Sign in with
Your question

$400 office computer

Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2012 5:52:21 AM

so let me preface with saying there's some specific brands i prefer, namely using asus motherboards when possible and the intel I series processors. I'm also bias towards corsair PSU's as it's all i've ever used but i know for a build like this their lowest psu will likely be way more than i need so open to reliable alternatives.

I'm trying to put together a new computer for my father for Christmas. He only ever really uses it to surf the internet, do basic word processing, and watching streaming video, so it's not like it needs to be a monster machine, however i'd like it to last him a while, and given his current machine is still running windows XP and has a single core cpu, something that will bring him into this decade of computers. Mostly looking for a second opinion on the build as a whole and for a second (or more) set of eyes to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

build so far:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Optic: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB

Power: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W

More about : 400 office computer

a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 6:06:11 AM

the build looks fine...the only thing i would do is use a better case like the antec one case or one that had a few 120mm fans. the antec case and or one like it going to give you some extra room to work on if it your first build. mini case are fine but sometime you have to shoe horn the mb in. the only part i would add is a 212 or an after market heat sink that had a back plate and screws. the intel heat sinks with the plastic legs dont sit well on the back of some mb and can fall off or become lose over time and cause the cpu to over heat. do not put windows 8 on the new pc..you drive your dad nuts...there no start bar that he used to. i would also set up for your dad some online backup storage so he can back up online any family photos or work that he does not want to lose.
m
l
!