Sign in with
Your question

Device manager wont show installed Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2012 10:45:20 PM

Hey there, hope someone can help me out with this as I've just ran out of ideas.

I've purchased and installed a Biostar A880GZ mobo everything works fine, CPU, Ram, On-board video.

However when I hook up my video card, Nvidea Geforce 8800GT my monitor "Goes to sleep" I cannot install Nvidea drivers as the installer comes with the error that there is no acceptable hardware, or something like that.

Things I've done:
-Updated BIOS via BIOSTAR website
-Checked and realized that my MOBO doesn't support a DVI-VGA adapter. So I bought a new monitor (Old one was only VGA) with a DVI chord because the 8800GT has only two DVI ports (and one display)
-Checked BIOS made sure display boot priority was correct, PCI-E has priority.
-Fans are working on GPU, 6-pin is correctly installed on GPU, GPU is snug in its PCI-E slot.

Things I have not tried:
-Video card in a different PC. I dont have access to one at this point.
-Disabled the onboard video through device manager. My fear is that if I do that, and try to boot up I wont see anything at all and I'll be screwed.
-Pulled battery out of board resetting BIOS to default. Everythign I've read doesn't point to BIOS being the issue.

For reference my computer set up is as follows:
-Windows 7 x64 fully updated
-BioStar A8800GZ updated BIOS
-GeForce 8800GT
-GSkill 8gig ram
-AMD Phenom x4 965

If anyone has any further suggestions I would be grateful. Thank you!
October 30, 2012 8:00:11 PM

Any suggestions at all?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 5:44:48 AM

Hello Nevenias,

I am trying really hard not to ask the obvious. BUT here goes:

1) Did you plug in the PCI-E power for your graphics card?

2) Did you plug in your monitor into your integrated graphics output? or your graphics card output?

Cofee~

Edit: What's your power supply?
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2012 10:04:15 AM

Yes and video card.
Powersupply is a OCZ 650watt 80plus bronze

When I plug into my video card, monitor goes to sleep. When I plug into my onboard no issues at all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:10:25 AM

You can disable onboard GPU and if it doesn't work then you can just remove the cmos battery to reset the BIOS to factory settings.
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:21:29 AM

I've actually been wondering about this..
If I disable onboard GPU, and my video card still doesn't work. will I be able to re-enable my onboard afterwards? Or is that what removing the cmos battery will do?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:23:25 AM

nevenias said:
I've actually been wondering about this..
If I disable onboard GPU, and my video card still doesn't work. will I be able to re-enable my onboard afterwards? Or is that what removing the cmos battery will do?

Yeah go into the bios and choose the main video adapter to be PCI E and then if it doesn't work you can just remove the video card, then remove the cmos battery and it will reset the bios.
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:31:31 AM

Thanks, Will try that now.
m
l
October 31, 2012 11:55:38 AM

I went into my BIOS and changed the Primary Video Controller to GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
With no change.
I removed the cmos no change

I removed the video card, made sure there was no dust or anything anywhere..Reinstalled it, plugged it in, no change.

Fan is running on the Video Card.

Is there any harm in disabling onboard video via device manager in windows? Would I be able to re-enable it if my video card didn't work?

Oh, it POSTs fine when I plug my monitor into the video card, one beep, monitor just goes to sleep.
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:20:38 PM

If my motherboard/Windows doesn't even see my installed video card, couldn't that indicate a dead PCI-E slot?
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:42:14 PM

nevenias said:
If my motherboard/Windows doesn't even see my installed video card, couldn't that indicate a dead PCI-E slot?

That could be the case, but you should try all options before sending for a replacement mobo. There may be a fault with the actual card itself. It may be that the connector is broken, or that something in the chip is broken.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 12:44:46 PM

Have you tried both dvi ports on the GPU?
m
l
October 31, 2012 12:49:53 PM

Yes I've tried both dvi ports.

I really dont want to send my mobo back for a new one, though if there is no other options I might be outta luck.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? Maybe someone (me) has missed soemthing.

Thanks a ton for the help btw.
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:00:03 PM

nevenias said:
Yes I've tried both dvi ports.

I really dont want to send my mobo back for a new one, though if there is no other options I might be outta luck.

Does anyone have any further suggestions? Maybe someone (me) has missed soemthing.

Thanks a ton for the help btw.

I think you've done everything there is to do to troubleshoot. All you can do now is replace the mobo and see if that fixes the problem; however, if the problem still persists after that than it's a problem with the card itself.
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:19:53 PM

Thanks again everyone. /bow
m
l
October 31, 2012 1:42:19 PM

No problem. Hope you get your problem fixed. And remember come to us for any hardware questions!
m
l
!