Laggy windows

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
hello. i'm having problems with a sony vaio notebook, model vpcse - 1e1e . in games like cod-mw3 i get like 30-40 fps 1920*1080 but in windows is so laggy :( ... when i minimise windows, when i simply drag them on desktop or even when i'm trying to select a text...like when u're reading it...i click and hold, i drag the mouse, but the blue filled line is coming like 1 cm after.
the video card i'm having is a ati radeon hd 6630m switchable with intel 3000. this model of notebook has a special button to switch them so when i'm switching them from ati to intel and back to ati everything it's working fine.. for a wile... after 20-30 min or after restart it's laggy again :((

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name VAIO-VAIO
System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
System Model VPCSE1E1E
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date INSYDE R2085H4, 16/11/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
4 gb ram ddr3

Please,can someone tell me what can i do?... i already install physx and direct x update... ati card and intel to the latest driver... but i think it;s something wrong with the windows... but even after reinstall it's the same

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
NO. in games is perfect. really. the problem is in windows. in desktop ... moving and dragging windows.. selecting text.. this is the problem..why in games is ok but in windows mode.. that is less demanding has this lag ?!

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
without any game in the background.. without any aplication.. let's say just after start-up.. the only thing to change it to move normal is to change the theme of aero... like from "windows 7" to "scenes" or "nature". after this is running all nice and smooth...for about 20-30 minutes, or restart

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If you start the Task Manager, and monitor the CPU usage with the graphs before and after the phenomenon, can you identify any pattern?

(Btw, I hate to be a grammar nazi, but you know, initial capitals at the start of sentences were invented for a reason... Your style really makes it hard to grasp what you are trying to say.)

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
(Sorry for that)

There is nothing noticeable in the task manager. In the both ways the CPU is used at 0.0 - 0.3 only in explorer.exe, and sometimes 0.1 is using McAfee.

loganvito

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Usually issues that occur after a certain time period of 20-30 minutes imply a heat issue. Have you spot checked the cpu temp (by hand is fine) when this issue begins occuring? There are a number of aftermarket cooling pads made exactly for this purpose.

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I used CPUID Harware Monitor and this is the result after 15 min playing at full HD. I think the temp's are normal no? But the issue is happening every time i start the PC. The only way i found to lose this lag is to chenge windows theme to Classic and then back to Windows 7 Aero... Has to be a tweak or something somewhere... I dont think vaio will take the warranty only for these reason. It's just hurting the eye :(

http://picpaste.com/pics/Untitled1-0tngNLlQ.1330445098.jpg

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Thank you everybody for trying to help and sorry for my english :)

Can someone tell me software that i can record desktop in hd but at high FPS? Like this i can show everybody what i'm talking about.

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I noticed one thing. In Fraps, i get after starting the pc 40-44 FPS, but if i change the theme to "Basic" and back to "Windows 7", i get a maximum of 60 FPS. Please can someone help me fix it?

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Yes so? Even if uninstall the games or even if i reinstall Windows it's the same.. I dont think the games are a problem. Actually in games is working just fine, in windows is the problem ( unless i dezactivate aero and enable again) :(

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
You bought this laptop as new, with Windows 7 on it? And this error started later? Or shortly after you bought it? Or it was like this from the beginning?

If it came with Windows 7, and it was good at the beginning (maybe they tweaked it up somehow), don't you have a recovery option, which restores the factory status?

Sorry for the silly questions, I'm just keeping this thread bumped for ya ;-)

(Btw, you did perform the latency test when it showed the signs, didn't you? okay, I can't be more silly than that :p neither you :p :p)

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for replying. Yes i boght it from Sony Center with Windows 7 x64 Home Premium on it, and this "bug" was on from the beginning. So the first thing i've done was to make the Restore from Factory Disk (5 dvd). 2'd thing, i've downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate and install it, but it had the same laggy movement. Then i thought it's the HDD because was on 5400 rpm.. so i bought a new Western Digital 750gb at 7200 rpm. Restored from back-up disk's, was the same. I tryed Driver Genius to update my videocard because i tought it's faulty, but the new driver was even worse. Specially in games. Then i restore again from factory to original settings (this is creating only one partition c:). Same thing. And one more time.....i restore from factory with 2 partition ( c: and d: ) + 20gb the image from Sony to use it without the dvd. And now i'm here asking for help cause i dont know what to do. Sony for sure will say this is not a good reason for service, and if i take it to a PC service i will lose the warranty (actually i think a already lost it by changing the hdd).
Before this notebook i had another Vaio that was running so perfect...but was a bit old.
One thing. I tried to use the TV to see if it's the same. Using HDMI cable it's the same problem, so it's not from the Display.
What i just noticed is that if i'm changing the Monitor to 16 bit and back to 32 bit it's also fixing the problem. Maybe because it's disabling and enabling Aero.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Okay, I think I got the whole story. And my opinion is: go for the warranty. For that much money (it's price puts it into the premium category, from where I see), you should be able to expect flawless working.

At this point, - if I were you, I mean - I wouldn't even be interested in whether it is hardware or software. The error can be reproduced, you have done anything and everything to be able to properly describe it on the warranty-form. It's their job now, to make you happy.

Put back the original hard drive, do a restore, do a test, (make notes, how to reproduce the problem... even if it's just waiting around for a while), and off it goes.

Or you can ask around, what people know about Sony support, and what constitues a legit cause for warranty, but I'd think you're over-thinking it.

Just be strong and take a stand for your customer rights.

pokr777

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I think i'll do that friday. Thank you for support and if they will say it's not a problem i'll come back here. I'll let u guys know anyway.