Sign in with
Your question

Best Graphics Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2012 11:51:24 PM

Hello Everyone, please could you give me your opinion about a video/graphics card.

I want to upgrade my current card and my price range is basically around 160$ or near. The main things that I'm looking for are, performance - i want to be able to run games well like SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic), doesn't need to be extreme as i just have a single monitor at 1920x1080 and don't crossfire, Temperature - I would just like the video card to be at a fairly low temperature so my system doesn't run the risk of overheating, so like preferably below 40 Celsius for idle, and the last thing would be reliability/life - i just mean like things don't tend to go wrong with the cards often, they just work how they are supposed to an don't give errors, before i have had blue screen of death on previous cards, an for life i just mean I don't have loads of money so i don't want to have to replace the video card in 6 months or so, i would want it to last a couple of years or so preferably :) 

My PC Specifications are below:

ASROCK 970 Extreme 3
750W Power Supply
4Gb Ram
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
Windows 7 64-bit

Thank you very much guys,

Kind Regards,

Oliver

More about : graphics cards

a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2012 11:58:50 PM

6870 is $160, and can handle 1080p on newer titles with playable frame rates ( more than 40 fps)

I would say get it, but if you can save $40 more, get the 7850. It's a great card for the money :) 

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 12:04:21 AM

oliverlausch said:
Hello Everyone, please could you give me your opinion about a video/graphics card.

I want to upgrade my current card and my price range is basically around 160$ or near. The main things that I'm looking for are, performance - i want to be able to run games well like SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic), doesn't need to be extreme as i just have a single monitor at 1920x1080 and don't crossfire, Temperature - I would just like the video card to be at a fairly low temperature so my system doesn't run the risk of overheating, so like preferably below 40 Celsius for idle, and the last thing would be reliability/life - i just mean like things don't tend to go wrong with the cards often, they just work how they are supposed to an don't give errors, before i have had blue screen of death on previous cards, an for life i just mean I don't have loads of money so i don't want to have to replace the video card in 6 months or so, i would want it to last a couple of years or so preferably :) 

ASROCK 970 Extreme 3
750W Power Supply
4Gb Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

Kind Regards,

Oliver

Definately the 7850 1GB. It's like $165, and by far the perfect graphics card for you...
Related resources
October 29, 2012 12:12:51 AM

CaptainTom said:
Definately the 7850 1GB. It's like $165, and by far the perfect graphics card for you...

thats really helpful to me thank you! :D 

...i don't mean to be under appreciative but could i just hear you reasons behind why you said its 'by far the perfect graphics card for you' :)  Thanks
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 12:35:17 AM

oliverlausch said:

...i don't mean to be under appreciative but could i just hear you reasons behind why you said its 'by far the perfect graphics card for you' :)  Thanks

Ahhhh. Don't listen to him. The 7850 is not 160. It's min 199.

Do what I said and get the 6870. If you can wait though, get the 7850, as it's around $40 more.

a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 12:46:28 AM

oliverlausch said:

I have a (now 2) 6950 2GB OC edition. I can max out every game in 1080p! The 7850 is about 10% stronger. With your setup a 7850 would be great. It also operates pretty low temp and low power too...
October 29, 2012 1:06:48 AM

CaptainTom said:
I have a (now 2) 6950 2GB OC edition. I can max out every game in 1080p! The 7850 is about 10% stronger. With your setup a 7850 would be great. It also operates pretty low temp and low power too...

oh cool! Thanks :wahoo: 
October 29, 2012 1:07:37 AM

your all really helpful thanks a bunch :D 
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 1:52:47 AM

zalhera said:
Actually, 7850 is going for $165 if you look hard enough.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 from NCIX:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77258&vpn=11200-16-20...

Ohh. I'm terribly sorry! I just didn't think a card like that would be that cheap! Great deal btw, thanks for the link!
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:23:47 AM

7850 is significantly faster than the 6870 and as pointed out earlier, somewhat faster than the 6950. With the new Catalyst 12.11 V4 drivers, it's probably more like 15-20% faster than the 6950 overall, but still.

However, if you overclock, the 7850 is not just great, it's incredible. It has such huge overclocking headroom that it can beat two overclocked 6870s in CF.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:34:56 AM

blazorthon said:
7850 is significantly faster than the 6870 and as pointed out earlier, somewhat faster than the 6950. With the new Catalyst 12.11 V4 drivers, it's probably more like 15-20% faster than the 6950 overall, but still.

However, if you overclock, the 7850 is not just great, it's incredible. It has such huge overclocking headroom that it can beat two overclocked 6870s in CF.

Yeah actually with the new drivers it is probably more like a 6970! Go for it!
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:43:36 AM

oliverlausch said:

ASROCK 970 Extreme 3
750W Power Supply
4Gb Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

Kind Regards,

Oliver

7850 is a good choice so is the 6xxx series but the 7xxx series are better imo because of the driver updates are really helping boost proformance
!