ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Green 530W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $861.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-16 06:16 EST-0500)

I built this computer about two months ago and it has been running smoothly until today. While I was browsing the internet the computer monitor went black and was unresponsive. I eventually had to manually power down the computer. This happened twice within the past half hour. There were no error messages or anything, just a black screen on the monitor. The monitor, to my knowledge, works fine. Does anybody have a clue what may be the problem?
Currently I am running windows 7. I was running steam, chrome, and skype. Let me know if any other imformation might help.
Hopefully I posted in the correct section!!
thanks for any help :)

dandare

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
or use gpu-z. dowload and open. click on sensor tab to check temps. you can tick the log to file box and it will run a constant log of all gpu info umtil you close it. this may help you ascertain if it is doing something odd at the monet it crashes.

godspanther

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Do you have a second moniter you can try? While overheating sounds like the most likely culprit be sure to double check all system cables to make sure nothing is loose. 530w also strike me as a little low for the system. Makes me wonder how close you might be to maxing out you power supply. Could be bad cables too. Had that happen to me once. Everything on the screen had a yellowish tint. replaced the cable and it fixed the problem.

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
I just checked the cables, they seem to be secure. The reason I don't think it is a monitor problem is because I was in the middle of a skype call and the call ended. If Even if the monitor stopped working, the call should have continued correct?
I'll check with another monitor and see if it helps..

Update:
Also my computer just went completely to sleep by itself.. I was again in the middle of my call/internet browsing. I can't think of any reason for it to go to sleep on its on..

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Rosewill PSUs are not the brand you put on a system like this...asking for trouble!
You should buy a decent supply eg. Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, Antec and probably 650watt or higher.
You don't put a 50 dollar PSU on 800 dollars worth of hardware!!!
Hope this helps...JQ

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I would uninstall your video drivers and use driver sweeper in safe mode to clear them out. Then reinstall. This could be caused by a driver conflict or faulty hardware. Check to make sure all your drivers are up to date.

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
If this is a psu problem, are there any temporary solutions to lower my wattage use? Are there any ways for me to reduce the risk of damage to the hardware if this happens again? I won't be able to buy a new psu for a while unfortunately..

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
You could remove the graphics card and run the on board HD4000 video for a while...
This will lighten the load on the psu but I think the supply is already failing at this point...
You could try and get it replaced under warranty or something if it's only 2-3 months old...
The specs on this card call for a 500watt or higher power supply....add in all the other hardware and 530 is gone!!!
There is also a vendor list of qualified power supplies here..
http://support.amd.com/us/certified/power-supplies/Pages/listing.aspx
Hope this helps...JQ