Budget PC Advice - This machine will remotely access office machin

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Two weeks or so

Budget Range: $550 - $700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: :
Surfing the net when not remotely accessing office machine. That is primarily why I don't want to spend too much on machine.

When I remote in, I am still only working with a couple of spreadsheets - nothing earth shattering (Besides - am I correct in thinking when I remote in - I am actually using the office machine's resources?).

Are you buying a monitor: Yes - I need 2 - but they don't need to be high end. 23" is a good size.

Parts to Upgrade:

Do you need to buy OS: No - I have after-market copy of Windows 7 that I purchased

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Really open to suggestions. I have bought from Newegg before. I have a Costco membership, Walmart - whatever.

Parts Preferences:
I suppose I would like an i3 chip but am more concerned with keeping costs down. (Also I can't really say why I want an i3 except this new machine will be accessing an i3 Lenovo with 6GB and it works fine.....). I do like Samsung monitors but again - best bang for buck.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Don't even know what that means :))

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768 or 1280x1024 ? Don't have keen eye

Additional Comments:
I always wanted to put a machine together (but if anyone reading this has suggestions of good builders - I would appreciate). I chatted with Dell, Lenovo, Puget - they really don't let you customize a low end machine like I am talking about. Then, I went to TWIT chat - everyone said build it! Actually the thing that seems to be the hardest area for me to understand is the video card connection to the two monitors. I have come to understand that I probably require a video card and not 'integrated' graphics but don't know much beyond that.....

A year ago I went to Office Depot and bought an i3 Lenovo and two 23" Samsungs monitors on sale for my office. It works fine. But initially even though the desktop generates digital signals (DVI?) and the monitors were capable of digital input - our tech guy - used VGA - can't remember why - he said they weren't compatible. There was a good reason I'm sure and I must say those screens work fine. But it was more complicated than necessary.

So if anyone responds to this, could they explain the video signal mechanics, a proper card and most importantly what cable to get for two monitors (6'). I am fine with buying monitors from Walmart, Costco. But I do want to plug and play with correct cables and compatible video card.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It is a new machine that will let me work from home the same way I work at the office.
Thanks Everyone

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
First off, your tech guy would be right if using integrated graphics with only DB-9 VGA ports. DVI stands for Digital Video Interface. You can read up on it here.

Here is a good office PC for your budget and specs.

CPU - AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor :: $129.99
Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX :: $89.99
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 :: $29.99
Case - Sentey CS1-1410 Classic Series Case w/ PSU BRP400 – 400W Included :: $49.99
HDD - Western Digital WD Green WD5000AZRX 500GB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" :: $69.99
Video - EVGA 02G-P3-2639-KR GeForce GT 630 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 :: $64.99
Monitor - 2X LG IPS224T-PN Black 22" 14ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor :: $259.98
DVI Cables - 2X Rosewill 6ft. DVI-D (24+1) Male to DVI-D (24+1) Male Digital Dual Link Cable :: $13.98

Grand Total :: $708.90

This will be a great machine for multitasking office needs and enough video power for a dual monitor setup. Good data transfer speeds using SATA 6GB/s interfacing. Hope this helps (and includes the monitors, yay!!)

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
cBall -

Thanks for the quick reply. I like the monitors. I have some noob questions about video connections:

Here are the specs for your video card/b]:
Ports:
HDMI - 1 x mini HDMI
DVI - 2 x DVI

Here are the specs for your dual monitors:
Input Video Compatibility: Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors: D-Sub, DVI-D
D-Sub 1
DVI 1
HDMI No
DisplayPort No

I looked at your DVI link and the cable solution. Looks straightforward!
Two DVI ports on card, Two DVI-D cables, Two DVI-D inputs (one on each monitor). So that means no conversion and no adapters. Great!

I am hardware agnostic but just curious what is the equivalent Intel processor for your AMD?

Finally - I just discovered Tom's yesterday and will do more reading but to physically assemble such a configuration, is there a good web page that walks a novice through such a build here or elsewhere that you think does a good job. This will be my first time.

Thanks Again
Peter

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Also - I see the case comes with the power supply - which is probably normal but if I order the complete list compiled. Are these any cables that won't come automatically?

Suggestion for inexpensive speakers?

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I went with AMD just because of your budget. Since your not doing any intensive gaming or overclocking, the price difference is much for efficient to go with AMD

Here is Intel comparable CPU :: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
AMD FX-4300 vs Intel Core i7-2600K

About a $200 difference as the i7 does bench better than the AMD FX-4300. Plus, I have been running AMD for a while and have not had any problems. I have a Phenom II X4 2.8GHz Quad with a 25% overclock to 3.5GHz and been running like this for over a year.

As far as cheap speakers, if by that you mean just stereo, you can pick up some on newegg as well.
Gear Head SP2600ACB 2.0 Powered Desktop Speaker System

As far as cables, you should get everything you need with the motherboard, cpu, case, etc. The only thing is the DVI cables, don't forget those. Monitors only come with VGA cables

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Wow - it compares with the i7? I had no idea AMD was undercutting Intel so much - unbelievable!.
Won't even drop the$10 for the FX 6300 then....

The Sentey Case comes with 400watts of power - that is enough power for that processor? (Obviously I don't know but when I listen to podcasts they always seem to be talking about psu failures - just doublechecking.....)

As far as cables, I will order the Rosewills DVI video cables as you suggest - so I should be good......

Finally, Any web page suggestions for assembling machine? Did you use one when putting together your first machine?

Thanks so much
Peter

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
AMD is still below Intel's computing power (really in every way) but they are very much in-tune with people and, especially, people like you and I that would rather not spend the extra $200 dollars to get a comparable CPU, if need be.

Yeah that power supply will hold its own for the cpu. It's a 95W cpu and I was running my Phenom II X4 (95W) on a 350W PSU with a high-end graphics card no problem.

As far as any help for putting it together, your best bet would probably be YouTube. I always like watching someone actually do it over reading it from a web page. Just search for any installation steps that you need assistance with (especially CPU installation).

My first build was an IBM 386DX 40MHz way back in 1994 and I wish that I had had the technology of the internet that we have today :D .

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback. If I do you what you are suggesting, I will get a great machine for my needs and save over $300 fromr my last quote from Dell - XPS 8500. It had a 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3350P processor (6M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz) - and the monitors were only 21.5".

My first machine was an 8086 but this is my first build!