Sign in with
Your question

Help! Entire Folder suddenly disappear

Last response: in Windows 7
February 28, 2012 1:07:27 PM

My folder under C:/Users/ProfileName suddenly disappear when I tried to back it up.

I tried every possible way to find the folder or the files in it again but no luck. Basically the folders are GONE(VANISHED). I tried to search the files name but there is nothing on my computer.

I have tried to change the Folder view option in Control Panel to show hidden files, no luck.

I tried all sort of Recovery Tools but no luck, the problem is that none of them are detecting the files as deleted. So I am not sure how can I restore them if they are not found as deleted at first place.

When I try to search for a file name like I had an article named "beforeafter.ppt" I get results in my Explorer but they are not actual files but rather Type: Shortcut in the folder/Recent.

I only have 1 user profile which is the administrator as well and no virus too as far as I know.

I am desperately looking for help to retrieve it back as it is my 1 year project data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks before hand.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2012 1:47:27 PM

Lim3lit3 said:
My folder under C:/Users/ProfileName suddenly disappear when I tried to back it up.

I tried every possible way to find the folder or the files in it again but no luck. Basically the folders are GONE(VANISHED). I tried to search the files name but there is nothing on my computer.

I have tried to change the Folder view option in Control Panel to show hidden files, no luck.

I tried all sort of Recovery Tools but no luck, the problem is that none of them are detecting the files as deleted. So I am not sure how can I restore them if they are not found as deleted at first place.

When I try to search for a file name like I had an article named "beforeafter.ppt" I get results in my Explorer but they are not actual files but rather Type: Shortcut in the folder/Recent.

I only have 1 user profile which is the administrator as well and no virus too as far as I know.

I am desperately looking for help to retrieve it back as it is my 1 year project data.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks before hand.

Can you find them in the recycle bin to restore ?
Have you tried a Windows Restore to date when you had them ?
February 29, 2012 1:29:56 AM

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I've just checked my windows restore but the available restore points don't have this missing folder as the folderwas created on february and the 3 points that I have are of last year and yesterday only.
Is this normal?

It is not in recycle bin either.

This whole issue is so confusing as it just doesnt make any sense to have the whole folder gone missing without trace!
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 29, 2012 3:41:41 AM

Lim3lit3 said:
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I've just checked my windows restore but the available restore points don't have this missing folder as the folderwas created on february and the 3 points that I have are of last year and yesterday only.
Is this normal?

It is not in recycle bin either.

This whole issue is so confusing as it just doesnt make any sense to have the whole folder gone missing without trace!

Windows System Restore is flaky:
Read these posts,
http://www.tech.slashdot.org/story/10/05/02/0041249/Win...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

and, here are a few more.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Win7+when+are+restore+poin...

Personally, I have used a 3rd party (ERUNT) since the days of XP, and the reason for doing so, is that it gives a more complete backup of the registry hives than Windows provides. There is another APP mentioned in one of the above posts.
folder c:\windows\erunt contains all the backups and will continue to grow, so I go in every now and then, delete some entries

Missing Profile: Hope you find some help here.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=win7+missing+Users+Profile...
!