Sign in with
Your question

670 or 680 help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 2:01:58 AM

After a lot of research I’m down to two cards, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC or the EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB. Advantages for the 670 for me would be exhausts out of the case; top model for evga for the 670’s (best of brand); 680 performances for less $. Advantages for the 680 for me would be well it’s a 680 and this MSI card is very quite according to the reviews.
Any help with my final decision would be greatly appreciated!

More about : 670 680

a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:16:59 AM

670>680 IMO. Similar performance, but with the 680, you pay a little more and have considerably higher power consumption. Sure, some 680s have better coolers, but they're then very large and the voltage locking stops you from making good use of it anyway.

However, I'd recommend looking at the games you play and then looking at a comparison between AMD and Nvidia cards in those games with the recently launched drivers (Catalyst 12.11 v4 and Nvidia's 310.33 are the current numbers IIRC). These drivers changed performance so much from even a few weeks ago that all older reviews are irrelevant. Also, unless the current reviews show a strong Nvidia preference in your favors games, I'd recommend considering a Radeon 7950. Many of them can hang with the 670s and 680s in performance at much lower prices.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:38:49 AM

o.k. rather then go off topic i will try and be helpful to your question that 680 is about 7% faster then the EVGA 670 FTW is it worth paying the extra for that little of a performance gain
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:49:50 AM

Yup get a 670 if its not enough a year from now get another one for half price when the 700 series comes out:) 
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:50:20 AM

I didn't go of topic and I did give a helpful answer to the question. I said that the performance is similar and the 680 is basically paying more just to waste more power. After that, I recommended ensuring that OP be sure that OP is getting the best card series for the games that OP plays and that unless the games favor Nvidia, OP not waste money on a more expensive card such as a 670 or 680 compared to a 7950 when the 7950 does the job jsut as well if not better. That's all on-topic.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 2:55:19 AM

blazorthon said:
I didn't go of topic and I did give a helpful answer to the question. I said that the performance is similar and the 680 is basically paying more just to waste more power. After that, I recommended ensuring that OP be sure that OP is getting the best card series for the games that OP plays and that unless the games favor Nvidia, OP not waste money on a more expensive card such as a 670 or 680 compared to a 7950 when the 7950 does the job jsut as well if not better. That's all on-topic.
Show me a 7950 not overclocked that does just as well if not better and the question was about a 670 or 680 ;) 
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:06:49 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Show me a 7950 not overclocked that does just as well if not better and the question was about a 670 or 680 ;) 

I answered the question and I already told you that. My answer for 670 versus 680 is the top of the first reply, so I shouldn't have to say that I answered it.

Furthermore, any 7950 Boost or factory overclocked 7950 with a 900MHz or better GPU clock frequency can compete with the reference 670 well. Some factory overclocked Boost models and some greater than 925MHz non-Boost factory overclocked models can compete with any factory overclocked 670s and reference 680s quite well while being only marginally slower than a 7970.

Furthermore, like I said, it depends greatly on the settings and also with current drivers, even more greatly on the game than before.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:10:33 AM

blazorthon said:
I answered the question and I already told you that. My answer for 670 versus 680 is the top of the first reply, so I shouldn't have to say that I answered it.

Furthermore, any 7950 Boost or factory overclocked 7950 with a 900MHz or better GPU clock frequency can compete with the reference 670 well. Some factory overclocked Boost models and some greater than 925MHz non-Boost factory overclocked models can compete with any factory overclocked 670s and reference 680s quite well while being only marginally slower than a 7970.

Furthermore, like I said, it depends greatly on the settings and also with current drivers, even more greatly on the game than before.
Relax man i am just giving you a hard time for your favoring amd ways :lol: 
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:13:12 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Relax man i am just giving you a hard time for your favoring amd ways :lol: 

Alright, fine.

If Nvidia would do a better job or at least price more aggressively, then I wouldn't have to argue against them :lol: 

However, they sell just fine anyway, so they have no such incentive... I consider how quickly that they released their new driver after Catalyst 12.11 (a few days? REALLY?) to be proof that they can do better and were holding off for no good reason, at least no good reason for consumers.
m
l
October 29, 2012 3:18:36 AM

I reserched the 7950's and and the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC seems to have the best reviews and most popular on newegg. SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 seems to be the most popular but the reviews conserning drivers are all over the net.

The 2 cards i am considering above seems to have the best reviews in there areas as solid stable cards with good bisness support. I was thinking like thently, in the regards of running 2 GTX 670 FTW in a year to keep my gameing performance up as the 700 come out. Im just looking for a solid gaming card that is reliable and cool with as litle problems as posible that still OC's. I know futcher proofing is almost imposible but im not looking to replace my cards every year but SLI or crossfire is definitly an option.

I have 500$ to spend on the best wether it's last years card or this years card. (solid gaming card that is reliable, cool and quit)
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:21:12 AM

For the prince of the EVGA GTX 670 FTW you can get the HD 7970 GHz which is on top of GTX 680, it's the Gigabyte Windforce 3X..better cooling & greater performance.
EDIT: AMD has recently done very well regarding the drivers matter, the new CCC 12.11 beta boost performance for all the HD 6K and 7K series.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:38:12 AM

I really don't understand why more people don't recommend Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.I bought my son this card and lol i hate to admit it but it's a beast i am pretty fond of it he can max out pretty much any game @1920 x 1080.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:44:29 AM

Lol bigcyco shedding the truth everywhere i turn it seems.

Nvidia has beta drivers out now to who knows what will happen when they release there drivers. Also, with AMD's current struggles I'm unsure I feel okay putting faith into them. But that is just me.

If the guy is set on the gtx 670 or the gtx 680 you can just look at it like this that the 670 is able to hit 680 speeds if you were to overclock and is about 100 dollars cheaper so its probably a better option to go with that. If you want the best value at the price point then yes the 7970 ghz edition would be it.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:49:51 AM

bigshootr8 said:

Nvidia has beta drivers out now to who knows what will happen when they release there drivers. Also, with AMD's current struggles I'm unsure I feel okay putting faith into them. But that is just me.

If the guy is set on the gtx 670 or the gtx 680 you can just look at it like this that the 670 is able to hit 680 speeds if you were to overclock and is about 100 dollars cheaper so its probably a better option to go with that. If you want the best value at the price point then yes the 7970 ghz edition would be it.
Careful you don't want to get a debate going with blazorthon it will go on for days screw all that :lol: 
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:56:42 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Careful you don't want to get a debate going with blazorthon it will go on for days screw all that :lol: 

Haha and ha. At least you can spell my user name right, most other members tend to screw my user name up when they pick on me, in good fun or otherwise :lol: 

bigshootr8 said:

Just what struggles are you talking about?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 3:59:44 AM

Well there money troubles for one. AMD isn't exactly in the best financial situation. I mean the ATi portion of AMD that was absorbed is doing pretty well yes but there CPU side isn't and as a whole there company isn't doing so well.

http://www.statesman.com/news/business/amds-changes-mak...
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 4:17:39 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Well there money troubles for one. AMD isn't exactly in the best financial situation. I mean the ATi portion of AMD that was absorbed is doing pretty well yes but there CPU side isn't and as a whole there company isn't doing so well.

http://www.statesman.com/news/business/amds-changes-mak...

What does that have to do with this? They're doing well enough to stay afloat for at least several years and by which time they'll have both the increased transition to well-threaded software and their own performance per core and scaling improvements from Steamroller and Excavator helping them out on the CPU side tremendously. They're also working on competition for tablet processors such as with their Z-60 APUs, so they're getting into other markets.

With AMD also getting an influx of some of their older engineers such as experts that worked on Phenom II that was greatly competitive with Core 2 and even with Nehalem, they have an even better chance of succeeding than the above implies on its own. Besides, if AMD tanks, then Intel would have no direct competition and would be screwed over by anti-trust lawsuits and such, so Intel would put AMD on life support if it was necessary. Furthermore, AMD's current situation is still greatly impacted by their getting rid of GF as a part of AMD, so things will improve as that loss of cash gets rectified by AMD's newer products. With the 8xxx series seeming to have a huge lead on the GTX 7xx series and having incredibly attractive prices according to current info, AMD could really get going again over the next few months.

Regardless, like I said, their financial situation doesn't change the fact that the 7xxx cards are superior options. Even if AMD somehow manages to screw up further and tanks, that's several years from now and isn't relevant to OP's situation.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 4:21:13 AM

blazorthon said:
What does that have to do with this? They're doing well enough to stay afloat for at least several years and by which time they'll have both the increased transition to well-threaded software and their own performance per core and scaling improvements from Steamroller and Excavator helping them out on the CPU side tremendously. They're also working on competition for tablet processors such as with their Z-60 APUs, so they're getting into other markets.

With AMD also getting an influx of some of their older engineers such as experts that worked on Phenom II that was greatly competitive with Core 2 and even with Nehalem, they have an even better chance of succeeding than the above implies on its own.

Regardless, like I said, their financial situation doesn't change the fact that the 79xx cards are superior options. Even if AMD somehow manages to screw up further and tanks, that's several years from now and isn't relevant to OP's situation.
:lol:  leave him be come over here do you think a 7850 will fit his case http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/375675-33-7850-nvdia#
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 4:21:33 AM

Starting to see what you were talking about bigcyco1 haha! What amazes me is how not once in this thread has the guy who started it responded. No one asked if he would be willing to go for a AMD product or what he would think of it. Seems to me the only person who listened to what he really had to say was those who didn't go on the amd versus nvidia tangent.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 4:23:57 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Starting to see what you were talking about bigcyco1 haha! What amazes me is how not once in this thread has the guy who started it responded. No one asked if he would be willing to go for a AMD product or what he would think of it. Seems to me the only person who listened to what he really had to say was those who didn't go on the amd versus nvidia tangent.

Don't give me that crap. I started off my first post here answering OP's question of 670 versus 680 before saying anything about AMD.
m
l
October 29, 2012 4:26:42 AM

I I have responded, I was just studding up on that Safire card and the trouble AMD is having which could become a problem to AMD owners. Thx for all your responses, it helped make my up my mined
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 4:30:30 AM

dsventimiglia said:
I I have responded, I was just studding up on that Safire card and the trouble AMD is having which could become a problem to AMD owners. Thx for all your responses, it helped make my up my mined
No problem glad we could help :) 
m
l
!