to do when building and setting it up if I'm gonna have two drives like that, like making one the "primary" one or whatever?

Again, thanks for all the help and quick replies, I really appreciate it. Sorry for asking so many questions as well!

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
No problem. In your case I do not know if there are any dedicated mounting points for an SSD, so you may have to purchase 2.5 to 3.5inch adapter bracket, or I would suggest purchasing this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027 as it has two places to mount an SSD, one under the motherboard and one adapter bracket.

To set up a primary drive, just connect the SSD to Sata 0 and the hard drive to sata 1. When you install windows, choose the SSD to install to.

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
What about this case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

I'm not sure what spec to look for when it comes to seeing if everything will fit (specifically if this HDD + SSD combo thing will fit)?

thebeardedchild

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Neat! So I'm assuming every other component will still fit okay in that new case?

Edit: I just noticed something on the gpu it says it only has 1 x DVI output, so does that mean I can't do independent dual monitors? Apparently the 7870's don't have a VGA either?