Getting a new HD, parttions etc..

G

Hi
Im getting a new Maxtor 60gb D740X hard disk this week.. I'll use it for capture and video editing purposes,Im a bit confused about partitioning it though..
1)should I create an additional partition for windows swap file ? if so how big should that be ?
2) would it effect performance if i used same partition for OS and archives,videos,mp3s etc.. ?
3)Lets say I kept 40gb for video capture&editing, what would you suggest for the rest ?

Thanks alot

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
what i did with my 40 gig D740x is i made two partitions.
one (3 gig)for windows, and programs like photoshop and flash5 that i have on cd, and dont need to worry about reinstalling.
then i made the 37 other gigs for other stuff like word documents, video files, flash work, photoshop work, and games that i dont want to lose the saves for.
that way, if i mess up the windows install, or something on C: becomes corrupt, it will be much easier to recover from the problem....all i have to do is format c:, and reinstall the programs that got lost.
it have been saved by doing this twice already, when windows got fuxored when i was tweaking....and tweaked a bit too much.
soooo...
pretty much it is up to you.
you can just have one partition, but you might notice a bit more safety, and MAYBE a little better performance with a seperate partition. i dont know for sure, and i cant tell you that it is better to do it. but i know that it is much easier to deal with when something goes wrong.
and i can tell you this...
the Maxtor D740x line of hard drives are very fast, reliable, and quiet.
they are a great choice!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
the first question is:

have you to install xtiple OS or not

if it's just a single OS like win98se or win xp

create just one partion for the entire disk especially if you have to write on dd big capture video files
more there is logical drives, more is the galley
1) no more space on drive C, [-peep-] there is still space on D
(or reverse)

2) i have c,d for disk & e for cdr & f for dvd & g for cdrw
[-peep-], i want to put another drive, it's another logical drive & i want to cut in 2 part for win & linux,
[-peep-], this add 2 other logical drives....

be sure to format it in fat32

you can, if you want reserve some Go on a little part to try another OS or keep an older version (linux,win98...)

think it before, because after, it will be too late

i'm also agree with a little part for os
it's a good system to reinstall the min
but
1) to reinstall scratch system, why don't use a backup ?

2) some pg don't like to be installed on another drive that C:

3) after a long, windows dir grow & still grow up
some dll, vxd, ... don't be erased
as we install & try demo version of games & other...
& a 500Mo windows dir becomes 1.5, 2, 3 Go...

4) you have also to reinstall prog from the other part
(games, app, ...)

5) you can create a cdr for doc & saves

6) if you have no space in C: in 6 months, it'll be too late

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 12/17/01 03:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
just ms visual studio (without msdn) & office on my pc
with windows dir take me 2.5Go

& this is just 2 app

ok, buy nothing.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
geeze..the only reason i said to make two partitions is so that if the install of the OS gets fuxxored...he CAN install the programs to the other partition.
on my C: partition, that is 3 gigs, i have windows, photoshop, aol instant messenger, flash5, divx, MS office 2000, sisoft sandra, pccillin 2000, winamp, DFX, wintv, winzip, drivers, and a few other small insignifigant files...
i am only up to 1.23 gigs...
i dunno about you, but i think that it is MUCH easier to reformat, and install the 3 gig partition than a 40 gig partition.
you dont need to have more than one os to want more than one partition....
and i think that if i was capturing video, i would want it to capture reliably, and if there is something wrong with the os, i would rather not loose the hours of work i just spent capturing, and working with the video...
i dunno about you tho...you might want to have to re-capture the video, and re-work it..but be warned, i have been in this position...and it is not fun to lose hours of work, only to have to backtrack, and re-do it.

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
sorry, but you have nothing in your first part

just 2 app from mine keep me 2.5Go
so i install the others on D ?
& my os crash
oh, no pb, i have to reinstall os+app (C)+app (D)

& 6 months later, damned, my windows dir keep about 2.5Go,
& with my swapfile of 500Mo, i have just 200Ko on C
no pb, i install the other app on D
oh, damned the app want to copy some files on win dir & say "C is without space, can't install app"

& even if you have a system crash, do you lost all data ?
do you lost your partition, has she already desappeared ?

my opinion is you lost everything if you hard disk is crached & just one soluc, xchg hd & restore backup

ok, buy nothing.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok , i mean like say...you installed something that fuxxored your WINDOWS INSTALL, not the hard drive itself.
and if you are getting low on space on c....then why not install the program on d......
i dont understand what is so hard to understand here...
pretty simple and straight forward.
and if you are installing programs that take up so much space...it would be OBVIOUS to install it to the larger partition...and on my 10 gig hard drive, i was running out of space.
so when i wanted to install something else, i went out and bought myself a 40 gig.
seems to me that you just arent understanding this...
and dude..if you are running out of space on a 3 gig c drive, that you just install a few small programs like what i have...then you are seriously doing something wrong.
you either need to check if you have some files on the smaller partition that DOESNT NEED TO BE THERE, like video files, and other things like mp3's and so on.
seems to work on 2 computers in my house.
and has worked on many a computer before...used for many a purposes.
and yeah, i do have something in the first part...because a 3 gig partition is MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR THE OS, PLUS WHATEVER YOUR PROGRAMS WILL NEED TO INSTALL ON THE WINDOWS PARTITION...
SOO, i dont know what you are installing, that adds a gig to the windows partition, PLUS whatever you install to it's own directory, but i would like to know...check this out..
right click on your windows folder, and click properties..
if it is more than 500 megs, then check the stuff that you have on your desktop...most people have HUGE windows folders because they have a bunch of installers, or mp3's, or video files, or who knows what not, on their desktop...and lo-and behold, the desktop folder is PART OF WINDOWS...
so i dont know where you are coming from...
a 3 gig partition is more than enough.
and if you need more space than that for your os, then you wouldnt be screwing with partitions...you would just have a couple 120 gig hard drives..
but then again...you might have some SPECIAL needs...but i dont know....but for most users, including people who work with video files, a 3 gig partition will be sufficient for their OS, and the rest of the thousands of megs will be fine...sheesh

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i'm developer & i have 2.5Go real space keep by win & just those 2 app

without count the others & the futurs
(i have also adobe photoshop, paintshop pro, ...)

i by this hd 2 months ago (60GXP 40Go) & xchg os 98 to xp

& reinstall on some of my old apps & configs in XP

i haven't any waste space on

forenow 2 app -> 2.5Go & it is not little winamp, winzip or other "toys", sorry

& 8Go for doc,pdf, vid, & jpg

if you say keep 10Go part for OS, i don't notice this

but 3Go, is very little, to my thoughts

i have before a 6.4Go hd & games demo & other app demos & other games demos & .... & ....

3Go it keep in 1 year in w98/Windows

note: especially for demos, they often don't desinstall correctly & leave a lot of [-peep-] on win dir

so i think maybe it is not very clever to create a 3Go part for OS on a 40Go when it remain 37Go for the 2th part
because the real pb, you'll get it 6 or 12 months after
& that will be to late to reverse without "Partition Magic" tool

but .... it's just my opinion :cool:

ok, buy nothing.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What's "Go"? I was just wondering if I was missing something?

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
"2.5Go"= 2.5 good opinion?
hmm...odd...
but yeah, on my 10 gig hard drive, which btw i filled to capacity with games, demos, mp3's, and applications...(i had lik 150 megs free on the 7 gig partition).
i never had a problem with it in a year and a half.
and that was after uninstalling some games, installing new ones, updating programs.
the limiting factor for me was the 7 gig partition...it just filled up....
the 3 gig partition had a gig free after all this time.
maybe that is your problem.
install the programs that take up that much space on the LARGER partition, and the little "toys" on the smaller partition.
that is what i do.
think about it, it is the logical decision..."hey, i need to install this 1 gig program, hmm....my windows partition has just about 2 gigs free, maybe i should put it on the other partition. yeah, that works!"
it makes sense if you ask me.
maybe you being a developer, you have the "special need" i was talking about in my last post, but if you ask me, 1 partition, without a way to back up, is asking for data loss.
think about it.
my computer doesnt have a cd-burner in it.
my dads does, but it is a 4x. not exactly worth backing up on.
my hard drive is the largest in my house, and everyone else has like a gig or two free.
so if i had one partition, and had 3 gigs of mp3s, 1 gig of flash working files, a few .psd files, and some documents to boot, i would never be able to back them up on anyones computer, and transferring that much data to my dads slower computer, and then burning 3 or 4 cd's worth of stuff on some 700mb cds would take HOURS....
i have reinstalled windows several times, with no problems...and the only reason i was "required" to reinstall windows was because of my never-ending endeavor to tweak the hell out of windows.
so i dont know why you still insist that 3 gigs is not much to have on one partition.
i remember the days when i had windows98 SE installed on a 1 gig hard drive, and i never had a problem...except for the fact that i could not install any more programs, because it was a 1 gig hard drive!!!!
but this is 3 gigs, and the majority of my programs are installed on my 37 gig partition.
i still dont get your argument for why a partition would not be a good idea...
and GIGABYTE is abbreviated "Gb", not "Go"....
no offense intended....

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
in french Gb (GigaByte) is Go (GigaOctet)

& i so many time used it that i don't pay attention to

but this is juste a detail...

ok, buy nothing.