device driver programming

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hi
I am new to device driver programming. Please can any one tell me where
to start from.

G

"Ashutosh" <ashutosh_kr_b@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Ol$87sFmEHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I am new to device driver programming. Please can any one tell me where
> to start from.

Try to stay away from driver programming. Study dot net.

--PA

G

Here's a couple of things to get you started:

1) Be prepared to go through a big learning curve. Writing device drivers
is not an easy task.

2) Get the Device Driver Kit (DDK)
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/ddk/default.mspx

3) Read Programming the Microsoft® Windows® Driver Model, Second Edition
(http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6262.asp)

4) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc. Lots of good stuff there.

Good luck!

--
Sandy Spinrad [MSFT]
Developer, Windows Core Bluetooth Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Ashutosh" <ashutosh_kr_b@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Ol$87sFmEHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> I am new to device driver programming. Please can any one tell me where
> to start from.

chandrabhanu

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I am also new to device driver programming.Can anybody help me with some new material for device driver programming.I have downloaded a lot of required material but all in book is difficult to understand to start with and I am concerned with development in both Linux and windows.
Please give any quick suggestions for any ebook or audio or video tutorials.

I think the reason that you found the book difficult to understand is that it is an extremely difficult subject. You are programming the computer at the very lowest level and need to have intimate knowledge of the hardware and the programming models for the various devices. This can be difficult as not all manufacturers provide such information. There is no easy answer because it is not an easy topic.

Probably the best way to learn device driver programming, and indeed any sort of programming, is to study examples of such code. This is easy with Linux as all the source code is available and there are several books on the topic. It's a bit more difficult with Windows because, although some examples can be found, the source code for most device drivers is not available.

I'm afraid that if you are interested in tackling one of the most challenging aspects of computer programming then you must be prepared for a steep learning curve.

There is no "programming drivers in 10 days books". You need to learn some programming languages first, then specialize in drivers. My father does this, he has 30 years of experience in about 4-5 languages, not an easy thing to do.