Sign in with
Your question

Very new to PC building, monitor won't display anything

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2012 2:02:36 AM

Hi, I recently saved up all summer as a 14-year-old trying to build my own gaming PC. I had bought the ASUS-remodelled GTX 570 DirectCU II graphics card and put it into my brand newly assembled PC into a P8Z77-V LX motherboard and got everything up and running. Now, as it said in the title, I am incredibly new to this; so new that I didn't know to plug in the monitor into the GPU, I just put it in the onboard slot.

I just used a regular TV I had lying around until I can afford an actual monitor. I got everything installed and got it to work on the onboard slot, but after finding out I'm NOT supposed to do that, I plugged it into the GPU but it would just show a black screen; "NO SIGNAL" had stopped showing. I tried other VGA cables, HDMI, but nothing worked. I also know it's on because I can type in the password and hear the "logging in" Windows sound.

Also, small notes, I don't know if they're important;
-Windows 7 was accidentally installed twice (>.<)
-Onboard slot doesn't work after trying GPU slot. (I don't mind this; I just want the GPU working)
-Device Manager only lists "Standard VGA Adaptor" (Is that the onboard, or..?)
-Driver disk can't find the video card (?) (broken mobo? GPU?)
-Fans spin, and lights up (can only the display port be broken but can the rest work?)

So; recap:
ASUS GTX 570 DCII in a P8Z77-V LX, both new
TV had worked with onboard slot in VGA
VGA does not work on GPU

If there are any other important information, I'll try to post it here. Please help soon. Thanks.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 2:34:09 AM

Have you find a way to get on to the BIOS? If not, then I would probably try re-seating the card. Probably there is an error on the motherboard, that doesn't let the motherboard properly use the GPU.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:45:56 AM

I have gotten to the BIOS, and I think I can get it up again. Also, by re-seating, do you mean to take it out of it's slot and put it back in, because I don't know if the GPU will fit, it takes up three spaces in the back ports (don't remember it's name) What should I be looking for in BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 3:03:19 AM

Feldethain said:
I have gotten to the BIOS, and I think I can get it up again. Also, by re-seating, do you mean to take it out of it's slot and put it back in, because I don't know if the GPU will fit, it takes up three spaces in the back ports (don't remember it's name) What should I be looking for in BIOS?

In order to get the GPU to work you are gonna need to get to the bios.

In the bios look for "initial display" set it to PEG. Also you are gonna need to look for the onboard gpu and disable it, if there is an option for "shared memory" disable that as well.

It's best not to use the disk drivers, causes a lot of issues as they are often VERY old.

You need to download the newest drivers from the nvidia website for your OS.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 3:06:35 AM

Feldethain said:

If you get onto the BIOS, leave the reseating business.

You should look onto something that says similarly like 'main display adapter'. Then, change it to PCI-E.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 3:10:55 AM

did you supply power to the card ? what is your power supply ( make and model ). did you install drivers for the card ? you said something about different connections, one of them being HDMI. Did you go into the TV's control panel and enable that particular HDMI slot so the TV will be recognized as the PC's monitor........ ie: HDMI 1 will be for TV. HDMI 4 will be for the PC........ you need to enable that. when you want to watch TV again you need to set it back to the HDMI 1.
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:45:10 AM

Okay, thanks, I'll try this in the morning. :) 
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:19:05 PM

Well, there's another problem. Do I need to get to BIOS on GPU? Because I only got there with the onboard slot. Can I just go onboard to change the settings or does the GPU need to be in? It won't work with it in.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:38:52 PM

With the onboard slot, the only thing that mentions PEG is when it asks me for it's frequency. I had changed the "Primary Output Device" to "PCI-E". Unfortunately I cannot print the screen to show what's wrong but mostly every thing's option is either "Choose your own frequency" or just "Disable/enable". Should I restart it then put in the GPU?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 2:42:26 PM

peg is right.............. if you have the option for PCI-e choose that. card should already be in machine. F10 and then enter. settings should be saved.

"normal" frequency of the pci-e is 100 but don't know why there isn't an option for auto.
m
l
October 28, 2012 3:49:02 PM

I chose PCI-E saved and restarted, but I put in the GPU before I started it up again, but lo and behold... black screen. :l
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 4:05:02 PM

so this brings us to the part where you say I looked in the TV's control panel and chose the correct HDMI port and now the monitor works right... ???

and what do you mean by this ?

ASUS-remodelled"................ this a referb card ?
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2012 4:45:28 PM

what I meant was.... is this a brand new card or a refurbished card ?

how many HDMI ports are listed in the control panel ?

and you do have the tv connected to the card and not the on board ?
m
l
October 28, 2012 7:10:37 PM

It's brand-new, and I just get a black screen when the only HDMI channel and port doesn't work on the GPU.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2012 2:16:05 AM

using a two dollar hdmi cable ?
m
l
!