Sign in with
Your question

Another windows 8 Shutdown issue

Last response: in Windows 8
February 2, 2013 3:56:04 PM

Hi I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm having issues shutting down my Laptop. Latitude E6500 running Windows 8. I've google'd possible solutions such as disabling the hybrid feature. Nothing seems to work so far.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm tired of shutting down with the power button.

More about : windows shutdown issue

a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 4:08:22 PM

Hi :) 

Go back to previous OS...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 10:29:14 AM

Rusty1020 said:
Hi I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm having issues shutting down my Laptop. Latitude E6500 running Windows 8. I've google'd possible solutions such as disabling the hybrid feature. Nothing seems to work so far.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm tired of shutting down with the power button.

Can you be a little more specific?
How are you currently shutting down the laptop?
What happens?
What do you expect to happen?

@Brett928S2 That isn't helpful.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 11:39:17 AM

kyllien said:
What happens?

Hi :) 

I sell laptops, I sell 8 , i KNOW that problem....

It IS HELPFUL....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 1:13:43 PM

-it is often faster to solve the problem in question than to just apply a generic workaround. (install old operating system).
- windows has a built in utility that will tell you why it is not shutting down.
run cmd.exe as a admin
powercfg.exe /energy

this will generate a report, it will indicated hardware issues and what software might block your sleep requests.

often it is just a media player that is sharing media that is blocking windows sleep requests. The fix is just a simple setting in the control panel power options for the shared media. A single check of the box is a lot better than doing a wipe of the machine and a reinstall of a older OS.

But please yourself.
m
l
February 3, 2013 7:38:20 PM

kyllien said:
What happens?

The issue is when I normally shut down/restart it will get stuck on the Shutting down/Restarting page.

Shut down via Mouse to top right of screen, select settings, select power and shutdown/restart.

I expect it to shut down/restart and not stay stuck on the shutting down/restarting screen for hours and hours.
m
l
February 3, 2013 8:06:22 PM

Still didn't work. But there are other errors given in that report as well
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 8:56:52 PM

I did not see anything in your log that should have blocked a shutdown request.
I would boot in safe mode and see if the system will shutdown correctly with the base OS. (this will exclude your BHDrvx86.sys Norton driver and your other various drivers)

it the safe mode OS will shutdown correctly then you would look at the other drivers that your normal boot enables. if the safe mode OS does not shutdown correctly, I would look to my BIOS (updates, or settings) and start looking at various hardware that is connected to my machine. (external thumb drives, external USB drives, and unplug them until I found the cause) Sometimes you will see a entry in the error logs that will indicate while a shutdown failed. For example, the OS writes something to the hard drive, using lazy writes, the hard drive has to flush the data to disk before the OS can shutdown. The hard drive tells the OS not to shut down until it is done writing its data but never sends the signal back to the OS that it is done. The OS waits forever or until it hit some timeout value. (5 mins) and tries again.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 8:58:04 PM

Try typing this into the command line and see if it takes a really long time to restart the system. If it restarts quickly, some background application or service is not closing properly and delaying the shutdown process when you use the Restart button in the Charms bar.

shutdown /r /t 0
m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 3, 2013 9:02:05 PM

you might also try: start cmd.exe as a admin
run
shutdown.exe /r /o

I am thinking if the safe boot will not shutdown, your problem will be in the BIOS and I would then look for the most up to date version to try and see if the problem goes away.

- you might also start disabling devices in device manager until you can get the shutdown to work. look for 3rd party card readers, non standard docking port drivers, things like that.

sorry, not the best help without physical access to your machine.
m
l
February 3, 2013 9:29:57 PM

Safe Mode works just fine. No matter what service I turn off or on.

m
l
a b * Windows 8
February 4, 2013 2:03:30 AM

cool, boot in normal mode, verify your core os files
via start cmd.exe as a admin
run sfc.exe /scannow
if that is ok then disable software and non standard hardware until you can do the shutdown correctly.
m
l
February 4, 2013 10:47:24 PM

johnbl said:
cool, boot in normal mode, verify your core os files
via start cmd.exe as a admin
run sfc.exe /scannow
if that is ok then disable software and non standard hardware until you can do the shutdown correctly.

Verification came out clean but cmd.exe stopped responding after that was complete so if there was any other tests it didn't do them.

m
l
!