Best way to view skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
So I am getting a new monitor, and I really want to know which viewing type offers the best visual quality for skyrim.
1. 120hz 2d on S27A950D-27in. Tn panel 2d 1080p 120hz display.
2. Nvidia 3d vision 2 on asus vg278h-27in. Tn panel with 3d, 1080p, 120hz.
3. 60hz 2d on S27A850D-27in. Ips panel 2d 2560x1440p 60hz.
Which of these three options will make skyrim (enhanced with graphical improvement mods) look best?

I have two evga gtx 670 ftw in sli and don't want microstuttering...

Solution
I'd go with option 2. 3D is awesome, and 120hz is still an option for games which don't work well with 3D. 120hz gains a much smoother more fluid experience, as well as more responsive.

Skyrim does have issues with 3D, but there is a mod that fixes them as well as other games. Take a look at this site if you choose 3D Vision:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

And before someone tells you how gimmicky 3D is, 3D Vision gaming is far superior to almost all 3D movie experiences.

jimmyjohnz

Honorable
May 14, 2012
The 3rd option will arguably look the best due to it being an IPS panel and having a very high resolution. The other two have TN panels which are known to have less spectacular visuals. The main attraction of these 120hz panels is for FPS games and isn't something you really need for a more story based game like Skyrim.

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I realize it's personal choice, but i've never seen what the monitors do with a game like skyrim, and have looked online but not found anything, so I wanted to know what people's opinions were and what they based their opinions on (i.e. experience)

I'd go with option 2. 3D is awesome, and 120hz is still an option for games which don't work well with 3D. 120hz gains a much smoother more fluid experience, as well as more responsive.

Skyrim does have issues with 3D, but there is a mod that fixes them as well as other games. Take a look at this site if you choose 3D Vision:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

And before someone tells you how gimmicky 3D is, 3D Vision gaming is far superior to almost all 3D movie experiences.

Solution

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Thanks for your two cents!

That was at least a nickel. :p

Anyways, 120hz gives the most fluid experience. Good for those who get simulator sickness (I do).
High res IPS gets a sharper picture, though Skyrim has poor textures, so I'm not sure how that is affected, but IPS also gives truer colors.
3D gives you another dimension. This would definitely add the most unique difference to the game.

Your best off going with a high resolution and here's why:

1. You need to manage 120fps for 120hz, and you will need SLI unless you run graphics on medium or low.

2. 3D will take a big chuck out of your performance.

3. 120hz is mainly good for first person shooters.

4. Higher resolution will make things more clear; plus you shouldn't technically need as much AA because of more pixels on the screen.

So unless you can manage 120fps or 60(with 3D) I don't think it's worth it; my GTX 670 struggles on Skryim, but I do have lots of mods and high resolution textures with bog it down a lot.

1) From experience, i can tell you that you do not need 120 FPS for 120hz to have an advantage, but I would say you'd want to reach at least 80. Skyrim easily reaches that and more: http://media.bestofmicro.com/Q/P/331441/original/skyrim%201920.png

2) 3D will run well on a single 680, as I've done this a lot, but you will go without AA, but in 3D AA is far less needed as the 2 images have a way of blending together in a way that it seems like less jaggies.

3) 120hz is mainly for 1st person and over the shoulder views. When you control the view with a mouse in a near 1st person perspective, responsiveness is critical for an enjoyable experience. While FPS games are the major type of game with this perspective, many RPG's are also like this, including Skyrim.

I'll agree with 4.

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Textures aren't a problem as I will be using hd texture mods.

And yes, that was indeed actually a nickel. My bad. :)

As I mentioned, only option 2, the ASUS monitor in the list, will support 3D on Nvidia cards. While that may not be your primary reason for the monitor, it adds additional value to the purchase, and would be my choice. You may find yourself really liking 3D, as I did, even though I was also purchasing for 120hz.

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Hmmm... Ok, can anyone recommend to me a 3d monitor that is also good at 2d quality and colors as well?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
More likely you've reached outside the expertise of the people watching the thread. In general, if we don't have a good answer, we wait for somebody else to.

3D just isn't that popular right now. A small number of people use it, and a lot of people just can't tolerate it. For 3D monitor reviews, you're going to need to go searching yourself and see what you can find.

All active 3D monitors are TN monitors. While some TN monitors are decent, none of them have professional grade colors. You can download some software that helps you adjust the colors, but it won't be as good as one calibrated.

For gaming purposes, accurate color means next to nil, as the game developers design their games around TN panels.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Correct color representation isn't very important anyway, for the average user. Sure, it's beyond critical for a lot of applications, but if your blues are 1% too green, you're unlikely to notice. Even if they're way off most people won't notice unless there's a side by side comparison with a professional panel.

If you're used to perfect color representation, it can be a pain to switch, but if this is your first time worry about it, just forget it unless you're willing to spend more than twice as much on your display. You'll be happier not knowing how bad the colors on your monitor are.

iamlegend999

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Alright thanks guys. I've decided (as of now) on picking up both an asus vg278h (for the 3d and 120hz) and a asus pa238q (for the ips quality) and while I will probably be disgusted with the 2d performance of thevg278h (even though it has good 2d by tn standards), It'll be fine during games and with 3d. For everyhting else, I can just rely on the pa238q. What do you guys think? I'll probably pick these up around black friday or cyber monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.