Sign in with
Your question

What happens if you install Nvidia drivers for a card thats not there?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 11:09:00 PM

I'm trying to get a 670 to work, Win7 thinks it knows best and tries to install the drivers itself.

Can I just take the card out, install the drivers, then put it back in?

Thanks.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 11:18:28 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, if you attempt to install the drivers without the card installed, you'll run into "Hardware Not Found" errors during the install attempt.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 11:19:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what I'm meant to do with the link?
October 29, 2012 12:27:58 AM

Let windows 7 do its thing. When it's done, download the driver from the link (assuming you have 64 bit windows) and install.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 12:38:50 AM

Before you install the new driver from the link provided, uninstall the old driver from your system, then make a registry clean up (CClearner or other), then re-stat your system, then install the new driver.
October 29, 2012 12:40:57 AM

And don't be alarmed if it fails. It usually takes me about 3-10 tries for a new driver to be installed successfully.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 29, 2012 1:00:06 AM

Thats the thing, I uninstall everything, reboot as required, then seconds after logging in it says 'Your device is ready to use'. The problem I'm having is the card works, just my PC wont take it, I tried 3 of the newest drivers and every time Windows loads and the login screen appears, it lasts maybe 5 seconds and just black screens?
October 29, 2012 3:32:48 AM

cookybiscuit said:
...every time Windows loads and the login screen appears, it lasts maybe 5 seconds and just black screens?

Does the Windows startup audio play after it blackscreens?
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 29, 2012 11:49:14 AM

No.

I contacted Scan about it, they just gave me an RMA invoice. I don't know what to do, I cant get it to work in my PC, but it appears to work fine in another, they'll probably just get it and say it works.
!