Graphics Card just exploded and turned into gooey substance?

bolverk

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Okay, that thread title was just to get people to read this. PLEASE don't leave though. I need help. So much help.

I'm building my first computer and need some help picking out a few parts. Here is my build so far (and no, this is not a gaming computer):

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge

RAM (16GB): G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Alright so I still need a case, a power supply, and a graphics card. Here is what I'm thinking of getting, but I'm not sure if they are the best choices:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130827

PSU: I have no idea

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to figure it out soon because many of the parts are Christmas presents. Thanks!

P.S. I will be doing much video and photo-editing on this computer. Also, I'll be a computer science major next semester so I presume I'll doing a lot of programming, as well.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
You have a whole lot of CPU power and comparatively little graphics card power.

If you intend to use this rig primarily for gaming, get an i5 and put the money you save toward a better graphics card.

Once you nail down the video card, we can look at PSU's. (Although you will probably be fine with any reputable 500w PSU unless you intend to SLI/crossfire down the road.)

Is gaming going to be a concern on this rig?
Just that if its purely for Video/Photo editing then you dont need a GPU at all. The $100 your sinking into that could go toward another 8GB of RAM and a larger SSD. Which will more directly boost performance.

Are you overclocking? Just that if you arent, you can save yourself a bit of cash.

Since im guessing that money is low, heres a fairly good budget PSU that should hold the system as its stands.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

bolverk

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
@manofchalk

Gaming isn't a concern. But, are you sure I don't need any graphics card at all? Because everyone says the CPU HD graphics suck and that I would definitely need a graphics card for video and photo-editing. I've seen people say Adobe software is much better with a graphics card, as well (I usually use Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects)

The Nvidia graphics card can help since you can harness it for CUDA in Adobe applications, but it isn't a big concern. The additional RAM will help more than the CUDA will.
While I agree that integrated graphics doesn't compare to even cheap graphics cards, if your not gaming it doesn't matter.

1) a little on Quick syn: Quote
Quick sync has been praised for being very fast.[1] A benchmark from Tom's Hardware showed that it could encode a 449 MB 4 minute 1080p file to 1024×768 in 22 seconds. The same encoding using only software took 172 seconds. The same encoding took 83 or 86 seconds GPU-assisted, using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 and a AMD Radeon HD 6870 respectively, both of which are contemporary high end GPUs.[2] Unlike video encoding on a general-purpose GPU, Quick Sync is an application-specific integrated circuit. This allows for faster and more power efficient video processing.[3] [4]

Quick Sync, like other hardware accelerated video encoding technologies, gives lower quality results than with CPU only encoders. Speed is prioritized over quality.
End quote.
and from anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/8

Bare In mind after Build, if you find you need/want a dGPU - NO problem simple to add in at a later point.
If video work is your bag, have to aggree on upping CPU. SSD - your option (increasing size) as programs will not run faster and Only files on the SSD will benifit.