NEF RAW Photoshop... What?

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 18, 2005 4:53:54 PM

I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
that post here use NEF (RAW).

Thanks!

Avery

More about : nef raw photoshop

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:43:53 PM

Photoshop 7 doesn't support RAW files. I believe you have to upgrade to
Photoshop CS2 to get Adobe RAW Converter. The upgrade is $149 in the
US. ARC was available solo for V7 for awile may still be. Worth a check
on Adobe's web site.
BTW opening a RAW file is far more complex than opening a standard
file.

Tom
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:49:23 PM

CURSES! Foiled Again!!! Why does everything always have to "upgrade" to
work. ;-( Thanks for the quick replies all, Photoshop CS here I come...
Maybe I can get work to buy it for me. ;-) (fingers crossed)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 18, 2005 8:38:47 PM

I would suggest as an alternative to use the Nikon Capture software. I
find it does a BETTER job than Adobe and integrates very well with
Photoshop.

JR
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:43:27 PM

Avery wrote:

> I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
> thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
> the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
> I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
> that post here use NEF (RAW).

Go to the Adobe sight and get the RAW plugin that corresponds to the
D70. (Assuming there's one for PS 7)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:36:51 PM

On 18 May 2005 13:49:23 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Avery"
<avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote:

>CURSES! Foiled Again!!! Why does everything always have to "upgrade" to
>work. ;-( Thanks for the quick replies all, Photoshop CS here I come...
>Maybe I can get work to buy it for me. ;-) (fingers crossed)

Actually, as a start you can use the plugin that is on the PictureProject
disk of software that can with the camera. It only gives you limited
control over the conversion process though.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
May 19, 2005 12:39:42 AM

On 18 May 2005 12:53:54 -0700, "Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net>
wrote:

>I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
>thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
>the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
>I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
>that post here use NEF (RAW).

It does with the updated RAW importer. I'm guessing you are on an
older version than CS2. :-)

Go to Adobe's site and download it.

Depending on your OS etc, this may or may not be the right starting
place....

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?prod...

Find the appropriate 'Camera RAW update' for you...

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:39:42 GMT, Owamanga
<owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 18 May 2005 12:53:54 -0700, "Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1

Agh!, sorry, I didn't read your post properly, looking at the Adobe
page, 7.01 looks too old...

Time to upgrade.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

On 18 May 2005 13:49:23 -0700, "Avery" <avery@ramblingsnail.net>
wrote:

>CURSES! Foiled Again!!! Why does everything always have to "upgrade" to
>work. ;-( Thanks for the quick replies all, Photoshop CS here I come...
>Maybe I can get work to buy it for me. ;-) (fingers crossed)

....or use one of the various free RAW converters. (You'll soon get
tired of a non-integrated workflow though...) The Adobe one is very
nice, much better than Nikon's attempt.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

"tomm101" <monego@valley.net> wrote:

>Photoshop 7 doesn't support RAW files. I believe you have to upgrade to
>Photoshop CS2 to get Adobe RAW Converter. The upgrade is $149 in the
>US. ARC was available solo for V7 for awile may still be. Worth a check
>on Adobe's web site.
>BTW opening a RAW file is far more complex than opening a standard
>file.

No. I've got PS7.01 and I open RAW files all the time. But you do
have to have either Nikon Capture, Nikon View or Nikon Picture Project
installed to get the Nikon plugin to do this.

Scott Peterson

--
This message transmitted on 100
percent recycled electrons.

219/612
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:17:54 AM

> Avery wrote:
>
>> I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
>> thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
>> the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
>> I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
>> that post here use NEF (RAW).
>
> Go to the Adobe sight and get the RAW plugin that corresponds to the
> D70. (Assuming there's one for PS 7)

There isn't and there never will be.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:17:09 AM

In article <1116446034.188020.109540@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Avery <avery@ramblingsnail.net> wrote:
>I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
>thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
>the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
>I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
>that post here use NEF (RAW).

Well ... I just checked, and the unix "dcraw" still knows how to
convert the NEF to whatever I need.

However -- note that the "Software: " entry (as shown by
"exiftool" has changed from 1.03 to 2.00, which might be what is
confusing Photoshop.

Enjoy,
DoN.
May 19, 2005 12:00:42 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:43:53 -0700, tomm101 wrote:

> Photoshop 7 doesn't support RAW files. I believe you have to upgrade to
> Photoshop CS2 to get Adobe RAW Converter. The upgrade is $149 in the US.
> ARC was available solo for V7 for awile may still be. Worth a check on
> Adobe's web site.
> BTW opening a RAW file is far more complex than opening a standard file.
>
> Tom

Well that's weird. My PS version 7.0 opens NEF files without a problem. I
get to adjust exposure and white balance without using Nikon Capture. I
don't recall buying any plug-in to do this. Have I got something by Adobe
or something 3rd party? How can I tell?

--
"I'm here to make pictures, not friends."

~ Chris Buck
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:19:02 PM

"Roxy d'Urban" <not@home.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.19.06.00.39.699000@home.com...
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:43:53 -0700, tomm101 wrote:
>
>> Photoshop 7 doesn't support RAW files. I believe you have to upgrade to
>> Photoshop CS2 to get Adobe RAW Converter. The upgrade is $149 in the US.
>> ARC was available solo for V7 for awile may still be. Worth a check on
>> Adobe's web site.
>> BTW opening a RAW file is far more complex than opening a standard file.
>>
>> Tom
>
> Well that's weird. My PS version 7.0 opens NEF files without a problem. I
> get to adjust exposure and white balance without using Nikon Capture. I
> don't recall buying any plug-in to do this. Have I got something by Adobe
> or something 3rd party? How can I tell?
>
> --
> "I'm here to make pictures, not friends."
> ~ Chris Buck

I assume at some point you installed either Nikon View or Nikon
PictureProject? If so, it's NIKON's plug-in you're using which is vastly
inferior to Adobe's Capture Raw. Works, but not with the same amount of
control.

Tom
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:26:08 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:38:47 -0700, JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

>I would suggest as an alternative to use the Nikon Capture software. I
>find it does a BETTER job than Adobe and integrates very well with
>Photoshop.

I, and the vast majority who've used both, completely disagree with
that statement. Do you have some specific reason to hold this opinion?

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> Bubbabob wrote:
>

>> There isn't and there never will be.
>
> As I belatedly discovered. I can hear the cash register at Adobe ringing.

Nikon wants $100 for a full license of Nikon Capture! That sort of
thing should be free considering the cost of the camera. No, I will
stick with my Adobe workflow for the time being. I still intend to see
how Microsoft's solution does, as it is both cheap, but appears to be
rather feature rich.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
May 19, 2005 6:18:30 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>>As I belatedly discovered. I can hear the cash register at Adobe ringing.
>
> Nikon wants $100 for a full license of Nikon Capture! That sort of
> thing should be free considering the cost of the camera. No, I will
> stick with my Adobe workflow for the time being. I still intend to see
> how Microsoft's solution does, as it is both cheap, but appears to be
> rather feature rich.

I meant that in the context that there is no valid reason for Adobe to
not release a plugin that works with PS 7. Well, I suppose more money
is a valid reason.

I do agree that Nikon are being total A-holes regarding N-capture, esp.
in the context of encroaching encryption of information components.

These are things to watch carefully. As photographic equipment
companies have discovered, they are now in the information technology
business and they have the notion that that is a revenue bearing activity.

It used to be that the camera OEM's only had to deliver an image to a
piece of film. Hopefully, with the cooperation of the photographer, the
image would be properly composed, focused and exposed. After that, what
happens to the film is out of the OEM's hands.

With digital they have the opportunity to be be part of the value chain
for longer after the shutter is depressed. $$$

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:24:16 PM

Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> writes:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > Avery wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using a D70 with the new firmware... I also have Phoshop 7.0.1 and
> >> thought I'd give RAW a try. However Photoshop doesn't seem to recognige
> >> the NEF file? Is that right? I'll take this question to a Photoshop if
> >> I need to, but I thought I'd ask seeing as how so many of the folks
> >> that post here use NEF (RAW).
> >
> > Go to the Adobe sight and get the RAW plugin that corresponds to the
> > D70. (Assuming there's one for PS 7)
> >

> There isn't and there never will be.

The Camera Raw plugin (version 1.0) was originally offered as an
extra-cost add-on to Photoshop 7.
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/319291.html&gt;.

Unfortunately, 1.0 is too old to support the D70, however. And Adobe
isn't about to sell it to you, anyway. If you try to get it from the
Adobe site, you will be redirected to the DNG converter.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
May 19, 2005 9:13:02 PM

Roxy d'Urban <not@home.com> wrote:

> Well that's weird. My PS version 7.0 opens NEF files without a problem. I
> get to adjust exposure and white balance without using Nikon Capture. I
> don't recall buying any plug-in to do this. Have I got something by Adobe
> or something 3rd party? How can I tell?

It's Nikon's plug-in. Adjusting exposure and white balance is just the
beginning of what the *real* software can do.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Owamanga wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:38:47 -0700, JR <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>I would suggest as an alternative to use the Nikon Capture software. I
>>find it does a BETTER job than Adobe and integrates very well with
>>Photoshop.
>

> I, and the vast majority who've used both, completely disagree with
> that statement. Do you have some specific reason to hold this opinion?

I had read and seen with my own eyes that the color rendition is a bit
better and the older version of adobe's plugin didn't have curves but
Capture is dog slow in comparison & the new adobe plugin sounds awesome
with curves & more.

Another option is the "light" version of photoshop with I think the same
plugin or nearly & very affordable.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Avery wrote:
> CURSES! Foiled Again!!! Why does everything always have to "upgrade" to
> work. ;-( Thanks for the quick replies all, Photoshop CS here I come...
> Maybe I can get work to buy it for me. ;-) (fingers crossed)

I am probably getting tiresome with this, but do take a look at UFraw.
It is free - and works extremely well. Upgrades to UF raw are expected
to be included in the original purchase price.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:29:23 AM

Hello everyone,
All I had to do to use Photoshop 7 with NEF Files is to copy two files to
the adobe folder......
"Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\FileFormats"
my path ..
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
these are .......
"Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi"
and
"Nikon YCC TIFF.8BI"
these came from .......
"C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject"
on my system and were obtained from the installation of the software from
Nikon which came with the camera.
HTH
Good luck
Norm.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:04:16 PM

N. Joy <Any2@jfdi.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> All I had to do to use Photoshop 7 with NEF Files is to copy two files to
> the adobe folder......
> "Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\FileFormats"
> my path ..
> C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
> these are .......
> "Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi"
> and
> "Nikon YCC TIFF.8BI"
> these came from .......
> "C:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject"
> on my system and were obtained from the installation of the software from
> Nikon which came with the camera.
> HTH
> Good luck
> Norm.

This is the Nikon supplied Plugin. While it does work, it is EXREMELY
limitted in capability. You will find the Photoshop version to be a
much nicer product.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
June 12, 2005 4:54:30 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:43:31 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
>> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>>As I belatedly discovered. I can hear the cash register at Adobe ringing.
>>
>> Nikon wants $100 for a full license of Nikon Capture! That sort of
>> thing should be free considering the cost of the camera. No, I will
>> stick with my Adobe workflow for the time being. I still intend to see
>> how Microsoft's solution does, as it is both cheap, but appears to be
>> rather feature rich.
>
>I meant that in the context that there is no valid reason for Adobe to
>not release a plugin that works with PS 7. Well, I suppose more money
>is a valid reason.

Except that the "received wisdom" in the software business is that you
don't do updates for a product several major releases back. Besides,
new "features" such as support for Nikon RAW, is what drives a lot of
$$$ new releases.

You want patches for the latest security bugs in Windows. If you're
using Windows 2000, then you're going to wait a long time. XP, no
problemo (if you have a legit copy, of course.)

So, going on a bit of a tangent here, when people start to use the
64-bit version of Windows, a lot of them are going to be verrrry upset
when they find that there is no driver for their 4-year old scanner or
high-end video card.

>I do agree that Nikon are being total A-holes regarding N-capture, esp.
>in the context of encroaching encryption of information components.

Totally! Completely against the common sense of the software
business. Most companies would be kissing Adobe's you-know-what to
make sure that support for their latest whatever-it-is is in
Photoshop. No Photoshop support means way less sales. Those guys in
Nikon HQ, they must have been living under a rock since Jerry Ford was
president.

>These are things to watch carefully. As photographic equipment
>companies have discovered, they are now in the information technology
>business and they have the notion that that is a revenue bearing activity.

Yea, and the thing about information technology is, you can't go it
all by yourself. All kinds of people are suddenly your "strategic
partners.: Tech companies form all kinds of "strategic alliances" as
if most customers really cared about that. Nikon's future success, or
lack therefore, will depend a lot on companies like Adobe, Epson,
Canon (printers), or even Microsoft, and not a whole lot on Kodak or
Ilford any more.

I wonder if the C-company's top guys get it. They might, actually,
since they sell printers.

>It used to be that the camera OEM's only had to deliver an image to a
>piece of film. Hopefully, with the cooperation of the photographer, the
>image would be properly composed, focused and exposed. After that, what
>happens to the film is out of the OEM's hands.
>
>With digital they have the opportunity to be be part of the value chain
>for longer after the shutter is depressed. $$$

Sure, but not by playing these proprietary games.

Besides, in the information technology business, companies do either
hardware or software, but not both. IBM does both, but they are the
exception and then own the mainframe market. Everyone else, at least
everyone else successful, does only hardware (Dell, HP - mostly,
Cisco), or software (Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia.). Apple tries to
do it all, and they have low-single digit market share. Sun does it
all, and they are the walking dead of Silicon Valley these days.

So, Nikon? How much money do you earn with Capture software? It's
profitable, eh? That much???!! But, did you figure how many D70s or
D2x's you won't sell because of that silly game you're playing???

>Cheers,
>Alan

Grandfather's son, Kodak.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:28:28 AM

Father Kodak wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:43:31 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> >I meant that in the context that there is no valid reason for Adobe to
> >not release a plugin that works with PS 7. Well, I suppose more money
> >is a valid reason.
>
> Except that the "received wisdom" in the software business is that you
> don't do updates for a product several major releases back. Besides,
> new "features" such as support for Nikon RAW, is what drives a lot of
> $$$ new releases.

True about that "received wisdom". And, contrary to popular opinion, it
isn't PURELY about getting money for upgrades.

I worked on a product where we charged a periodic licence fee, but
didn't charge for upgrades. Yet we still only supported the most recent
2 versions. The reasons were a whole range of support and compatibility
issues. We didn't want to bug-clear old versions where the new version
had fixed or replaced the code. We didn't want to code and test and
support a complex interworking mix of old and new products working to
different interface versions. Etc.

Even if Adobe charged a periodic licence fee and didn't charge for
upgrades, I would still expect them to support, and develop for,
perhaps just Photoshop CS (8) and CS2 (9) at the moment.

[snip]
> >With digital they have the opportunity to be be part of the value chain
> >for longer after the shutter is depressed. $$$
>
> Sure, but not by playing these proprietary games.
>
> Besides, in the information technology business, companies do either
> hardware or software, but not both. IBM does both, but they are the
> exception and then own the mainframe market. Everyone else, at least
> everyone else successful, does only hardware (Dell, HP - mostly,
> Cisco), or software (Microsoft, Adobe, Macromedia.). Apple tries to
> do it all, and they have low-single digit market share. Sun does it
> all, and they are the walking dead of Silicon Valley these days.
>
> So, Nikon? How much money do you earn with Capture software? It's
> profitable, eh? That much???!! But, did you figure how many D70s or
> D2x's you won't sell because of that silly game you're playing???

Hardware companies typically do SOME software, or at least firmware.
(Sometimes it is hard to tell where the hardware stops and the firmware
starts). Your point appears to be the degree to which they make
businesses out of both. As you say, that can be hard.

But I wouldn't agree with an injunction to Nikon "stick with hardware".
I would say "try both if you like, but make them separate businesses".
Instead of tying them together and irritating their camera users AND
restricting their market for Nikon Capture, why not tell their
"Capture" team "don't rely on a lock-in from camera users, but feel
free to seek customers from other manufacturers".

They could accept DNG files and go after the Canon market, and the
rest. That would be interesting! (It might give them some clues about
the perceived quality of their software. My own impression of the trial
version of Capture is that it is vastly better than the Pentax software
that came with my camera, but incredibly slow on my PC).

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

McLeod wrote:
[snip]
> I don't really understand how Nikon's success will depend on Epson or
> Canon, but Nikon has already forged an alliance with Microsoft. The
> new "Longhorn?" (I don't remember if that's the name or not) will have
> complete support for NEF files.
[snip]

Not true. Various points:

1. What Microsoft are doing is not exclusive to Nikon. Adobe, Canon,
Fujifilm, and Nikon, are simply the main group who have been talking to
Microsoft. And, of those, Nikon are simply the ones who chose to
publicise it.

- "Microsoft and Imaging Industry Leaders Unveil Support for Digital
Camera RAW in Windows - Adobe, Canon, Fujifilm and Nikon are working
with Microsoft to provide seamless digital camera RAW support in
Windows":

http://photoshopnews.com/2005/06/01/microsoft-and-imagi...

Or see the equivalent at: http://tinyurl.com/9erg2

- "Exclusive! Further details on Microsoft's RAW File Support!"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1118162160.html

2. This doesn't provide "complete support for NEF files":

Q: Will there be any provision for application programmers to access
the original RAW data, before it's been de-mosaiced and converted into
RGB pixels?

A: No, the only output format will be RGB. I want to be clear that
we're not going after professional-level RAW conversion. We want to
make sure that there are still opportunities for Adobe, Phase One, and
others to have a business opportunity to develop and market their
pro-level conversion software. They'll continue to be able to provide
much broader abilities to tweak the image data, workflow solutions,
etc.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:51:47 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:54:30 -0700, Father Kodak
<dont_bother@IDontCare.COM> wrote:

> Nikon's future success, or
>lack therefore, will depend a lot on companies like Adobe, Epson,
>Canon (printers), or even Microsoft, and not a whole lot on Kodak or
>Ilford any more.

I don't really understand how Nikon's success will depend on Epson or
Canon, but Nikon has already forged an alliance with Microsoft. The
new "Longhorn?" (I don't remember if that's the name or not) will have
complete support for NEF files.

Personally, I prefer the interface of ACR, but the fact is Adobe now
wants $169 to upgrade to CS2, where Nikon wants $100 for Capture. The
only reason I use Capture is for instant correction of my 10.5 fisheye
to rectilinear, mapping dust on my sensor, vignetting correction, and
writing my IPTC, otherwise I use ACR. The only other good thing
about Capture is if you purchased it once all the upgrades and newer
versions have been free.

I don't think it's a bad thing for more than one company to be
competing over their images and image processing. In the long run it
can only be good for the consumer. I won't upgrade to CS2 right now,
not after just shelling out $899 for CS. Maybe Nikon is shooting
themselves in the foot, but at least in my case, Adobe is as well.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:01:44 PM

McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote:

> I don't really understand how Nikon's success will depend on Epson or
> Canon, but Nikon has already forged an alliance with Microsoft. The
> new "Longhorn?" (I don't remember if that's the name or not) will have
> complete support for NEF files.

That's not much of an "alliance". Mac OS X already has support for NEF.
There isn't much to it, and it's not all that big a deal, either.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:01:44 -0000, Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com>
wrote:

>That's not much of an "alliance". Mac OS X already has support for NEF.
>There isn't much to it, and it's not all that big a deal, either.

I guess I misunderstood the dpreview story. It indicates that there
will be editing capabilities available to all imaging applications
operating within Longhorn.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 11:13:08 PM

McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote:

>> That's not much of an "alliance". Mac OS X already has support for NEF.
>> There isn't much to it, and it's not all that big a deal, either.
>
> I guess I misunderstood the dpreview story. It indicates that there
> will be editing capabilities available to all imaging applications
> operating within Longhorn.

Not really; you only get access to the post-converted data, not the actual
RAW data. In other words, they're basically using Nikon's free SDK.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
!