Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics card issues with prebuilt hp h8 1414

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 16, 2012 4:13:01 PM

My husband recently purchased me a HP Envy H8 1414 as an early Christmas/Anniversary gift.
However I do a lot of graphics intense CGI and gaming
I upgraded the PSU to a 520 Watt power supply to support a better graphics card. However, I have tried a Radeon 7850 and a NVidia 650 Ti, both new out off the shelf (tested in other Win7 systems to ensure its not the card). In both cases when I install the card I get a boot error and no video signal. Based on what I've read I am beginning to think it has to do with Windows 8 and that ridiculous UEFI (instead of EFI or Legacy BIOS). Can you help me figure out how to get a graphics card to work with the following system?

HP Envy H8 1414
AMD FX6120 6 core processor (yeah I know, Zambezi build bleh)
M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) motherboard
520 watt power supply
DDR3 -1600 (10 GB)
AMD Radeon 7450 came standard and installed on purchase

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks!
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 9:23:57 PM

Can you post your boot error message text ?

Assume things are perfect when you re-install the 7450, and that you've got the correct power connectors in the 7850 and 650ti.

Can you post the brand/model of 520W PSU. That should be plenty of power.

Can you confirm you can get into the BIOS, and that the system is failing later when trying to boot windows (or is refusing to boot windows because something is not matching in the UEFI anti-root-kit stuff).

m
0
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 9:32:30 PM

This is probably it: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156...

When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

When an after-market graphics card is installed into a motherboard with UEFI enabled in the system BIOS, or if the system is a certified Windows 8 PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

UEFI is a new system BIOS feature that is provided on most new motherboards. A UEFI system BIOS is required in order for the Windows 8 Secure Boot feature to work. Secure boot is enabled by default on certified Windows 8 PCs.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that does not contain UEFI firmware, the end-user must first disable the secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

Note: Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA Add-in card

3) Boot the system using integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings. CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of F1, F2, F8, F12, or Delete (depends on the system firmware) Alternatively they can be accessed in Windows 8 as follows: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-...

5) Set Secure Boot to disabled

6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings

8) Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA Add-in card

10) The system should now boot
m
0
l
Related resources
December 17, 2012 12:40:43 PM

As it turns out compatibility boot only works in x86 machines. As this machine is 64 bit there is no way to disable the secure boot and turn on compatibility mode.

Microsoft has effectively created an OEM that is anti-competitive and anti end user as you no longer can control what does and does not go into your system.
m
0
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2012 4:26:03 PM

lpcg said:
As it turns out compatibility boot only works in x86 machines. As this machine is 64 bit there is no way to disable the secure boot and turn on compatibility mode.

Microsoft has effectively created an OEM that is anti-competitive and anti end user as you no longer can control what does and does not go into your system.


This cant be right. There is an advanced options panel in most HP BIOS's. Contact HP and ask them how to get the UEFI BIOS to recognize a new graphics card. Please post if you get it working.
m
0
l
December 27, 2012 4:06:01 PM

HP stated they can't assist. Frankly I know more about UEFI's than the case manager. I had to read to her about them from the Microsoft website. Was not at all happy. I finally got a through the UEFI to disable secure boot by entering a series of codes first. Ten I had to confirm the change by entering yet another code (1963+Enter).

Still doesn't boot with the new card...
m
0
l
a b α HP
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2012 6:39:56 PM

lpcg said:
HP stated they can't assist. Frankly I know more about UEFI's than the case manager. I had to read to her about them from the Microsoft website. Was not at all happy. I finally got a through the UEFI to disable secure boot by entering a series of codes first. Ten I had to confirm the change by entering yet another code (1963+Enter).

Still doesn't boot with the new card...


sigh. Thanks for posting. If you find solution please post that too. Either you have a bad MB or everyone with an HP is going to go through this.

Maybe a note to AMD and NVIDIA would help. Seems they should have skin in making their Radeon 7850 and NVidia 650 Ti work in HP computers.

m
0
l
December 27, 2012 11:27:52 PM

I was able to disable secure boot after 7 hours with Microsoft. Unfortunately, system still wont boot with the after market card.
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 11:30:39 AM

lpcg said:
I was able to disable secure boot after 7 hours with Microsoft. Unfortunately, system still wont boot with the after market card.


Were you ever able to get this going? I have the exact same computer trying to install evga gt640 and have disabled secure boot & enabled legacy support but it still will not boot with the new card. Wanted to see if you have had better luck
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 4:55:32 PM

pixelnated said:
Were you ever able to get this going? I have the exact same computer trying to install evga gt640 and have disabled secure boot & enabled legacy support but it still will not boot with the new card. Wanted to see if you have had better luck


I am upgrading mine soon. Any sucess?

Apparently someone got it to work:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monito...

Also in the reviews on bestbuy, another said he replaced his sucessfully.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 6:23:11 PM

not yet on my own. I've even disabled fast boot but I can't get it to work. I submitted a ticket through evga to see if they can help. I'll post any updates I get.

Synapse79 said:
I am upgrading mine soon. Any sucess?

Apparently someone got it to work:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monito...

Also in the reviews on bestbuy, another said he replaced his sucessfully.

m
0
l
December 29, 2012 8:09:42 PM

pixelnated said:
not yet on my own. I've even disabled fast boot but I can't get it to work. I submitted a ticket through evga to see if they can help. I'll post any updates I get.


Alright, thanks, sounds great. Also, apparently other's that have had the GPU and not booting problem have reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, or something along those lines. Have you tried? I don't see how it would work, but I'd be willing to try anything.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:51:26 PM

so far this is what I have heard from EVGA. It is over the holidays so there is some lag in getting another response but I think I'm going to return this card and get something else based on what they said.

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that your 640 is having a problem on your HP computer. Do you have another system to test this card in to determine if the card is working properly? We have found some HP systems that are incompatible with some of our newer 600 series cards.


Regards,
EVGA
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:23:30 PM

pixelnated said:
so far this is what I have heard from EVGA. It is over the holidays so there is some lag in getting another response but I think I'm going to return this card and get something else based on what they said.

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that your 640 is having a problem on your HP computer. Do you have another system to test this card in to determine if the card is working properly? We have found some HP systems that are incompatible with some of our newer 600 series cards.


Regards,
EVGA


I returned the computer yesterday. Good luck with the new card!
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:15:07 PM

No success for me. This rig is going back in favor of a custom build
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 4:05:45 PM

lpcg said:
No success for me. This rig is going back in favor of a custom build
I had the exact same problem with the same model. I finally bought a MSI Radeon R7770 Graphics card and it works perfectly.
m
0
l
February 3, 2013 4:10:09 PM

lpcg said:
No success for me. This rig is going back in favor of a custom build
I know this thread is a month old but thought I'd leave the reply above so if anyone else gets stuck this might help them. Like I said the Radeon R7770 worked perfectly after trying two other cards.
m
0
l
February 4, 2013 5:50:26 PM

IPaulWest said:
I know this thread is a month old but thought I'd leave the reply above so if anyone else gets stuck this might help them. Like I said the Radeon R7770 worked perfectly after trying two other cards.


Just wondering if anyone else has tried this card yet and with what results? I have the exact same model rig and want to change to the best card I can get that works. Did you have to enable/disable anything to get it to work or can you just plug it in and go? Also, are there any other models of this card or is this one the HD model??? How much better is this card compared to the one that came in the rig?
m
0
l
March 22, 2013 9:34:26 PM

Falling Leaf said:
IPaulWest said:
I know this thread is a month old but thought I'd leave the reply above so if anyone else gets stuck this might help them. Like I said the Radeon R7770 worked perfectly after trying two other cards.


Just wondering if anyone else has tried this card yet and with what results? I have the exact same model rig and want to change to the best card I can get that works. Did you have to enable/disable anything to get it to work or can you just plug it in and go? Also, are there any other models of this card or is this one the HD model??? How much better is this card compared to the one that came in the rig?


I know this thread is a few months old, but i've successfully installed my MSI AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB in this exact prebuilt model. I did however disabled the UEFI/Secure boot and enabled legacy mode before swapping cards. I dont know if that was even necessary but i wasn't leaving anything to chance. Tomb raider and AC3 now look great!
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 10:02:12 PM

I just wanna contribute to this.. I bought an HP h8-1559 in August 2013. I also wanted to upgrade my gpu (hd 7570 2gb ddr3) to something better. I tried the EVGA 650 1gb ddr5 but didn't work on my pc. Returned it then exchanged to a lower card, EVGA 630 2gb DDR3 cos I thought the 650 is too much for my system and my psu as well. But the 630 didn't work too so end up returning it. I researched about the UEFI stuff and found the Sapphire HD 7730 (UEFI):

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

Tired it and it worked! I didn't even do the Secure Boot thingy.

I'm not sure if the HP (AMD) pre-built systems only supports AMD cards. I checked the motherboard compatibility, it also supports NVidia cards too tho. So my suggestion is that when your looking for an upgrade to your card, look for the Windows 8/8.1 on the box of the gpu you are planning to buy. Cos some don't have it. You might also want to look at the UEFI on the box too. The only cards that I know has it (UEFI) are the Sapphire made cards (7730 and R9 280x:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

And the Windows 8.1 compatibility (Asus R7 250) check the picture of the box:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R72501GD5/#gallery

Hope it helped guys! :) 
m
0
l
June 15, 2014 8:30:05 AM

I was fine until I accidentally reset all bios settings to default, I have now been trying to get the pc the re-recognize my video card for over 6 hrs. I have a radeon hd6770 on an hp pavilion p7-1414 it shipped with win 8 but has win 7 on it now. I know the psu is good and powerfull enough (i swtiched it out) , when I turn on pc with the graphics card plugged in the pc will not show anything on the screen no matter where I have my dvi cable plugged in. Any solutions?
m
0
l
June 27, 2014 12:51:30 PM

tsnor said:
This is probably it: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156...

5) Set Secure Boot to disabled

6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.



Tsnor's detailed post saved us and our customer. Follow it, and it works beautifully. Used an Asus GT610 card w/2GB in HP system. Thank you again, forever grateful!
m
0
l
!