Sign in with
Your question

20 ms on my monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2012 8:54:02 AM

Hello,Hello, my monitor has 20 ms and i have no idea if thats good or bad. I mostly just play World of warcraft, Star wars the old republic and i'm going to play Planetside 2. If the computer matters herr is my specs:
2 AMD Radeon HD 6950 in crossfire with unlocked shaders
8 Gb ram
Intel Core i5 760

Thanks For Advance

More about : monitor

October 29, 2012 9:15:25 AM

Saahamon said:
Hello,Hello, my monitor has 20 ms and i have no idea if thats good or bad. I mostly just play World of warcraft, Star wars the old republic and i'm going to play Planetside 2. If the computer matters herr is my specs:
8 Gb ram
Intel Core i5 760

Thanks For Advance

What is that 20ms? response time of monitor??
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2012 9:53:47 AM

20 ms is horrible. Did you mean to say 2ms? 2 would be good.
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2012 10:31:33 AM

You must have mixed something up. They don't make 20 ms monitors.
October 29, 2012 11:16:48 AM

Well i think it is the response time. all i know is the monitor is a HP L1925
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2012 11:27:58 AM

Wow that thing says <20 ms response time. That must be ghost pretty bad. It's also 1280x1024. I think it is time for you to save $100 for a cheap 1920x1080 monitor. Anything will be better than that HP you have.
a b C Monitor
October 29, 2012 11:41:58 AM

Yeah, it came out almost 10 years ago, time to get a new one.
October 29, 2012 12:09:35 PM

Saahamon said:
Well i think it is the response time. all i know is the monitor is a HP L1925

Yes it is response rate and is worst at its best. Every one prefer less then 5 ms. If you can change the monitor change it. Given that you have 2 AMD Radeon HD 6950 in crossfire it is not optimum to have that monitor. Games will not be at their full glory.
October 29, 2012 12:55:28 PM

Saahamon said:
8 Gb ram
Intel Core i5 760

Thanks For Advance

The 20 ms is the response time (how long the monitor takes to switch from one frame to another), so 20 ms (milliseconds) would translate into having the monitor capable of showing 50 frames per second. Usually video cards are putting out about 60 frames per second, so you may notice some slight smearing of the image (i.e. a ghost of the previous frame is still visible while the current frame is being displayed).

You should note that they changed the way that they report response rates, so any comparison between your monitor's 20 ms, and a current monitor's 2 ms is meaningless. The monitor manufacturers are using the time for switching between greys instead of black and white now.

That said, the only effect would be how clear the image looks when there's a lot of motion or very quick changes to elements on the screen. The response time could have some minor effect on how well you play if you have near super-human reflexes, but in most cases will just affect how clear the image looks when it's changing.

Finally, larger monitors with more pixels have become very inexpensive, and I'd say that you should consider replacing it if you have the cash. You could also consider keeping it as a second monitor, so you play on a better bigger screen, and have a chat, browser or some other app sitting there while you play. Think of being able to reference wowhead while still having the game visible.
!