What do you think is going-on, here (not the PC, that's for

G

Hi:
I just got through putting together one bad-boy of a system. So what's the problem? The thing is just sitting there, like it was a big-paperweight! I started w/ this Wavesonic full-tower case, w/ 350 watt power supply.
As far as I know I did everything that I was supposed to, and I did those things, correctly. What I think the issue is, is one of two-things. First of all, it seems that the power-supply may already be-dead. How do I know that? Well, I have left the case in the trunk of my car, for about a week. I am in a part of the US, where we have had several freezing-days, recently. There have been several-mornings, where there was even ice on my car-windows. Which I had to scrape-off, of course. Being that power supplies are the PC component that is most prone to failure, I put two and two together. Any of you agree or disagree w/ this deduction? I can't wait to hear your opinions. It would greatly-benefit me, no doubt. By the way, even as I took it the case, this morning, it was pretty dang-cold, to the touch. One other thing that could be the issue, is that I might not have connected the connector for the power-button. Which really throws me for a loop. Why? Because I thought that connecting that cable that has several-connectors on the end of it, to the mobo, would be enough to power the system on. I did not know that there was a separate-connector, running from the mobo to the power-button. Is this, in fact, the case? Could the problem that I am having be due to the connector for the power button (If there is such a thing), not being connected? If so, I would be a happy-camper. I guarantee-it, in the words of George Zimmer. You know who he is, I take it. Any of you who have the ecs K7S5A SiS 735 motherboard , like the one I am working w/, here? If so, could you speak to this question? Did you, actually have to make a connection to the motherboard, for the "power button", as opposed to just the "power led"? Thanks, in advance, for any help you give. It would be most-appreciated.

Mumme

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why would you leave a computer in a trunk outside for days? That's crazy!! PCs were never designed for that!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Hey, just a quick-update, to my current-situation:
I have not located a pesky "power-button" connector. I connected that, and voila! Houston, we do have power. However, that is about all we have. The thing still does not boot. I do have enough fans in this thing, to "hover above ground". What, w/ the standard-fans, in addition to the "Volcano" CPU fan, and the "2CoolPCPlus" gizmo, w/a fan-attached to it. Now, if only I could get this sucker to do something, besides blow a bunch of hot-air! It looks like extensive-diags are in-order. Something tells me that the board is going to be the monkeywrench, for some-reason. Don't ask me why, just a sneaking-suspicion. Before I make that determination, though, what I am going to do, is put the hard drive that is in that thing, into another one of my PC's, and see what the deal is. It has got to be a problem w/ the mobo, though. Why? Because I booted w/ out any drives-attached, and just the videocard, and got the same thing, which was just the fans-running. Will keep all of you posted. Hopefully, we can get this machine to a conscious-state, before the 2nd-Coming!

Mumme

What exactly do you get?

Fans?
Lights?
All the lights?
BIOS

do tell.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

G

Hi, camieabz:
Why, soitenly, I'll let you know what's going-on: All that this beautiful-PC does, is turn on, and all the fans are running. It does not do a blessed-thing, besides this. I am prepared to say that the mobo is the issue, here. Which leads me to think that, w/ any future-PC's that I put-together, what I am going to do, before even mounting the mobo, is to put it on a tabletop, connect just the power supply connector, and seat a video card in it (so I can connect it to a monitor, &, hopefully, see something), and connect just the keyboard and mouse, before powering it on, for the first-time. That way, I will know if it is a bad-mobo to begin w/, and won't have to waste my time w/ mounting a bad-mobo, w/, in and of itself, is not that big a deal. Not as big as I thought it would be, anyway. What is weird, though, is the keyboard light does come on, @ first, like it would do, on a normal-mobo. Like the mobo was "POSTing". How many of you do this? Before mounting a mobo, do you test it out this way? Here is what I plan on doing, correct me if this is the wrong-way to go about it. I have three other PC's, besides the one that is not-working. Including the one that I am typing this on, right-now. What I plan to do, is to take one of my units that is a clone, and connect the power supply connector to the mobo on the PC that is not booting. In other-words, the one w/ the suspected bad-mobo. I will then see if it does-anything. The thing is, that I suspect the the power-supply may also be @ fault, here. Why? Because, as I have already-said, this case, (and the power supply in it), have been in the trunk of my car, for about a week. Under freezing-cold conditions. Although I suspected that the power supply was the monkeywrench, @ first, I then didn't think so, because the unit did, finally, power on. Why? Because I made the connection from the power supply to the mobo, that said "power button". Turns out, that that was hidden, @ first. Now, I am not so-sure. Therefore; If I connect a known-good power supply to this mobo, and we have-activity, as far as booting, then we would have found our problem. Another-thing, for what I want to do, here, is the power supply connector the only thing that I should disconnect from the mobo of the clone-system that is working? Before I connect that connector to the mobo of this one, and seeing if we have any activity? Is there a chance of the other-system being-damaged, if the main power supply connector is the only thing that is disconnected, before connecting it to this one? I think so. Why? Because, there are all the other-connections, to worry-about. Such as the hdd led, the power led, the power-button, etc. I suspect that those should also be disconnected, before I undertake this endeavour. Correct? Otherwise, I could have two PC's that are down. How about the prospect of going out and getting a power-supply, specifically for this purpose? I think that that may be-dangerous. If someone brings their kids to my place, they might touch the power supply that is sitting on top of the table, and I would have a crispy-critter, to go on top of my PC that is not-booting! That is why it may be good to just get a case w/ a power supply in it, just for diagnostic-purposes, and testing-purposes. Any of you do this? I will keep you posted. I am looking forward to reading your posts, as well. Lemme know how I should be attacking this problem.

Mumme

svol

Champion
Do you also put an CPU and mem in your mobo, if you're testing it without CPU I don't think it will load the BIOS.

Power button and leds don't have anything to do with the powersuplly, in princip you can use the leds and switch on any powerspupply you want.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Thanks for the input. No, I meant that, in the future, I will configure the mobo, w/ the essential stuff. Like the RAM and the CPU, and videocard. I would then connect it to a powersupply, to find out if it is good, or not. @ this point, I fhink that I am making-progress. Why? Because the thing @ least heeps @ me, now. The hard drive light is also staying on, for some-reason. Anyway, here is the beep-code:two long, eight short, and then a five second pause, followed by two short, and one long. That's all he does. After that, he just sits there, blowing hot-air. Any ideas-suggestions? Still looks like mobo, to me. Alomost-certainly.

Mumme

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
That beep code is an indication that SOMETHING is wrong. Write down the long and shorts of what you hear, then look up 'beep codes' in your mobos' manual. Youwill then find the source of your problem.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
btw, cold temps will not harm your computer as long as you let it warm up to room temperature before you try to boot it up. Otherwise you run the risk of condensation in the components (that's bad).

An ARMED society is a POLITE society.

Martin, MI

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Agreed, my laptop freezes (we're talking temperature here) all the time. I've used it in ambient temperatures from -30C to +35C.

- JW

G

Just to make sure your starting from scratch here...try removing the battery from the mainboard.(if there are any - short the two points where it's masked "RESET" on the mainboard)

¸_____________________¸¸ ¸
|¯NoRwEgIaN VIKING¬¯

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Could be because of any number of things. Make sure the mainboard is not grounded to the frame. Reseat all your PCI/AGP cards and check all the connections, including the CPU fan. Be sure that the J4 jumper is set to the "normal" setting. Pay particular attention to the memory modules, and make sure that one of them isn't partially installed. That can cause all sorts of weird behavior.

Check to make sure the board itself isn't cracked. Make sure there are no broken pins or components on the board; if there are, you will have problems with whatever component of the PC uses that connection. Check for any socketed components that may be loose in their sockets, and push them gently but firmly back into the socket if this has happened.

Make sure the keyboard is inserted correctly into the motherboard.

Try swapping out the video card ... the memory on the card could be damaged.

Here's a link to the mainboard manual:

<A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/support.htm" target="_new">http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/support.htm</A>

That's a lot of beep codes, so you may have more than one problem. Is that an AMI BIOS?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm thinking he tried to power the system up before letting the computer reach room temperature. He probably had condensation shorting who knows what....

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

G

Great-news!:
Just letting you know, that I am almost-done, w/ this-PC. Got the 40gig hard drive fdisked, and formatted. Just need to put in the Plextor CDRW, and I will have the system basically-built. The last thing, will be the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. The configuration will be Wavesonic toolless-tower w/ 351watt PS, ECS K7S5a mobo, 40gig 7200RPM 8.9ms Hdd, Nvidia Geforce2MX AGP card w/ 64MB of RAM, Plextor 16/10/40A CD-writer, and that Santa Cruze sound card. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the pathetic 1.44 MB fdd. But you knew that, right? It is so-cool, not just the 7-fans in this thing. What is so-cool, is that I was able to make the PC recognize the speed of my Tbird (1.4GHz). How? Well, I just went to the BIOS, and set everything to 133MHz, on the CPU-settings. Up from 100MHz. That made all the difference. We are on the homestretch, now. Will let you know, when it's done.

Take it easy,

Mumme

G

The Plextor CD-Writer has been put in, successfully. Now, all that remains to be done, is to install the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, and to hook up the cable from the sound card to the CD-Writer. And, voila!, we will be-done (for now:)).

Mumme

G

Hi:

Mumme here, again. Thanks, Flyboy, for the compliment!
Well, kids, here's the final-configuration. (It's all-working, too!) Enjoy!

Windows 98 ECS K7S5A 1.0
System Serial Number: 123456890
Asset Tag: 0123ABC
Chassis Serial Number: 123456890
Processor a Main Circuit Board
1400 megahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
39.48 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X [CD-ROM drive]
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (40.01 GB) -- drive 0 256 Megabytes Installed Memory
256 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
3 Memory Sockets are Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 40.01 GB 39.48 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Printers
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller None detected
Display
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 6.23 [Display adapter]
Super VGA 1600x1200 [Monitor]
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
MPU-401 Compatible
Santa Cruz Joystick
Santa Cruz PCI Audio Accelerator
Communications Other Devices
SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Card MAC Address: 00:07:95:05:51:A7 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Software Versions
Belarc Advisor and BelLive - Belarc's Content Personalization with Privacy Version 5.0h*
InterVideo WinDVD Version 3.1.58.5*
Microsoft (r) Windows Script Host Version 5.6.0.6626*
Microsoft Corporation - DirectShow Version 6.4.07.1119*
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2600.0000*
Microsoft® NetMeeting(TM) Version 2.1* Prassi Europe SARL - PrimoCD, PrimoCD Plus, PrimoCD Pro8, Pro16 and Pro64 Version 1.05.0607*
WinCinema Manager for InterVideo WinCinema products Version 1, 0, 0, 1*
WinZip Version 8.1 (4319)*
WinZip Version 8.1 (4331)*
Zone Labs Inc. - Internet Access Monitor Version 2.6.362*
ZoneAlarm Version 2.6.362*

Mumme

G

Thanks, Pike.
Here are the latest-stats:
Operating System System Model
Windows 2000 Professional ECS K7S5A 1.0
System Serial Number: 123456890
Asset Tag: 0123ABC
Chassis Serial Number: 123456890
Processor a Main Circuit Board
1400 megahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS K7S5A 1.0
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules
40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X [CD-ROM drive]
PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1610A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

MAXTOR 6L040L2 (40.03 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 0 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
256 Megabyte Module Size - 2 Installed
2 Memory Sockets are Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive N) 40.02 GB 37.54 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Printers
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS PCI IDE Controller EPSON Stylus COLOR 880 on LPT1:

Display
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX [Display adapter]
Bus Adapters Multimedia
None detected Santa Cruz(tm)
Communications Other Devices
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Controller
Network Card MAC Address:
Intel(r) PC Camera CS110
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
Software Licenses

Microsoft - Internet Explorer
Microsoft - MS Office 97 Professional Microsoft - Windows 2000 Professional
Software Versions
Belarc Advisor and BelLive - Belarc's Content Personalization with Privacy Version 5.0h*
Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 5.00.2134.1*
Eastman Software, Inc., A Kodak Business - Imaging for Windows® Version 5.00.2134.1*
Eastman Software, Inc., A Kodak Business - Imaging for Windows® Version 5.00.2138.1*
FastTrack - Morpheus Version 1, 0, 0, 1*
Frontcode Technologies - WinMX Version 2.6*
Inetcam, Inc. - iVISTA VideoWebPage Version 3.5*
Intel Corporation - Blank Description Version 1.0*
Intel Puzzle Version 1.00.130.028*
Intel® Create & Share® Software Version 5.0*
Intel® Video Phone Version 5.0*
InterVideo WinDVD Version 3.1.58.5*
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 5.00.2920.0000*
Microsoft Corporation - Windows® NetMeeting® Version 3.01*
Microsoft Excel Version 8.0e*
Microsoft Office Version 8.0* Microsoft Outlook Version 8.04*
Microsoft Windows Media Player Version 6.4.09.1109*
Microsoft® Schedule+ for Windows 95(TM) Version 7.5*
Microsoft® Word for Windows® 97 Version 8.0b*
MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX Version 7.00.0149*
Outer Technologies - StartEd Version 4*
Prassi Europe SARL - PrimoCD, PrimoCD Plus, PrimoCD Pro8, Pro16 and Pro64 Version 1.05.0607*
SureThing CD Labeler *
Symantec Corporation - Norton Ghost Boot Wizard Version 6.5.0.131*
Symantec Corporation - Norton Ghost Explorer Version 6.5.0.131*
Voyetra Turtle Beach Web Launcher Version 2.00.06*
Voyetra Turtle Beach, Inc. - Turtle Beach Santa Cruz(tm) Version 1.0.4081*
WinZip Version 8.1 (4331)*
Yahoo! Messenger Version 5, 0, 0, 1052*
Zone Labs Inc. - Internet Access Monitor Version 2.6.362*
ZoneAlarm Version 2.6.362*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mumme

svol

Champion
How did you get all those information, with some kind of program?
It's an impressive long list of information.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have nothing to add to this conversation except that this is the best subject ever :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

TRENDING THREADS