Very high ping when gaming and streaming music/videos

Kupuntu

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
So I got 8MB/1MB internet at home and so far I haven't been able to fix the problem I have: if I watch youtube and try to play pretty much any game that uses internet, i go from 70ms ping to 300ms++ instantly. Even if only two computers are on and both have the same game on, just opening a Google Chrome with one youtube tab on causes a HUGE ping. Two computers with youtube and CS 1.6 on shouldn't cause that.

My setup is as following: old ZyXel ADSL-modem 660 series with one LAN port and web config (so it has settings to be modify) and a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT v23. All computers I use run either 32-bit Windows 7, Vista or XP. However, it doesn't matter which computers I use; I've tried this with more than 5 computers already. All cables have also been tested and changed.

I doubt this is normal, but as I don't currently have any spare network stuff to replace anything with, I think you know better what to try first. I tried searching the forums and google but so far no luck.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
This is completely normal.

When you stream media it uses a lot of bandwidth which cases the higher ping.

Try configuring and tweaking the QoS on the router. You should be able to prioritise the game packets leading to much less ping.