Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NEw build around 2000$

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 16, 2012 7:08:13 PM

I could use some help picking parts, could somebody please recommend a build based on my preferences?


Budget Range: $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Microsoft word, learn programming.

Are you buying a monitor: yes 2

Do you need to buy OS: No


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer newegg but it doesn't matter.

Location: U.S.A.

Parts Preferences: None really what ever you think is best.

Overclocking: Possibly.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 by 1200 (or 1080, or even more)

Additional Comments: I will be playing games like far cry 3, tf2, and planet side 2. Other than that the resolution isn't that important do what you think is best.

Why I Am Upgrading: New experience and I need a new computer so I figure I'll build it myself.
Thanks in advance. :D  :D 

More about : build 2000

December 16, 2012 7:30:07 PM

you could go with a 7970 but that would cost you 90 bucks more. to get 7970 performance, you could just overclock your 7950 to do so.

and it comes with far cry 3, sleeping dogs, and hitman absolution in the bundle
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 9:10:25 PM

well a 1920x1080p monitor is suffice

you said this

Are you buying a monitor: yes 2

so i assumed you are getting 2 monitors. either way the build can run it fine, just that 2 monitors dont make a ton of sense when you are gaming on both
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 12:59:01 AM

Do you need a case? PSU? Hard Drive? CD ROM/BluRay? Headphones/headsets that is are you an audiodude and need soundcard? Keyboard? Mouse? Mouse Pad? Do you want an SSD? If so is 120gigs big enough for you or will you want a 240-256gig? Sli/crossfire a must? You willing to go a bit over 2k or is that a hard cap. Do you have space for 27'' monitors? Do you have space for 32'' TV. Do you want 2 monitors or not? Seems unclear, I would recommend 1 display is 2 a requirement?
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:11:40 AM

Praxeology said:
Do you need a case? PSU? Hard Drive? CD ROM/BluRay? Headphones/headsets that is are you an audiodude and need soundcard? Keyboard? Mouse? Mouse Pad? Do you want an SSD? If so is 120gigs big enough for you or will you want a 240-256gig? Sli/crossfire a must? You willing to go a bit over 2k or is that a hard cap. Do you have space for 27'' monitors? Do you have space for 32'' TV. Do you want 2 monitors or not? Seems unclear, I would recommend 1 display is 2 a requirement?

Yes I need a case. No 2000 $ is not a hard cap. I dont need headsets nor sound card I need all those other things listed there. I need a mouse and keyboard. No mousepad.Blu ray no im not burning anything on a blu ray and im not gonna watch blu rays on my computer. Cd/dvd burner yea. Ssds are fine I could use tgat for the os and sime games any size would be sufficent. Hard drive yes. Sli/crossfire really doesn't matter to me. I have a lot of space for both a 27 inch abd a 32 inch tv so either would suffice. 2 monitors is fine but it is nit a neccesity.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:16:31 AM

Alright, if $2K isn't a hard cap, how much can you go over?
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:24:12 AM

In the meantime I set up a quick parts list for you. The expensive list is

CSE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SNK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MON: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x3

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 4x2

DAP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2 for power supply

System Spec:

ASUS P9X79 LE
Intel i7-3820
SLI Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC
256GB Samsung 840 SSD
NVIDIA Surround 23'' IPS Dell Displays

Total price: 2578.86


PS I just saw you answer my questions ty, Dexter episode 12 just came out on 1channel so I am gonna go watch that and I'll get back to work. Basically though, the big thing is does nvidia surround sound like something you want to do. Meaning 3 monitors synced for better vision/immersion. If you play a lot of BF3 then you might want it. If you play a lot of newer games like planetside 2 for instance, it might not be a good idea as it is buggy as sin or simply doesn't work. Personally I think the best set up would be to go with 1 graphics card which saves me some money to work with toward mechanical keyboard/good mouse / mouse pad, and drop the nvidia surround, spend the money for Samsung's 32'' 7,500,000 contrast ratio TV like I did, and enjoy vivid colors on the PC. Overall its personal preferance, and you have a lot of decisions. Let me know what you're thinking. If you use ts3 you can pop on and talk 1v1 @ tempestgc.typefrag.com:4516 or toss me an email @ lolhemad@hotmail.com for any other questions. Ways to bring price down is to swap that 2011 mobo for a 1155 and go with an i5. That brings price down like 200-250, then drop 100-150 bucks on a smaller 840 ssd. Anyway, dexter time!

m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:24:41 AM

BloodyDream3 said:
Alright, if $2K isn't a hard cap, how much can you go over?

Like 200-300 over. A little more if its required.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:34:16 AM
December 17, 2012 2:42:03 AM

Here's a dual monitor build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRNG

And a single monitor
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRPA

I don't know exactly what you want/need so these may not be perfect

The CPU Cooler is on sale, and at a really good price with the combo deal
The motherboard comes with 8GB of RAM for free. So that gives you 16 total.

I'd recommend only one monitor, it gives you more money to spend on GPUs
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 2:59:48 AM

BloodyDream3 said:
Here's a dual monitor build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRNG

And a single monitor
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRPA

I don't know exactly what you want/need so these may not be perfect

The CPU Cooler is on sale, and at a really good price with the combo deal
The motherboard comes with 8GB of RAM for free. So that gives you 16 total.

I'd recommend only one monitor, it gives you more money to spend on GPUs

Ill look at it tomorrow. Im in no rush plus im falling asleep. Thanks for all the help so far everyone :D  .
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 3:03:20 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRZG
This is around $2,500.
Definitely go with this CPU Cooler, better performance than the Hyper 212 Evo for the same price
Same deal as above with RAM
I don't see the need in 3 monitors, 2 is definitely enough.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 4:40:50 AM

BloodyDream3 said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sRZG
This is around $2,500.
Definitely go with this CPU Cooler, better performance than the Hyper 212 Evo for the same price
Same deal as above with RAM
I don't see the need in 3 monitors, 2 is definitely enough.


Well just looking at the setup it is an inferior build for more money. If you drop a monitor on my build it would be cheaper, and much better. That processor only supports dual channel memory, the ram is thus dual channel vs the quad on the 3820. None Corsair power supply just urks me but that's my fan boy. Those monitors could be better also. The only thing going for this build I think is the SLI 680s but in reality its pretty overkill. There really isn't much point in sli 680s when one is plenty, and even more when sli 670s are 300 bucks cheaper with a 5fps different @ best. I was just looking at benchmarks the other day and there is maybe a 5-10 fps different for a 150 dollar different, 300 with sli setup. Not worth it I think. Since the OP said he doesn't mind not going with an sli set up I am thinking of just getting a 4GB 680, and an HDTV. Later on when next gen comes out if his fps is getting >60 he can buy up another 680 when they are 300.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 6:15:45 AM

After a lot of research I finally found what, if I was building a computer right now, I'd buy assuming I have no current parts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Video Card GTX 670, Perfect reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 850 Gold PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... i7 3820

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... SSD 840 Pro Samsung 128GB, Windows, few games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 8GB of 2x4GB which is dual channel. Buy 2 sets and it should run in quad channel together. Definately buy 2, and set it up for quad channel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seagate 1TB HDD 7200, 64MB Cache

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Best mechanical keyboard on market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Solid Mouse that goes will with keyboard/mouse pad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... And mouse pad.

Keyboard is out of stock @ Newegg so amazon / best buys / walmart are always alternatives. Total price: $1,833.88

That leaves you roughly, 700-800 bucks for monitors in plural, video cards plural, Upgraded video card however realize the fps increase is very insignificant, or as I would do, get a http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32ES6500-32-Inch-1080p-... which would bring you up to 2533. Spend another 30-120 on your cpu cooler depending on how hard you plan on OC. I'd want an H100i and a 4.5+ clock, minimum. It's all up to you now, as I provided you with the parts to consider. I would really recommend that tv though. They are absolutely amazing in games and just in general because they are 32'' over the 27, have very nice built in speakers, and most importantly have an extremely high quality color production / contrast ratios. Not to mention its an upgrade to your tv and gaming experience all at the same time xD. If spending 697 on a monitor is too much for you then I would upgrade the case to a corsair 800D, grab the corsair 1200w platinum power supply, and 3 AF140s / 2 AF120s for the 800D case. That should tack on another 300 buckish? Bringing you to 2200 say. Grab a 27' IPS monitor for like 250-300 and a cpu cooler. That will future proof you for upgrades as you will have an amazing case with never a need to upgrade and an amazing PSU with a 7year warranty from Corsair though I doubt you'd need it. Both ways are good options but I am a sucker for a good screen. At any rate, GL and have fun building!

-Praxeology
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 9:46:18 AM

i have no idea why you guys would EVER recommend x79 for gaming. it performs no better than z77.

same goes for recommending 680s when a 670 performs the same and the 7970 performs better

the 840 pro has quite a few bios problems. stick with the 830. its not like you can even tell the difference between the 2 in real life

my build after i put in the keyboard and mouse. keyboard is made by filco, but a whole ton cheaper. use one of their models right now. the g700 is just a wireless version of the g500 from what i remember

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sTNr
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 10:19:09 AM

TheBigTroll said:
i have no idea why you guys would EVER recommend x79 for gaming. it performs no better than z77.

same goes for recommending 680s when a 670 performs the same and the 7970 performs better

the 840 pro has quite a few bios problems. stick with the 830. its not like you can even tell the difference between the 2 in real life

my build after i put in the keyboard and mouse. keyboard is made by filco, but a whole ton cheaper. use one of their models right now. the g700 is just a wireless version of the g500 from what i remember

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sTNr


840 Pro's bios are fine and have their 128gb model has an 84 percent 5 star rating. Going with an 830 is old tech, and Corsair's GS or GTX series smacks the 830s in the face. That's why Samsung came out with the 840s. I recommend 670s also however it will not perform the same as a 680. It is however close enough. And as far as the 7970 being > the end all be all I again will have to disagree. The difference in all of these cards performance depends on what games you play. NVIDIA optimizes a lot of new, very popular games and generally tend to run games better with NVIDIA's set ups, with BF3 being the classic example. How long did it take AMD to come up with drivers capable of matching the 670/80s. I would hardly say the 7970 is better. NVIDIA also wins hard core with their adaptive-vysnc. Micro-stuttering is a major issue in high-resolution set ups and by far 670>7970. The x79 build is 50 dollars more except it provides future possibilities with quad channel ram, 2011 socket for ivy-e and the fact that it can run x16 x16 vs the x8x8. There is no reason to go with a z77 build to save 100 bucks when you have a 2k+ budget. 2011 socket/x79 board is the better buy, by far despite how many posts suggest the i5/z77 approach. Both work fine, but one is better. Pay the extra cash and thank yourself in the future.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 3:13:16 PM

metro 20333: nvidia: the way it is meant to be played = plays better on a amd card

doubt it. in the end you dont see a difference. note that a 830 256gb goes for 170 dollars. a gs or gtx goes for around 200-240. you are paying 80 bucks for a not even noticeable difference in speed

a 2k budget doesnt mean you have to spend 2k. i would save my money if possible when i know you dont get a good performance gain.

whats the point of upgrading a chip after a year from the inital purchase? sure the 10% might be a big deal to some people who use it for workstation tasks that make money, but what benefits does it bring to the average gamer?

the bandwdth provided by pci-e 3.0 8x is more than enough for a modern day gpu. what makes 16x perform so much better when you cant even use 8x properly. it is very important in a compute application but not in gaming
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 7:36:21 PM

Did you just say that a 7970 outperforms a 680? What kind of drugs are you on?
Also the 840 Pro is almost flawless
But an X79 being recommended is a little stupid.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 7:52:23 PM

Praxeology said:
Well just looking at the setup it is an inferior build for more money. If you drop a monitor on my build it would be cheaper, and much better. That processor only supports dual channel memory, the ram is thus dual channel vs the quad on the 3820. None Corsair power supply just urks me but that's my fan boy. Those monitors could be better also. The only thing going for this build I think is the SLI 680s but in reality its pretty overkill. There really isn't much point in sli 680s when one is plenty, and even more when sli 670s are 300 bucks cheaper with a 5fps different @ best. I was just looking at benchmarks the other day and there is maybe a 5-10 fps different for a 150 dollar different, 300 with sli setup. Not worth it I think. Since the OP said he doesn't mind not going with an sli set up I am thinking of just getting a 4GB 680, and an HDTV. Later on when next gen comes out if his fps is getting >60 he can buy up another 680 when they are 300.


He's building a gaming PC for over $ 2,000 and your saying not to go with SLI? Are you crazy? Also, 2011 and Quad-Channel RAM is completely unnecessary. So, you have more RAM sticks than I do, but it's inferior RAM. The PSU that I put is from the brand that makes Corsairs, so it's just as good if not better. The CPU Cooler that I chose is also much better than yours, for the same price. 680s are overkill, but they're better. I'm still shocked that you recommended an 2011 for a $2,500 gaming build, over dual 680s. 2011 has no advantage whatsoever. If you're going to pay $300 for a CPU, then get a 3770K which has better performance overall. But if you're going to recommend a 2011, at least throw the best performing motherboard in too. Anyway, the 3820 is awful for gaming. It even gets beaten by the old 2500K.
http://www.techspot.com/review/492-intel-core-i7-3820/p...
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 9:03:11 PM

BloodyDream3 said:
He's building a gaming PC for over $ 2,000 and your saying not to go with SLI? Are you crazy? Also, 2011 and Quad-Channel RAM is completely unnecessary. So, you have more RAM sticks than I do, but it's inferior RAM. The PSU that I put is from the brand that makes Corsairs, so it's just as good if not better. The CPU Cooler that I chose is also much better than yours, for the same price. 680s are overkill, but they're better. I'm still shocked that you recommended an 2011 for a $2,500 gaming build, over dual 680s. 2011 has no advantage whatsoever. If you're going to pay $300 for a CPU, then get a 3770K which has better performance overall. But if you're going to recommend a 2011, at least throw the best performing motherboard in too. Anyway, the 3820 is awful for gaming. It even gets beaten by the old 2500K.
http://www.techspot.com/review/492-intel-core-i7-3820/p...


I gave 2 options. Option 1, SLI 670s with a 2011, i7 3820 and the Haf case, along with an nvidia surround dell 23'' ips display setup, for 2500. The second setup, after he said I dont mind if it is not sli focuses on cramming HDTV in there to make the gaming experience amazing. Either way its his choice, and either way SLI is also his choice. I would recommend getting a great 32'' monitor and a 670 because it is all you need, and can very easily be expanded later. SLI 680s is like taking 300 dollars, and lighting them on fire. SLI 670s does the same thing, with a 5 fps different but 300 dollars in the pocket. And this whole z79 build is dumb... Is dumb... Same priced processor with motherboards that 230 vs 150? Why would you go with a z77 set up for 70 bucks. Makes no sense. Coolers are irrelevant they all get the job done just fine. Most important thing regarding my 2 cents is that its a z79 with an i7 3820, and if sli, sli 670s. As far as the keyboards go, get that gigabyte keyboard as a must, the mouse is optional though after research i'd go with that also. The g600 isn't a good look with poor newegg ratings and lol razer. As far as im concerned this thread is /closed, we have all ranges of opinion in here now.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 9:15:29 PM

TheBigTroll said:
metro 20333: nvidia: the way it is meant to be played = plays better on a amd card

doubt it. in the end you dont see a difference. note that a 830 256gb goes for 170 dollars. a gs or gtx goes for around 200-240. you are paying 80 bucks for a not even noticeable difference in speed

a 2k budget doesnt mean you have to spend 2k. i would save my money if possible when i know you dont get a good performance gain.

whats the point of upgrading a chip after a year from the inital purchase? sure the 10% might be a big deal to some people who use it for workstation tasks that make money, but what benefits does it bring to the average gamer?

the bandwdth provided by pci-e 3.0 8x is more than enough for a modern day gpu. what makes 16x perform so much better when you cant even use 8x properly. it is very important in a compute application but not in gaming


What makes it "better," is that the mobo is 240 bucks compared to say a 150-200 mobo on z77 build. For 90-40 bucks more, buy it and future proof yourself. Why tell someone get old tech? As far as processors are concerned the 3820 is the better processor for the same price and the 2011 chipset provides once again, for future upgrades 3-5 years from now. If the price is right, and it indeed is there is no reason to go for a z77 build. If this stuff was 100-200 dollar different you might have a point but it isn't. Don't nerf your self 2 gens down the line on video cards.

The GS series is 199.99 and the GTX is 229.99. Always the need to exaggerate in threads like this I suppose. At any rate its the same argument why buy old tech, for a 30 dollar different. If you want to avoid the 840, which is a silly idea as it is the best and works flawlessly, then you would downgrade to either the GS or GTX.

And as far as the 680 < 7970, you are right the 7970 performs better in SOME games, and the 680 in OTHER games. The question comes down to which games do you play. Personally I like AMD cards but I don't like their drivers and how the market chooses NVIDIA. You cite metro 2033 as an example where 7970>680. Well ya, but 5-10 fps? Big woops you're still running 90 fps, or 86 with a 670*the smart choice.* Take another example, batman when it launched was utter trash on 7970s. Not because the 7970 isn't better hardware it is, but because of the way the games are usually propped toward NVIDIA. If you want a more balanced, better software related, insert adaptive vsync here, card NVIDIA is the better buy and will tend to run higher fps in games. If you cant stand the fact that the hardware is usually behind AMD then go 7970 balls to the wall. Either way you're golden!
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 10:09:29 PM

um sorry. the i5 3570k is NEWER.

as i always say, futureproofing isnt possible. id like to see you build a rig for 10k and then see how it will compare to a build 5 years later for 1.3k and let it get smoked. sure you can upgrade the CPU, but then it would be pointless since you then have to upgrade the GPU, which in the end costs the same money as getting a new rig

i find adaptive vsync unimportant. i have a 670 and i dont use it. no problems
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 12:21:35 AM

TheBigTroll said:
um sorry. the i5 3570k is NEWER.

as i always say, futureproofing isnt possible. id like to see you build a rig for 10k and then see how it will compare to a build 5 years later for 1.3k and let it get smoked. sure you can upgrade the CPU, but then it would be pointless since you then have to upgrade the GPU, which in the end costs the same money as getting a new rig

i find adaptive vsync unimportant. i have a 670 and i dont use it. no problems


I don't need 10k, I need 4k. And 5 years later I would smoke a 1.3k build. Absolutely positively. i5 3570k is new yes, but it is contains old tech specs. As do all the Ivy bridge 1155 processors. So its new, but its old. The 3820 is new with better tech specs @ quad channel support, and 10mb cache. I believe adaptive vysnc on your 670 isn't useful because you are not running an nvidia surround setup. At high resolutions micro-stuttering becomes a major issue and nvidia's adaptive vsync handles it very well. At any rate we will have to simply agree to disagree xD. Best regards,

-Praxeology
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 1:25:34 AM

I'm done. I refuse to argue with someone who just said that it's better to get a 3820 for $300 over a 3570K, which is better, for $200.
m
0
l
!