CX 430 v1 enough for GTX 660 non-ti?

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I read somewhere that 2 GTX 660 non-tis would consume around 280 watts in SLI. Does this mean that the 400 watts power supply would be enough to power an OC PNY GTX 660, a i5 3330, 2 case fans and 1 HDD?

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks a lot

Right now I just want to get rid of my TR600w which I got in a bundle with a GTX 550 ti for less than 150 at BestBuy (Black Friday Sale). It works fine but I'd rather not keep around a PSU with so many complaints. Most customer reviews say it worked fine for them until a year passed and mine is gonna be 1 year old soon.

Do you think that after 1 year of use the CX430 would still be strong enough to power a GTX 660? I play at 144x900 so the GTX 550 is more than enough for my current needs, and since the GTX 660 is twice as powerful and still uses just 1 pciex6 connection, I consider it the ideal upgrade once my current card starts feeling sluggish.

I was also wondering if overclocking my PNY XL8 550 ti would be a good idea with a 400 watts PSU. The only reason I haven't overclocked it already is because I don't trust enough my Thermaltake PSU.

boyabunda

Honorable
May 22, 2012
The CX 430 is plenty for a 660 unless your CPU is an FX-8150 at around 5GHz or you have some other extremely power-consuming components such as ten high RPM hard drives.

Basically, the CX 430 should be quite ideal for your system, although I'd probably prefer an Antec EarthWatts 430.

I highly doubt that. It'd be truly cutting it close, but that PSU can probably handle 660 SLI with such a system. I wouldn't recommend doing that with the CX 430 because it would be straining it, but it probably wouldn't even be maxing out the PSU, let alone pushing it beyond maximum. It's hurt efficiency and probably cause premature failure, but I'd expect at least one or two years of run time and I wouldn't expect it to blow up when it fails. That usually only happens to junk quality PSUs such as DiabloTec and RAIDMax.

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Do TR2 blow up as well? I was thinking of keeping mine until the fan started making too much noise. It's a 600w PSU with 74% efficiency so I'd like to think that my system wouldn't put too much strain on it even if it only had 450-500 real watts.

Right now it's silent and has yet to start faling, so I think I should be fine until better PSUs show up in the online store I buy from.

That's a decent PSU too, but thost two things that you said were the exact two reasons for why I suggested the EarthWatts 430 instead of the VP450.

Possibly. I definitely wouldn't trust it myself, but I've been accused of being overly cautious before.

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Well, Jonny said that the reason it lacks 80 plus it's because of PFC being enforced in the EU market. In the tests it managed to get up to 84% performance.

Anyway, isn't PCF something only companies should care about?

That is true on the first paragraph AFAIK, but I wouldn't go so far in the second. PFC can be helpful for some things. Like I said, it's a decent PSU model, but it's simply not the way that I'd go.

PFC increases consistent power efficiency. Not having it doesn't seem to hurt maximum efficiency, but I can bet that it most certainly does hurt average efficiency across more than a few loads. Having it also seems to improve stability in my experience, especially with overclocking, but I admit that it might be a placebo effect thing because I haven't done a thorough comparison.

I fail to see how an Antec EarthWatts 430 is garbage. Like I said, I recommend it over the CX 430. Furthermore, if you want to recommend a higher end PSU, then sure, do so, that's not what I complained about with your recommendation. What I don't agree with your recommendation is how high you're going in the power delivery.

EDIT: A better $55 recommenation would probably be something like this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1450sx2b9

XFX ProSeries 450W

Antec EarthWatts 430 is not bad and take a chill pill i just was saying i can't recommend CX 430 it's garbage.