New build doesn't work (no POST beep, signal to monitor)

CBF-

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Okay, so I'm not sure what information is or isn't relevant and a lot happened, so I'll list in steps what happened.

!) Got everything hooked up, turned power on, pushed power button, all fans are spinning, hard drive is spinning, DVD drive is working, except GPU fan is not spinning and there's no beep.
2) GPU came with ysplit molex to 6pin so I used that. This time even less happened. All fans spun, stopped, spun again, and this just continued.
3) Next day, used the 6pin from PSU to connect to GPU in PCIe x16 slot. Pushed in all connections from PSU into sockets even tighter. All fans work now, including GPU fan. Still no POST beep and the monitor doesn't have a signal. PCIe x8 slot has the same result. Monitor only came with VGA cable so using a VGA to dvi adapter to connect to GPU.

Thoughts? Motherboard issue, GPU issue, both?

Case: CM Haf 912 (2 stock fans)
CPU: AMD Fx-6300
Heatsink/fan: CM 212+
GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 7850 (PCIe x16)
Memory: 8gb gskills ripjaws 1600
MB: Gigabyte 970a D3
PSU: Corsair CX500

CBF-

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Well, I pulled everything except the fan/HSF, booted, and there were no beeps. The CPU fan was spinning (does this indicate the PSU is not the problem?) but that's it.

What should I do now?

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I would say if the CPU fan is spinning, that'd reduce the chances of the PSU being the problem. I honestly don't know what direction to point you in. I posted more or less in the hopes somebody else would see it and help you. I don't know if it's possible for a mobo to be defective on arrival, though I would assume so, but that'd be my (rather inexperienced) guess.

TRENDING THREADS