Moving to AZ. Cox Cable. Need suggestions for modem/router

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hello and thanks for reading the post. In the past, I have always provided the router and the cable company provided the modem so I am confused as to what type of system I should be looking for. I will be getting their package, phone internet, tv and using what I think is called Premier at 27 mbs down.

So anyway, I'm not sure which way to go. They do offer equipment but I have been hearing that it is expensive for what you get. On the other hand, I have never seen a modem for sale at a Best Buy or Walmart. Maybe because in my area people don't use them. I guess I'm wondering if I should get a modem/router combo or should I buy the components separately? I had used Linksys for years but over the past 5 years or so I have had bad experiences especially if I needed support. Right now I am using an Apple router and it has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years. Problem is, this AZ is a vacation home for us and I won't be taking the router with me. That, and I will also need a modem so that won't help me much anyways.

While chatting with Cox online, they provided me a website: http://ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/internet/ultimate-internet.cox?campcode=ln_internet_ult_0329 that lists the compatible modems but that doesn't really tell me which work better or whether to use a modem/router or separate pieces. Any help would be most appreciated.