Sign in with
Your question

System turns on and off 4 times before booting normally. (DEFECTIVE)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2012 1:21:22 PM

I just bought the G41M-P33 Combo board (new from Amazon) to replace a recently dead ASUS board, so I could use my Core 2 Quad Q9450 and DDR2 1066Mhz ram (2x2GB). I fully tested the ram and cpu. When I turn on the system with pretty much nothing, it will turn on the power led and fans, then turns off. And it repeats this about 4 times. After that, it then powers on normally and boots up fine.

It came with BIOS 32.8, so I updated to 32.9 (latest) and same issue. I was first using a USB keyboard, so I tried a PS2 keyboard. Same issue. Ran memtest 4.20 and it completes with no errors. Tested ram, cpu, and power supply using another mainboard, and it works fine. But on this new G41M-P33 Combo board, it powers off and on 4 times before the BIOS posts anything to video. No video card installed right now.

Any ideas? Google search, Tom's Hardware Forum, and an MSI forum search lead me no where.

So far everything seems to be fine other than it not booting normally on the first power up.

UPDATE: MSI board here must be defective, got a BioStar T41 HD that works perfectly. System repaired.

More about : system turns times booting defective

December 16, 2012 6:24:28 PM

According to the BIOS POST screen, the DDR2 RAM is running at 667 Mhz Dual Channel. So not sure if I can get it to run at the full 1066 Mhz. But not sure that would help.

I have also noticed going in and out of the BIOS, that the system will never boot normally after saving and exiting the BIOS. But it WILL boot right away (no power cycles) if I "Exit without saving", from the BIOS Setup! That can't be right either. If I save and exit from BIOS setup, the power doesn't cycle, screen stays black and it never boots.
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:58:44 PM

I also just found out at it will not soft-reboot at all. If I am in Windows and tell it to restart after an update, it shuts down and then goes blank and then never boots back up. Which seems to follow the BIOS save and exit symptom.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 7:14:01 PM

if you use cpu-z and look at the memory memory reading and it give you 667 x2 that is the real memory speed,did you check if you got all the driver install for this computer and the components also if you use a pci-e graphic try to test her on another system.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:14:44 PM

check your boot order.

also, have you got more than one hdd plugged in?
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:20:02 PM

Board: MSI G41M-P33 Combo
Bios: Version 32.9 (came with 32.8, updated to latest 32.9, same symptoms with either version)
VGA: On board video (Same symptoms using a PCIE GTX 9800 in testing)
PSU: Antec NeoPower 550 watt. Neo HE550, 18A +12V1, 18A +12V2, 18A +12V3, 20A +5V, 24A +3.3V (Same symptoms using 2 other power supplies.)
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9450 (95 Watt)
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (up to 130 W cpus)
MEM: Crucial CT25664AA1067.16FE1 1066 Mhz CL7 (2x 2GB DDR 2 running at 667 Mhz) I tried some 400 Mhz DDR2 and that doesn't work at all in this board.
HDD: Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm SATA (same symptoms without drive)
OC: No over-clock. Stock 2.66 Ghz

Testing using USB keyboard and PS2 keyboard. Of course, same symptoms. Testing using AC power straight from the wall, different circuits in the house, and a UPS with power filter. All the same symptoms.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:22:35 PM

hilltopmonk said:
check your boot order.

also, have you got more than one hdd plugged in?

The symptoms happen regardless of a HDD plugged in or not. Which makes sense as the issue is happening before BIOS posting. So it hasn't even checked the SATA ports yet for devices.

But to answer your quesion, only 1 SATA HDD and 1 SATA BDR/DVDRW. Boot order is HDD, then optical drive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 7:23:10 PM

look like with all the test you made there is something with that motherboard you will have to rma her.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:25:38 PM

scout_03 said:
if you use cpu-z and look at the memory memory reading and it give you 667 x2 that is the real memory speed,did you check if you got all the driver install for this computer and the components also if you use a pci-e graphic try to test her on another system.

Symptoms happen with and without an HDD installed. The issue is before BIOS post occurs. OS agnostic. I have tested with and without a video card installed.

All components test and work fine using a different motherboard. But that board is already in use for a different system. I really didn't want this board, but I couldn't find another DDR2 LGA 775 board for this Q9450 CPU, that had overnight shipping from Amazon. Even Newegg only had this 1 board in stock when I bought it last Friday.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:27:02 PM

scout_03 said:
look like with all the test you made there is something with that motherboard you will have to rma her.

I am thinking the same thing. Just odd that once it does POST, it boots and works just fine.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:53:01 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Biostar-T41-HD-Intel-Motherboard/...

This one has more expansion slots including X1, and the Sata ports won't get covered by a 2 slot, long video card. But more importantly, I can get $3.99 overnight shipping with my Amazon Prime. Which I need since I have to have this repaired by Wed to be sent back to my Uncle.

I just wish this MSI board was 100% DOA, then I wouldn't have wasted so much time on it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 11:56:16 PM

this one is out of stock i would suggest yout to try get a used card and start to put some found in a box to update all your system .
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:00:53 AM

scout_03 said:
this one is out of stock i would suggest yout to try get a used card and start to put some found in a box to update all your system .

When you say "this one is out of stock" are you talking about the Biostar one that I linked to on Amazon? If so, it's out of stock because I bought the last one. Should be here on Tuesday.

As for the rest of your comment. I am not sure what you mean by "get a used card and start to put some found in a box to update all your system "

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2012 12:12:13 AM

that why is show out of stuck,the idea whas to start raising found to get a more update system in the future,for the used one it was because the out of stock on the link.
m
l
December 17, 2012 12:25:28 AM

scout_03 said:
that why is show out of stuck,the idea whas to start raising found to get a more update system in the future,for the used one it was because the out of stock on the link.

Sorry, I think you mean funds, not found.

This is my Uncle's system. I myself already have an i7 3770k system.

He doesn't have the money right now to upgrade. As it is, under $100 for a new motherboard is his max. Just poor timing right now for his Asus board to die, with Christmas.

Hopefully this Biostar just works so I can return the MSI to Amazon and move on.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 17, 2012 12:29:55 AM

yes your wright english is not my first language,hope for him that this board will work and it happens in the wrong time for that board to let him without a computer,best wishes for you and your family.
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:31:14 PM

Update. Due to time constraints. I have replaced this MSI board with a BioStar T41 HD as it was the only other Amazon prime option for overnight shipping to fit my needs. It is working fine and the system is now repaired and ready to go back to my Uncle in time for Christmas.

It looks like my MSI board was defective. An odd defect and I think it was the BIOS specifically. But not enough time for me to deal with an exchange on it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 21, 2012 1:55:13 AM

glad everything work back your uncle gone be happy having is system back.
m
l
!