New Build Woes w/ Asus P9X79 Deluxe

So I made the mistake of falling for the Asus P9X79 Deluxe back in September, and as of now (December), I have yet to have a functional PC using this board. I am absolutely, totally, at a loss as to what the problem could be!

Build Detail:
Board: Asus P9X79 Deluxe (RMA'd x2)
Chip: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz (RMA 'd x2)
Cooling: Corsair H100
Power: CoolerMaster 1200W Pro 80 Gold (RMA'd x2)
RAM: 1st Try: 16GB of Corsair Vengence - 2nd Try: 16GB of GSkill Ripjaws Z
Vid: EVGA GeForce GTX670
Boot Drive: Intel 520 SSD 240GB
Data Drive: Hitachi SATA 6gbs 2TB HDD
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

So on the first power-on, my system actually "did" show video & attempt to POST. It got about 1-min in & shutdown on it's own ... never to boot again. So I did all the typical system checks, ending with a bare bench test ... nothing. All the system would do is run in a continuous loop of spinning the fans for a second & flickering some LED's.

2nd board shows up from Asus; it was missing a heatsing lug out of the box ... so right back it went (no system test with this board).

3rd board shows up from Asus & looked good, so into the build it goes. Still, I get the exact same results ... "00" Q-Code, no beeps, a solid red CPU_LED, and NO POST. Yep, I even updated the BIOS.

A call back to Asus results in the attention now being on the CPU (Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz). So it get's RMA'd. New one arrives brand new in the box, install it, & same result.

Next call back to Asus results in the Power Supply being the focus (CoolerMaster 1200W Pro 80 Gold) ... even though my Thermaltake PS Tester says it's A-OK. So, I RMA the Power Supply. New one arrives, install it, & same result.

Call back to Asus results in yet another RMA for the board ...
9 answers Last reply
More about build woes asus p9x79 deluxe
  1. Hi, Try buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one.
    In US, from ASUS eStore, or from ebay.
  2. alexoiu said:
    Hi, Try buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one.
    In US, from ASUS eStore, or from ebay.

Yep ... I thought of that, but what's wierd is that I've been able to successfully update both boards so far to the latest BIOS via the on-board flash utility.

I'd suspect that if the board was capable of updating its BIOS, then the chip would be OK?
  3. You can't be sure that the BIOS was successfully updated. That's why I suggested replacing it.
    What was the original version (last separate 4 digits on a sticker with a barcode on the motherboard) ?
  4. alexoiu said:
    You can't be sure that the BIOS was successfully updated. That's why I suggested replacing it.
    What was the original version (last separate 4 digits on a sticker with a barcode on the motherboard) ?

Per the sticker, it was shipped w/ BIOS Version 2002. I updated it to Version 3009.

I just noticed Version 3203 is out now ...

Your right, I can't be sure that it updated. All I can say is that it appeared to process the update properly.
  5. have you tried building the system outside the case with one ram stick and a know good power supply. you could have had a bad power supply and is zap the system so you could have a bad mb..cpu and video card. or the mb is shorted to the case. i would also check the bottom of both cpu and the mb slots for bent pins. one of the boards could have has a bent pin and shorted out your cpu.
  6. smorizio said:
    have you tried building the system outside the case with one ram stick and a know good power supply. you could have had a bad power supply and is zap the system so you could have a bad mb..cpu and video card. or the mb is shorted to the case. i would also check the bottom of both cpu and the mb slots for bent pins. one of the boards could have has a bent pin and shorted out your cpu.

Yes ... I've checked all of this ... 2-3 times over.

I received another RMA board from ASUS last week, and still the same result.

So Far I’ve tried 3-Boards, 2-Processors, 2-Sets of Memory (Corsair Vengeance, and now Gskill Ripjawz), & 3-Power Supplies. Tested, both in the case (Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced) & outside of the case (breadboard style). The only thing I haven't swapped that still touches this system is the Corsair H100 ... but I've pretty well ruled out any shenanigans that it could cause too.

I even purchased a new #3203 BIOS chip to assure that I would test with the latest BIOS.

I'm absolutely stumped ....
  7. Is there a case speaker (beeper) attached to the motherboard?
  8. alexoiu said:
    Is there a case speaker (beeper) attached to the motherboard?

Yes, I do install the case speaker ... it's a standard one that comes with the HAF 932 Case.

It's nevver made a peep except for the very first build when the system actually "tried" to POST. It let out a series of beeps before it shutdown. Since then, all components have been replaced except the PC Speaker & heatsink.

Do you think the speaker could be shorting the board? (I'v tried the build at-least once w/o the speaker)
  9. Try starting the board outside the case, only CPU and CPU fan installed, speaker, 24 and 8-pin power cables connected. Start the board by shortly connecting together the 2 pins corresponding to the power switch. Like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d_56kyib-Ls#t=1281s
    If the CPU fan is spinning and no beeps from the speaker then it's either a board or a CPU issue.
    Testing the components at a local shop would be also an option in your case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Asus Systems