Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • TV
  • Connection
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2012 11:11:06 PM

Can I can connect HDMI cable from PC video card to HDMI jack on my TV and watch video from online?

Or should I use the router (somehow)?

I want to watch YouTube videos on my TV. My Roku model does not stream YouTube.

Will if affect my computer monitor as it is using the same video card - with the DVI connection?

Thanks for any info!

More about : hdmi connections

a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 12:34:27 AM

You can plug an HDMI cable directly from your GPU to your TV for sure! A TV and monitor are more or less the same things.

Will it affect your PC? Well that depends on how you set it up:
A) You can run it as 2 separate screens, each showing their own images and windows (in essence both screens show half of the output from your PC). The other thing you can do is have the TV display the same image as your monitor.
B) If your monitor and TV have the same resolution and you'll only ever use one at a time you can have both display the same image at the same time. This way you don't need to worry about loosing a window to the screen you aren't using (and not being able to see where to click it).

The only real issue to look at is if your GPU outputs sound via HDMI or not. If it doesn't you'd need to get an audio cable to run to the TV as well (that is if you want the sound coming from the TV).
m
l
October 28, 2012 9:01:04 PM

trapper said:
You can plug an HDMI cable directly from your GPU to your TV for sure! A TV and monitor are more or less the same things.

Will it affect your PC? Well that depends on how you set it up:
A) You can run it as 2 separate screens, each showing their own images and windows (in essence both screens show half of the output from your PC). The other thing you can do is have the TV display the same image as your monitor.
B) If your monitor and TV have the same resolution and you'll only ever use one at a time you can have both display the same image at the same time. This way you don't need to worry about loosing a window to the screen you aren't using (and not being able to see where to click it).

The only real issue to look at is if your GPU outputs sound via HDMI or not. If it doesn't you'd need to get an audio cable to run to the TV as well (that is if you want the sound coming from the TV).

Thanks for the excellent info trapper!
m
l
Related resources
!